Help buying a 601 watch - genuine or not

Hello everyone, I am looking to buy my first Omega and I want a 601. I am relatively new to Omega and just found a listing which seems very bizarre.

The caliber is 601. However the caseback says 162.009 which is an automatic watch with a day.

The dial looks fine, except for the Ω which seems fat and there's little space between the two horizontal lines at it's bottom.

The crown is obviously non-genuine, the strap too.

Thanks.IMG_20240428_172436.jpg IMG_20240428_172625.jpg IMG_20240428_172709.jpg
Edited:

Backs can get swapped.

Automatic backs are deeper to account for the rotor. Crystals can be higher to account for date.

Dial photos are too blurry for any evaluation.

I’d say the caseback (and crown) have been swapped at some point. Not hard to find a nice Omega with 6xx so I’d pass and wait for an original one

I’d say the caseback (and crown) have been swapped at some point. Not hard to find a nice Omega with 6xx so I’d pass and wait for an original one
Where is the best place to get one? Should I stick to just eBay, the forum and Chrono?

Btw, do you think the dial is fake(repainted)? The omega letter seems messed up to me on this one.

I think the dial is fine. EBay and the forum is the best place imo. You won’t get the absolute bargains on the forum you sometimes find on eBay, but there and gone bargains require experience, otherwise you’re at risk of buying a dud.

I think the dial is fine. EBay and the forum is the best place imo. You won’t get the absolute bargains on the forum you sometimes find on eBay, but there and gone bargains require experience, otherwise you’re at risk of buying a dud.
Buying from ebay you're ALWAYS at risk of buying a dud. You can mitigate the risk a bit with experience - but even if everything looks right, you can still wind up with a problem watch.
It's also worth noting that a very high proportion of the watches on ebay are junk. The seller demograpghic has changed from being mostly private sellers, to mostly dealers. A very high proportion of the dealers are selling tarted up tat and either lying about the originality, or being devious with their wording.
I don't think ebay is a good place for the inexperienced to buy vintage watches any more. Too many unsrcupulous dealers looking to make a fast buck of other people's lack of experience.
The other online sales platforms (e.g. Chrono24) are a bit better than ebay, but are not immune from redials and franken watches. The only safe way to buy is via the online fora, or from a reputable bricks and mortar store.

Like 1
Thanks for all the comments. So... do you think this is just a legit 131.019 with a fake crown and wrong caseback? Is it worth buying for 340€?
Edited:

Thanks for all the comments. So... do you think this is just a legit 131.019 with a fake crown and wrong caseback? ?

Yes.

Is it worth buying for 340€?

No

So you think I should be able to obtain a good 131.019 for cheaper? Imho, I don't believe I can find one for less than 350 €. I wonder how much would it cost to just buy a proper caseback and crown if I buy this one.

You’re always better paying slightly more for a good example to start with. Projects like this will likely cost you more in the long run.

Like 2
I just checked and I believe I will have to pay around 100€ for a caseback and crown. I will think about it. Do I need specific tools to swap them if I do this?(not just a basic cheap crap watch kit from Amazon)

Changing the caseback shouldn't be an issue. The crown requires a bit more work, probably better to leave it to a watchmaker.

Every time I have talked myself into buying a watch I have had regrets. Find a decent one these are not rare.

Every time I have talked myself into buying a watch I have had regrets. Find a decent one these are not rare.
What price should I aim for?

What price should I aim for?
Don't aim for a price.

Either you have a budget, in which case we can give you some advice about what you can plausibly find that price range.

Otherwise, pick a watch that you like, and then do some research to figure out how much a decent example will cost.

Like 1
Budgets can be stretched. If it's scratched and fugly, dirty, even 250€ can seem like a lot.

If it's pristine and mint, and I know it's all genuine and not a redial and it clicks with me(hands shape, dial color, etc.), 500-550€ can feel right.
This is why I want to understand the price ranges.

Budgets can be stretched. If it's scratched and fugly, dirty, even 250€ can seem like a lot.

Yes, but will you look back at your collection of imperfect watches and wish you saved up for one or two really nice models instead?

Like 2

If it's pristine and mint, and I know it's all genuine and not a redial and it clicks with me(hands shape, dial color, etc.), 500-550€ can feel right.
This is why I want to understand the price ranges.

We can’t give a price for this watch as there is only one, out of focus picture of the dial. It looks like it might have staining, but perhaps it’s shadow.
If it has staining on the dial, plus wrong crown and wrong caseback, it might be worth £150 to someone, but that someone wouldn’t be me. I wouldn’t pay 1/2 of that for it as it could be a time consuming hassle and at the end of it I’d be left with a non original, average watch.

You have to decide what you want.
On here you're talking to collectors. We all want watches that are in factory original condition. Some of us will accept a bit of patina on the dial, if it's the right kind of patina, others collect only watches in remarkable condition.
The advice you receive will be heavily biased towards the above.
You may decide that you're not interested in the above. It may not matter to you that the crown is wrong, or that there may be a mark on the dial. Or, or, or...
You're being told that you should be able to get a better condition watch for this money. I think that's true, but I also know that it will take effort to search for one and time. You may decide that you prefer instant gratification to putting in the graft.

End of the day, it's your money, your wrist and your decision.