Forums Latest Members

Advice Needed for this Speedmaster 4.5 176.0012 Restoration Finally the Arrival and Reveal

1. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Apr 29, 2019

I took a gamble on this Speedmaster 4.5. The listing pics looked ok (no movement pic). The watch was described as not operational.
    Unfortunately there was water intrusion at some point. I paid $600 with bracelet so I don’t think it’s a money loser.The dial is good and the case is decent. I think it is worth the $600 for the parts but I am hesitant to part it out.
    I took the watch to my watchmaker and he doesn’t want to work with it (no Omega account). So I am seeking a little guidance. I am in So. California. Any watchmaker suggestions?. Someone that won't break my bank.
    Does anyone think sending it to Omega is off the table?. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg
    Edited Apr 29, 2019
    Etp095 likes this.
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 29, 2019

Given this requirement below, yes.

I don't know how much it takes to break your bank, but you are going to have to step up on this one, and depending on the parts required this will not be cheap at all...

At least all the plastic bits inside won't rust. :D

lando, tikkathree, Etp095 and 2 others like this.
  3. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Apr 29, 2019

Is getting this watch working for less than a $1000 a possibility?

Etp095 likes this.
  4. valkyrie_rider Apr 29, 2019

Heavy water damage there, I'm afraid.

This is how a cal 1045 was supposed to look like (from mine Mark 4.5):
    caliber_1045.jpg

Etp095 likes this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 29, 2019

Very difficult to say without knowing how far the rust goes. Usually the tipping point is the balance, because they can be very expensive to replace. But until someone gets it apart, cleans all the parts, and inspects them for rust and wear, you won't know what this is going to cost.

But for sure Omega will be $1k plus...

6. valkyrie_rider Apr 29, 2019

If you end up paying 1K for service plus the 600 bucks of initial purchase, that would still be a bit less than the price of a good Mark 4.5, with the satisfaction of rescuing a nice omega timepiece and warranty on the service.
    :)

Etp095 likes this.
  7. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Apr 29, 2019

Exactly what I was thinking. That is why I am putting out an APB on a watchmaker who can handle this.

8. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Apr 29, 2019

With a repair project like this will an Omega service include a case a case restoration?.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 30, 2019

What do you mean by "restoration"?

It would get the same refinishing, seal replacements (new pushers and crown included), possibly new crystal, etc. like any other watch would. If you mean anything more than that, then the answer is likely no...

10. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Apr 30, 2019

Yes, I meant case refinishing. Sending the watch to Omega might be the way to go when the cost of a case refinish is factored in. My reluctance to send the watch to Omega is in part due to how they tend to remove most signs of age and patina, not just the cost.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 30, 2019

Omega doesn't really do (that I am aware of) the sort of extensive case restorations that some shops do, so adding material through laser welding, etc. They will certainly do a standard case refinish on this, but I suspect nothing more.

In terms of replacing vintage parts, yes of course that's always a concern, and this case I would expect at the very least new hands. The dial would depend on what the condition is like when they get it out of the case...

12. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Apr 30, 2019

bump

13. RyMoeller Apr 30, 2019

I'm afraid that's going to be a pricey repair. As Al says you won't know what needs to be replaced until it's broken down and you then can see how much damage was done- there's a lot of steel in that movement to be damaged though (much of it hidden under the dial) and it would take quite a bit of labor to break it down and inspect each part- I'm not sure, but you might find a watchmaker willing to do just that for a reasonable fee. Unfortunately 1045 parts are pricey and difficult to come by outside of the Omega pipeline.

kingsrider likes this.
  14. davidpg Apr 30, 2019

Well, if you think this might be too much of a project for you, let me know and maybe we could work out some sort of trade deal!

15. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Apr 30, 2019

If you want PM me.

16. Pepe Lucas Apr 30, 2019

I know it is not the most liked answer here but I would send it to Omega. Specially if you are thinking about keeping the watch for a long time. The watch looks like it is going to need a lot of new parts just for the water damage any way. I have taken my watches to Omega and for most people here they have lost value but they make me happy the way they look and really don’t care. Like this Mark IV, when I found it it looked like it was burry in a swamp for years. It was running but it needed a lot to bring it back. Now it looks like new and personally, I love it. image.jpg image.jpg

Ian_km, SwissMe, Etp095 and 6 others like this.
  17. valkyrie_rider May 1, 2019

kingsrider likes this.
  18. peterkirk01 May 1, 2019

I have a mark 4.5 myself that I sent to my watch guy to service. During the service the second hand broke and the watch guy is trying to find a match. I sent it to him more than 4 months ago and he is still having difficulty finding the correct replacement. I will post photos ( hopefully in the near future ) when I get it back. Good luck with your project.

kingsrider likes this.
  19. Lucasssssss May 1, 2019

Watchguy (Christian) from the UK has done some great jobs for me. I would recommend getting in touch with him to explore some possibilities, I believe he even has his own CNC milling machine up and running now. Best of luck with the project

kingsrider likes this.
  20. Pepe Lucas May 1, 2019

The Omega service was $750.00 USD the last time I checked. I know that includes hands, pushers, crystal, crown and all the inside parts for the watch to run. Of course if needed. The only items that I know are extra are dial replacements, redials and bracelets or bands. They give and estimate and you can approve or decline the service. I once declined one because they had to do a redial and that alone was way more than I paid for the whole watch. Depending on where in California are you located, you might be able to find an Omega boutique close by.

Etp095 and kingsrider like this.