Forums Latest Members
  1. Gemma Jun 8, 2012

Hi there, wondering if you can help at all.

I am looking to purchase a vintage omega watch as a wedding gift for my fiancé. This is not until next year but I thought I would start the process early. I am looking to spend up to a max of £500 but would prefer £300-£400, which I realise isn’t a lot but weddings are expensive!

He currently has an omega seamaster aqua terra with coaxial movement, which he bought new in around 1999 which he wears everyday (i think a new one is £3k). It looks like this:

The one i want to buy him should be movement not quartz and from 60’s/70’s ish, as he currently has a bracelet watch I thought a leather strap would be nice but im open. In your expert opinion which type of watch would afford the best deal as such? From my own research I think I get a better ‘deal’ with the de Ville’s e.g. condition, movement etc.

Also last thing.. Is engraving it a crime?? Am I being a total philistine?

Any advice/steer would be appreciated as I am useless! Thanks in advance.

2. ulackfocus Jun 8, 2012

Hi Gemma, welcome to Omega Forums. Good idea for the gift. A Seamaster or Seamaster De Ville falls easily in your budget, and a nice one at that. You are correct that Seamaster De Villes will generally be less expensive that Seamasters all other things being equal. Your top end budget converts to US $770. T hat would cover a near perfect example of a 60's SMDV automatic (self winding) or a very good to excellent Seamaster 600 (manual winding). A late 50's or early 60's Genève is also an excellent model that can be had with your budget, and they came in both manual and automatic. Be aware that your choice will probably need to be serviced if you purchase through eBay. (details if you'd like) That place is a minefield. Luckily, we're a bunch of Omega nerds and will happily help you. If you find some listings that you believe have potential, post them here (direct links or pictures) and we'll give you our opinions.

To directly answer your final questions:

No, an engraving is not a crime, but not very desired in most circumstances. This watch will commemorate your wedding. You don't want somebody else's commemorative engraving on the back. ;)

No, you aren't displaying normal n00b behavior - you asked BEFORE you made a purchase. It's usually the other way around leading to us breaking some bad news to the new member about a poor purchase. If you found us and had the foresight to ask for help you can't be useless. :thumbsup:

3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 8, 2012

Helps to narrow it down further - automatic or manual? time only, date or day-date? size range - 34mm or less, 35-36mm or larger than 36mm? Case material - stainless steel or gold plated/gold cap?

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 8, 2012

I'm going to throw the Geneve Dynamic out there too as an option, automatic bullseye dial is a better watch than most give it credit for being

5. Gemma Jun 8, 2012

Wow thanks for the quick replies. I am thinking automatic is preferable, time and date, 34mm would be fine certainly no bigger than 36mm - he has little girly wrists!

I will have a hunt around and post any I think look good. I have seen a seller (UK) called Austin kaye http://www.austinkaye.co.uk/ who looked reputable and gives two years guarantee - any one had any experience of this seller?

Thanks guys!

6. ulackfocus Jun 8, 2012

Oh boy, now we've got you. Muah ha ha haaaaa!

[​IMG]

I'm not sure of that particular dealer, but almost every one will charge a large premium over average market selling price - and sometimes there's still no guarantee the watch is authentic and/or correct. You'll do well checking the sales forums of watch websites. Most members are pretty good with pricing and usually have decent watches, plus they'll be very honest in answering questions since they want their reputation to remain good.

7. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jun 8, 2012

Maybe something like this?

[​IMG]

Instead of buying from a dealer you could always pick something up from ebay and get it overhauled. Then you won't have to pay a premium and it'll come out looking like new!

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 8, 2012

Cal 75x would be a great choice

9. ulackfocus Jun 8, 2012

Yep, Kyle made a good call. That's one of those "insider" watches that most of the veteran Omega group has. Timeless design and fantastic components. The standard versions can be had for under $550 in most cases and the chronometer versions run a hundred or two more. There's still a chance for a bargain on them too.

10. Gemma Jul 10, 2012

Hi all,

Many thanks for your help so far.. so I have found a few I like on Ebay and wanted your thoughts on quality/possible price range I should bid to...links below:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280912943858?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330758827524?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280913877021?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320939317711?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120934205828?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221060239714?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330757675260?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230822874418?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Thanks in advance guys!

Gem

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 10, 2012

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 10, 2012

13. ulackfocus Jul 10, 2012

Meh. Pass.

Neither are bad watches. I'd say your safe going to $450 / £290 on either one, maybe a smidge more on #3.

Bad dial at top right. Pass.

Redial. Didn't bother to look closer after that. Pass.

Nice one and pick of this litter. I'd offer up to $650 / £418 for it but you should try lower.

Redial. Pass.

Can't tell you much about manual winds. Something seems fishy about this watch though.

14. Gemma Jul 10, 2012

Thanks again! When you say redial assume it has been replaced and that's bad?

Also if a watch has replacement parts and they aren't signed I assume that means it wasn't done my omega- and I'm guessing that's bad too?

Apologies for the no doubt stupid questions!

15. ulackfocus Jul 10, 2012

Yes, redial means the finish has been repainted - and it's rarely correct. As far as replacement parts, if they're authentic Omega that's not a big issue. Collectors prefer original but that might not be feasible all the time.

And don't worry about the questions. We were all new here once and had similar questions back then. ;)

16. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jul 10, 2012

Pretty sure number 5 is a fake. :thumbsdown: Personally I like 2 and 3.

17. Gemma Jul 10, 2012

18. ulackfocus Jul 10, 2012

That seems to be put together with replacement parts. The scratch on the inside of the caseback matches the scuffed up part of the movement above OMEGA. Don't think it would have been made like that from the factory. The dial is certainly a replacement - it appears to be authentic Omega, but one made later to be used when the watch's original dial is too far damaged. I'd keep an eye on it just to see what it sells for. Because it's pretty it will probably sell to an unsuspecting bidder for too much money.

Wait for another opinion or two though, because I'm not so hot with the manual wind models.

JohannesFact likes this.
  19. JohannesFact Jul 10, 2012

I have nothing constructive to add, except to thank the experts for their sleuthwork. I've been following along for educational purposes, and it's of enormous benefit. Love the matching scratch clue!

20. ulackfocus Jul 10, 2012

Learned that from vintage Longines automatics. The 34x/35x series has a rotor that can really get out of plane and wobble like an unbalanced top if the bearings at it's hub are worn from lack of proper maintenance. The first thing to look at is the caseback. The rotor is actually cheap to replace but the caseback is expensive in solid gold. ;)