Forums Latest Members
  1. tony72cutlass's' Jan 19, 2015

$_57.JPG
  2. Eric_navi Jan 19, 2015

Not an expert on these by any means, but at a quick glance the dial looks strange and its mentioned in the ad that the dial was repainted.

3. tony72cutlass's' Jan 19, 2015

Interesting, i've been poking around ebay trying to figure out what is fake and what is real in the vinage sector and lots of listings have "possibly repainted" dials..

4. tony72cutlass's' Jan 19, 2015

I think it's too risky with the repainted dial business, i'm going to let this one go, thanks anyway!

5. redpcar Jan 19, 2015

With no pics of the movement or inside the caseback, I would never bid on such an item. A big reason is that it is in India and there are bunches of the "HMT" watches that come from there.... Quite possibly a fake.

6. cristos71 Jan 19, 2015

IMHO there is a big difference between an outright fake and a watch that has had a re-dial.

An outright fake has always been made to purposely deceive, whereas a watch with a re-dial can be a genuine article, but with a re-dial. Perhaps the watch had water damage, or the original owner was a very heavy smoker and the dial turned orange. These things and many others can happen and re-dialing the watch can sometimes be, for some owners, the only acceptable solution.

Does this re-dialing of a watch make the watch fake?

No.

Well actually it is not so simple as that, I would deem it not a fake if the re-dial is an attempt to recreate exactly the same design and text as the original dial for that watch reference when it left the factory. This would be a re-dialed genuine watch. Much less valuable and collectable than the same watch with its original dial in good shape.

The grey area exists when the `clever` re-dialers and watch butchers out there start to badge up Geneve´s with Seamaster re-dials, or Seamaster´s with Constellation re-dials in an attempt to bump the value and trick inexperienced buyers. These I would start to call Frankens or fakes as they are made to deceive.

I would advise you if you are not sure to post pictures here and ask more advice before committing to a purchase.

7. redpcar Jan 19, 2015

ah........but then we might jump on it like a duck on a June Bug if it is an ebay auction. ;)
    Remember that you have to research the person who is selling the watch. Notice that he is selling other Omegas and manages to get the back off for pics but not on this one. All his sales were "Private" so you can't research. I don't like this either.

8. tony72cutlass's' Jan 19, 2015

thanks for all the suggestions, i'm very new to the online watch buying market and will most probably do lots of research before committing to a sale.

or i guess i could buy off a reputable dealer on this site!

9. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 19, 2015

Private listings always make me think that shill bidding is likely - I won't go near them.

10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 20, 2015

KirkYes.gif

11. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Jan 20, 2015

That seems to be to be bad etiquette on a forum where people are invited to ask before buying, only to be sniped by someone you were hoping would help you. Other than the "Recommended on eBay" threads I don't think I could bring myself to buy a watch someone had posted about asking for advice. Maybe you were joking and I misinterpreted the winky face though...

12. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 20, 2015

Don't underestimate the numbers of lurkers who don't observe the same etiquette that contributing members do...

ChrisN, cristos71 and STANDY like this.
  13. redpcar Jan 20, 2015

Duck / June Bug + winky = humor. Sorry.
    I found the advice on this list is extremely accurate and honor is without question.

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 20, 2015

Put something up for free and a no poster, no like and no avatar but 12 month member was one of the first to PM :cautious:

John R Smith likes this.
  15. tony72cutlass's' Jan 20, 2015

I appreciate all the feedback, i'm new in the watch buying game but luckily i think i can exercise some patience.

What i "really" want is a 3570.50, but am looking for something to tide me over in the time being (realistically spend under 600 shipped for a nice piece)

not sure if i'm being completely unrealistic or not..

16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 20, 2015

Does it have to be a Omega Seamaster ?

17. redpcar Jan 20, 2015

You can always post a WTB on this forum. 3570.50 Speedmaster is quite a bit more.
    Do you need Omega? I like the earlier suggestion of checking out the "What are you wearing today" list. Very very cool stuff there

18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 20, 2015

19. redpcar Jan 20, 2015

Newbie/Lurker. Sorry.

20. cristos71 Jan 20, 2015

Are you serious?