Forums Latest Members
  1. pedraza.fco Jul 3, 2018

On an impulse (I rarely do this) I went ahead and dove into mechanical watches buying this Omega Seamaster off of Ebay. I would like help authenticating it. I have been on many forums and haven't been able to find much. The Omega vintage watches database comes up blank when I try the reference number. The only thing I have been able to find is that the serial number corresponds to 1962.

I plan on taking it to a local professional but I wanted to know what you all fine gentlemen have to say on this.

Reference No: 135.003-62-SC

Serial No: 19522772

Thanks in advance!

Watch2.jpg Watch3.jpg Case Back.jpg Movement.jpg Watch.jpg Watch1.jpg

2. Dan S Jul 3, 2018

3. Temprus Jul 3, 2018

hi, its should be your homework. google will helps you. search for the reference number 135.003-62-S and you’ ll find many of these watches to compare. You should to compare the dial design and caliber of the movement and year serial number to get the answer.

4. Dan S Jul 3, 2018

As you look at other examples, note the position of the "SWISS MADE" printing.

connieseamaster and ulackfocus like this.
  5. pedraza.fco Jul 3, 2018

I did google but I found that all models with the SC were gold plated which the one I have is not. Another thing that made me question the authenticity is the fact that the hands are slimmer and the markings do not have luminescent dots at the end.

Thanks for the help. I will definitely keep doing some more digging.

6. Dan S Jul 3, 2018

As you see in the OVD entry, SS is correct. And there are often a number of hand/dial combinations for a given reference. I'm not so concerned about those issues. I'm a little more concerned about the positions of the printed minute markers (which are not aligned with the ends of the applied markers) and the "SWISS MADE" (which is not below the 6 o'clock marker, although they may be fine if you can find other similar examples.

7. pedraza.fco Jul 3, 2018

Thanks a lot for the input. I will do more research. I just wanted to know if you guys had better resources than the ones that I've been able to find. This is my first time exploring mechanical watches and I have already gone down the rabbit hole. Especially since vintage Omega watches check every box of what I look in a watch.

8. Temprus Jul 3, 2018

And what do you think about missing number 30 under the Seamaster?

9. ulackfocus Jul 3, 2018

That's a refinished dial. :( I hope you didn't pay more than a couple hundred dollars.

10. pedraza.fco Jul 3, 2018

This is what I think after doing some research. I am really bummed out but oh well... I payed $350 for it. In hindsight I would have paid less for it. Would you be able to elaborate on what a refinished dial is? Is it a new dial or a modification of the original?

11. pedraza.fco Jul 3, 2018

That is one of the main concerns that I had. Whenever I came across a listing it almost always referred to it as a Seamaster 30 and it had the number written in the dial. The one I have does not have it and that was one of the first things that stood out to me and made me wonder.

12. ulackfocus Jul 3, 2018

$350 isn't a terrible amount to pay for your n00b tax.

A refinished dial, or redial for short, is when a watch's original dial is stripped of the original top coat, ink, and paint, then refinished with new paint, ink, and top coat. It kills the value, and no experienced collector will touch a poorly refinished dial where the fonts are wrong and the inking is done incorrectly.

13. pedraza.fco Jul 4, 2018

I see. Thanks for the info. I will surely do a more thorough research next time (because there will be a next time).

14. kaisiang098 Jul 4, 2018

This here has a refurbished dial. Case condition isn’t half bad but the dial should be your first concern.
    You should always cross check reference numbers on google and learn to recognise fonts and word placements before buying.
    This forum is a great resource for learning and obtaining expert opinions (as long as you ask nicely;)).

15. pedraza.fco Jul 5, 2018

Thanks a lot for the help. I appreciate it.

On a related note, what are your thoughts on replacing the refurbished dial with an authentic one? Would that be considered taboo or something undesirable? It does bother me a little that the watch is not "correct".

16. pedraza.fco Jul 5, 2018

Would you consider thisPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network watch authentic even if the dial does not match the reference picture?

17. pedraza.fco Jul 5, 2018

Thanks a lot for the help. I appreciate it.

On a related note, what are your thoughts on replacing the refurbished dial with an authentic one? Would that be considered taboo or something undesirable? It does bother me a little that the watch is not "correct".

18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 5, 2018

Yes. Printing is nice and even. Almost every reference has multiple dials.

So long as the work is disclosed at the time of eventual sale, I have no problem with it.
    gatorcpa

19. kaisiang098 Jul 5, 2018

Sure you can replace the dial with a correct one, however that could be a rather long process and potentially costly (if you like little projects like this, it's all well and good)
    If not i would suggest selling this off and buying a better specimen.

A refurbished piece doesn't mean that it is not authentic or original. The dial could very well still be original, its just that it is a turn off for collectors causing its value to drop significantly.

Edited by a mod Jun 1, 2023
  20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 5, 2018

Not sure what you mean. The dial on this example looks perfectly good to me as does the case. Not sure what the "turn off" would be. Then again, that model is not particularly collectible in the current market, although the 30mm movement is very good.
    gatorcpa

Edited by a mod Jun 1, 2023