Forums Latest Members
  1. john213 Aug 5, 2018

I'm ready to buy my first Omega. I'm looking to buy a new Speedmaster (Moonwatch
    Professional Chronograph 42 MM, Steel on Steel, 311.30.42.30.01.005)

I never ordered a watch online and never bought a watch this expensive but I was looking at the price online vs buying it in a local Omega boutique. I kinda understand why it's cheaper online and the whole grey market thing but my only concern is that I get a fake one since this will be my first expensive watch purchase.

The price from local Omega boutique is $5,250 pretax. I was looking at the piece on Amazon and it is listed as $3,500. That's almost $2,000 difference if you factor taxes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NIF9H3U

I've read through all the reviews and questions on that page and the only difference is that if I buy it thru Amazon, the 2 year warranty does not come from Omega but from Amazon third party. I'm not really sure if this is a big deal and not sure how much to service an Omega watch.

What do you guys think?

2. Marty McDawg Aug 5, 2018

I do appreciate amazons convenience, but I’d be more apt to buy from one of the guys here. There are plenty of BNIB .005 available in the seller forums. I’d check that out. Often they come with Omega manufactures warranty. So you’d have that peace of mind.

Something just doesn’t feel right about buying an Omega from Amazon. I could be wrong, but it makes me uneasy.

Edited Aug 5, 2018
    ptfly, Wivac and kilofinal like this.
  3. kilofinal Aug 5, 2018

As stated, you'll find reputable sellers here on the forum selling that exact model for around the same price. You'll also get the factory warranty

Marty McDawg likes this.
  4. S.H. Aug 5, 2018

My own opinion :

- I would not buy even a paper napkin from amazon, I do not like their policy (HR, taxes, etc...) at least in Europe/my country. Bottom line, I think they use the existing infrastructure without contributing much in return so they do no get my business.
    - there are various grey dealers/genuine recent 2nd hand sellers, online or IRL shops
    - If you are in Europe for example, the VAT can vary from one country to the next but there are no customs, you can play with that but check the warranty first

Getting a fake is one thing, having a problem with a new watch is another and it is nice to have a hassle- and cost-free warranty.

Quite a few possibilities indeed, the less costly are usually the more embarrassing if there is a problem before two years. Money buys some peace of mind sometimes, and you do not plonk a few thousands on a watch to cope with after sale problems.

Your money, your game, ultimately your risk...

ioaniro and Marty McDawg like this.
  5. many Aug 5, 2018

A standard speedy service will run I think $750 at an OB. There are plenty of trusted sellers where you can get a speedy with an omega warranty in the mid 3 range.

Marty McDawg likes this.
  6. Chago Aug 5, 2018

I literally just bought my first Omega last week. I spent weeks if not months reading up on grey market vs authorized dealer. I live in Canada but travel to the usa twice or more a month. So then I debated buy in USA as it's typically cheaper then Canada. After all of this though. I ended up buying at a local authorized dealer. Reason being... I decided totally against grey market. I called omega customer service directly, I wanted to hear it from the horse's mouth and not a sales guy. I called tech support and lied saying I needed a repair and told them I bought the watch from a grey market dealer. Won't name which one on here. I was immediately given the speech about we can't guarantee your watch is 100 percent authentic, we will look at it but if we open it and anything is different. Even if it is authentic but it looks like someone has opened it up who is not authorized it's counted as counterfeit. So after that call, for me I knew I wanted a authorized dealer. If I'm spending $10k I want to be able to walk into any omega on the planet and be treated right.

Secondly buying local made more sense for me as well. The Canadian dealer gave me a good enough discount where that buying in the USA had no benefit for me. Plus now having a local source for information on my piece. Cleanings everytime my wife and I are in that mall. Etc. It just made way more sense. Good luck

S.H. likes this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 5, 2018

Just so you know, the speech you were given is complete nonsense. Omega does not treat a watch that is genuine as counterfeit if someone who is "unauthorized" opens it up. If they were to find aftermarket parts on an Omega (acrylic crystal for example) they would just replace the parts with genuine parts during the service. They are clearly trying to direct you to an AD, and seem willing to lie through their teeth to do it.

Cheers, Al

kilofinal and Marty McDawg like this.
  8. Marty McDawg Aug 5, 2018

I was hoping someone with more clout than me would weigh in with this response.

I assumed this was the case, but Al did a better job of explaining the reality of their spiel.

Regards,
    B

9. many Aug 5, 2018

I definitely understand the desire to buy you first Omega at an OB. That's how I purchased my first one as well. I go into my local OB once every couple months and enjoy a nice chat with the gentleman I bought a bracelet from but I don't know if I'd buy another watch from an OB purely from a pricing perspective.

10. sevykor Aug 5, 2018

I would stay clear of amazon. There are other sources that will yield a safer purchase experience. If you do not feel confident in your ability to scrutinize the seller, policy and received merchandise, the boutique/AD is your best bet.

11. Chago Aug 5, 2018

Either way. I ended up using grey market websites as a bargaining tool at the authorized dealer. I paid the same price at the authorized dealer. Maybe a couple hundred dollars more. But worth it in my opinion.

12. auxpomme Aug 5, 2018

Let’s be clear. Amazon is not selling omegas. A third party vendor is using their platform to conduct a transaction. Similar to how nobody actually buys anything from eBay. A seller is using eBay to run their auction or sale. With that said, lol, I would never ever buy a nice watch or even a lousy watch from a third party seller on amazon.