Forums Latest Members

Help/advice on face to face sale

1. verithingeoff May 19, 2019

I have a watch on ebay at the moment and a guy [local to me] asked if he can see the watch on Wednesday.
    Any tips, does and don'ts. I've sold many cars F to F over the years but never a watch

TIA

Geoff

2. 77deluxe May 19, 2019

Meet in a crowded public place.

3. ext1 May 19, 2019

I was going to also say crowded place, but, with the recent theft of the GMT master owned by an OF member infront of a major bank, I don't know what is appropriate to do anymore...

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 19, 2019

Many police stations offer areas to do this.

5. KeithS May 19, 2019

I've always brought a friend or two when buying/selling through local classifieds.

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 19, 2019

A bank lobby would be good as well, lots of cameras, I've done a couple sales there.

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 19, 2019

Apologise for being so cautious , but ask him to send you his QLD driver's scan/photo image before you arrange a meetup. That way you have his details and his eBay account name if everything goes tits up.
    And meet in a cafe or something similar. You could try the local cop shop, but I'd be more scared of the QLD cops than a normal buyer :D.
    Keep it all civil and if you have any doubts, apologise for the inconvenience and walk.

8. BenBagbag May 19, 2019

Was gonna type something about videochatting but this is great. Just need to make sure he's sending you his driver's license and not someone elses, but at this point you've got his name I assume. Be careful.

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 19, 2019

I think Geoff will be fine.

It's not like he's in Melbourne, or NYC, or other dens of iniquity.

Hell, most Queenslanders couldn't be bothered with a snatch and run, it's just too much effort ay.

10. verithingeoff May 19, 2019

I checked the guys feedback and all is good. He also trades high end watches and guitars, so we have a lot in common. I will try the cafe I think.....ay

JimInOz likes this.
  11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 19, 2019

but can you confirm it is him and not someone spoofing him?

12. verithingeoff May 19, 2019

Not really

13. Evitzee May 19, 2019

Buy the seller. Have a chat with him, you will learn a lot. A few minutes talking with a dealer will tell you a lot as to whether he knows what he is talking about. A scammer will fail the test with a 'funny smell'.

14. verithingeoff May 19, 2019

:DI’m the seller, I would buy me every time

Als 27, 77deluxe, BlackTalon and 2 others like this.
  15. mjb May 20, 2019

LOL, let us know how it all worked out. I occasionally ask for a DL when trading watches. It shouldn't upset any legitimate people and may scare off most thieves. As mentioned, call him or her on the phone and chat for a bit, another great way to weed out fakers. If in doubt, you can always ask, "hey, can I bring my friend along? He's a cop and says that I shouldn't be alone." Another deterrent for criminals.

Similar thread on another watch forum, and a good suggestion was to meet at a Jewelry store with one of those double locked entries and lots of cameras. Maybe meet them at a shooting range... a criminal may be less inclined to try to steal something when everyone there is armed.

16. Furioso May 20, 2019

Interesting the guns comments I've seen, working my way through the forum and trying to catch up on rules, origins, etc. Guns were my first hobby. I imagine the overlap. I'll have to determine how to self police my posts.