Forums Latest Members
  1. bananafish05 Mar 23, 2016

Hello lovely forum dwellers,

I recently got a new job and thought I'd reward myself with a vintage timepiece. Not the most high-paying job so can't afford anything super flash but I've liked the look of the Omega Speedmasters (ever since seeing Don Draper's watch I admit). Anyway, found this on ebay and it looks promising but I was hoping to get some feedback first before I put down any money. Based on my own research, my fear is that it's a frankenwatch - thoughts? It also looks quite heavily polished and repainted but I don't know if that's a huge concern given that I'm hoping to use it to wear rather than as part of a collection. Any help would be very much appreciated. Here's the ebay link: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OMEGA-SE...DIAL-STAINLESS-STEEL-1966-WATCH-/272180037415Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

upload_2016-3-24_10-44-57.png

upload_2016-3-24_10-45-14.png

Is it a concern the back of the case has no information on it?

upload_2016-3-24_10-45-40.png

upload_2016-3-24_10-45-48.png

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 23, 2016

Its a very pretty watch and shows well. Price does not seem too insane to me. Someone else can comment on the dial being real or not, and what the price could be if so.

Edited Mar 23, 2016
    bananafish05 likes this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 23, 2016

PASS

Seller is well known on eBay for over polished watches with refinished dials, which usually sell at silly prices to buyers who don't know better.

noelekal, chronos, marco and 2 others like this.
  4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 23, 2016

Understand you want to wear not collect but buying this would be crazy as the minute you win the auction it's a <$200 dollar watch all day.

One thing that is annoying for us more than anything is people like you getting ripped off paying top dollar for a Redialed watch when the same money could buy you a original watch that is worth what you paid for it.

5. bananafish05 Mar 23, 2016

Hi all,
    Thanks for your help. While I want wear rather than collect, I don't want be stooged into buying something that's no where near what it's worth.
    A question, when you say 'Redialed' does that mean the dial has been painted over, or that it's a dial from another watch that's been added?

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 23, 2016

Stripped clean and then repainted, same metal dial that left the factory.
    Original watch was probably not even a black dialled deville

The removal of the case information is to conceal that it was not even a deville but a lesser model..

noelekal, OMGRLX and bananafish05 like this.
  7. bananafish05 Mar 23, 2016

Okay thanks, Standy. In future, I should always look for a watch with case info. I figured it was way too good looking for an original watch from the 60s. Glad I checked!

8. arkstfan Mar 23, 2016

Be patient, comb the listings here, don't stop at page one. Use watch recon you can filter the search by price and it will show watches here and other sites and you can scope out their reputation and posting history to get a feel for their credibility.

bananafish05 likes this.
  9. sky21 Mar 23, 2016

Another potential troublesome purchase foiled by OF! Just wish more people knew to ask here first BEFORE buying!

OMGRLX and ahartfie like this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 23, 2016

sky21 likes this.
  11. Ravineman Mar 23, 2016

It is not a collectable watch to you experts ....
    I am no expert not but it's not a $200 watch either.

12. bananafish05 Mar 23, 2016

Thanks everyone for your help - very glad I asked here before committing.

@STANDY I actually did see that after @arkstfan recommended I check out watch recon but didn't act soon enough. Bit hard searching for wathces when I'm supposed to be working ;). It's useful to know a rough idea of a price though and it's nice to see it's a bit cheaper than I was willing to pay in the first post. Will have to keep my eye out. Thanks again!

noelekal likes this.
  13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 24, 2016

Case back being ground down to disguise what it was and Redialed the only thing worth anything on the watch is the movement. Might look like it's worth more to you, but a polished turd is still a turd

The sale of these type of watches are to swindle poor newbies or unsuspecting people out of their money....

noelekal likes this.
  14. Ravineman Mar 24, 2016

Most watch buyers don't care that much about the inside of the case back or worry if the face has had a slight polish. If it is an attractive redial with a good movement is going to be a nice watch for someone to own and wear.
    Its not a "turd" and its not for an expert collector ..... but its not a $ 200 watch either.

15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 24, 2016

So every post we get from some poor noobie that gets sucked in buy these type of watches I will point your way. It's worth what somebody pays but if your asking me for help like the OP did, he's going to get my opinion.

So in your world
    image.jpeg

Willem023 and noelekal like this.
  16. Ravineman Mar 24, 2016

I agree its overpriced but ..... the market value will be determined in 3 days
    The $200 you feel its worth was passed long ago

6 bidders made 57 bids. Current bid: US $610.00 so, the maket likes the watch
    It$ worth what a buyer is willing to pay

17. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Mar 24, 2016

Yea Standy!

What good's an internet forum if members only get on to say " it's all good," hold hands and sing "Kumbaya?

STANDY likes this.
  18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 24, 2016

So what market value do we use from now on for a real deville .

Do I put mine that's original up by $1000 now.. Because a dodgy eBay seller can pass this off to a unsuspecting person by being deceitful for close to a decent original deville

Bet there is more than 57 people on here that will agree it's worth less than $200 to them...

Market value is a educated seller, selling to a educated buyer.

This is a shonkster selling to a uneducated buyer.

Willem023, Archer and arkstfan like this.
  19. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 24, 2016

The market value theme has been played out on the forum ad nauseum

But true value only counts if the buyers know what they are getting
    Of course if the buyers are happy with their purchase then that is all that actually counts

However it truly makes my piss boil when you see messed up watches sell for the price of good ones
    ( Ref the Connies I posted the other day!)
    -and would the buyers still be happy if they knew they were paying through the nose for sub -standard goods?
    I think not....

Well done OP for coming to the right place for sound advice

bananafish05, Ravineman and dx009 like this.
  20. Ravineman Mar 24, 2016

agreed