Forums Latest Members
  1. Vinzenzm Jul 16, 2020

Hello everyone,

I inherited this old Omega Table Watch with an automatic moveme
    nt. Still works fine and no problem at all. However I am not sure if this is an actual real Omega piece or a fake as was not able to find any info about it what so ever. Also if it is real does anyone have any idea what it’s worth approx?

Many thanks in advance for all your help and insight!!

0299561B-3E81-4AF4-AD84-7DD064629DBC.jpeg 0CF266FB-073B-4484-8374-C4E5F198CE9A.jpeg
  2. WatchTimes Jul 16, 2020

I have NO clue but I think it is very cool.
    If I was to guess its a pocket watch that someone had made into a table clock somehow
    BUT
    That is nothing more than a guess and as I said its cool either way!

3. janice&fred Jul 16, 2020

Unless I'm missing something in the picture it doesn't appear to be automatic. I can't imagine why a table clock would be automatic unless possibly for use in a high earthquake zone? :D

DaveK and DSotW like this.
  4. Vinzenzm Jul 16, 2020

Thanks for the answer. I am only guessing as somewhat of a watch Amateur that it’s automatic because it’s been standing around for years and when I shook it the second hand started moving again. Hence the guess it’s an automatic movement. But maybe Then I’ll take it to Omega here and have them have a look at it what they. Hard to say if it’s really even a genuine Omega product or not.

janice&fred likes this.
  5. janice&fred Jul 16, 2020

It looks genuine to me. I was just teasing you about the automatic stuff. try winding it up rather than shaking it and I bet the thing runs fairly well.

DaveK likes this.
  6. WatchTimes Jul 17, 2020

From all I can find these are mostly fakes made out of China years ago by a company ZJS
    If you google "ZJS Omega clock" you will find a NAWCC article as well as lots of other info.
    I am NO expert though!!!

Farmer likes this.
  7. Vinzenzm Jul 17, 2020

Thanks very much for your help!! Much appreciated. Went to the Omega Store here in Austria today. Good news it’s genuine, serial numbers all check out from around the 1920‘s and hasn’t been tampered with or anything. And still works faultlessly. But yes they also said that it made for easy counterfeiting. The actual Retail value of these things according to them is between €300-€400 but there was one recently sold at an auction for around €900. So it’s a collectors item more than anything else. Still a nice desk clock to have and keep though. Thanks again for your help!!

8. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jul 17, 2020

Can you share some pics from the side, interesting how these stand up. I’ve only seen reproductions from decor stores.

thx in advance

Benbradstock likes this.
  9. Farmer Jul 17, 2020

yet again, another new "member" testing a watch for accuracy to real

10. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jul 17, 2020

::confused2:: I don’t follow

ChrisN likes this.
  11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 17, 2020

There's a small flat on the rear hemisphere, jus near the Omega marking on the plate, this allows it to sit on a desk. Probably a caliber 27''' 8 day movement.

99.9% of the smaller ones seen on eBay etc are fakes, this one is quite genuine.

DaveK likes this.
  12. OMTOM Jul 17, 2020

I’m sorry to come in with a negative comment.

The OP’s item would be known as a crystal ball. Omega definitely made the crystal ball (at least from 1894) with both the 30’’’ and then the 27’’’ 8-day movements.

According to Omega’s AJTT (for the OP, ‘A Journey Through Time’, Marco Richon, 2007), the crystal ball had movements 30/40’’’ and later the 27/40’’’ … BUT … “smaller pieces, equipped with the 19’’’ calibre and often found in antique markets, are not original”.

The movement in this watch is definitely NOT a 27’’’ 8-day nor a 30’’’. It looks as though it could be an ‘original’ 19’’’ (from the mid-1920s). However, according to AJTT the whole item (thus the crystal ball watch) is not original.

The OP quotes the ‘Omega Store in Austria’. I’m sorry but the Omega Store would not be able to confirm original numbers. It is quite possible that the movement (with the number that we see) is original – but to confirm originality there would have to be a case number (which I think is very unlikely) and that could only be confirmed by Omega Heritage in Biel/Bienne (the ‘Omega Store in Austria’ would not have those records).

As Jim says, “99.9% of the smaller ones seen on eBay etc are fakes” – and as WatchTimes says, most of the fakes come out of China (invariably with a sweep second hand!). This is not the typical Chinese fake – but it is also not an original Omega 30’’’ or 27’’’ 8-day crystal ball.

My guess is that it was a ‘project’ made by somebody who used an original Omega movement (probably 19’’’). If the OP wishes to confirm it further, he would need to provide the case number (even if he asks the ‘Omega Store in Austria’ to do that for him) – without that, there can be no question of it being original.

As for value, in my opinion not very much.

Benbradstock likes this.
  13. OMTOM Jul 17, 2020

To answer DaveK’s request for a view of a (genuine!) crystal ball from the side, to see how it stands up, this image shows a 30’’’ crystal ball (from about 1900), showing the ‘flat’ which allows the ball to sit on a desk (to which Jim also refers).
    The alternative was for the bow to be suspended from a hook, typically on a crescent-shaped stand (an example can be seen in AJTT).
    Tom's Crystal Ball.jpg

Edited Jul 17, 2020
  14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 17, 2020

Any response that informs/educates without spite or sarcasm can hardly be considered "negative".

It's taught me to look closer at what I see and not jump to quick answers, the movement is obviously not a 27'''........:whipped:.

If it did have a case number, where would it be? On the band?

15. Vinzenzm Jul 18, 2020

Listen no passing on of information is negative so no worries.

Whilst I am no expert in Movements and what time period they come from, I am pretty sure that the watchmaker sitting in an Omega Store isn’t going to tell me it’s fine when it isn’t. Plus, and maybe I wasn’t clear on this, the Store here has attached to it a Museum and with that a historical watch expert. Hence that’s where I got the information from.

https://www.watchprosite.com/omega/...e-omega-boutique-vienna-/677.1052853.7582143/

So yes could be very well be that you are right with everything you said. But I’m not looking to sell it or anything anyways. It looks nice on my desk either way.

But in time I’ll keep digging and seeing as I do have to go to Switzerland every now and again I’ll take it across with me next time and have more found out about it.

Many Thanks again though for your help and insight!!

16. OMTOM Jul 18, 2020

The case number would not be visible from the outside. One of the crystal hemispheres would have to be removed (on the movement side). The case number would then be on the case. The result of the optical effect of the crystal hemispheres is that only the dial and movement can be seen – not the surrounding case.

The image shows the case from a crystal ball which has a 30’’’ (8-day of course) movement. As shown in AJTT, the movement is therefore a 30/40’’’ (because of this larger case).

For the OP’s ‘Omega Store in Austria’ to confirm that his watch is original (“serial numbers all check out from around the 1920‘s”), they must have removed a crystal to have seen a case number. As already stated, the movement number (which we can see) looks genuine – but that does not confirm that “serial numbers all check out”. If the OP can produce a case number, Omega Heritage could use that to confirm originality.

Tom's Crystal Ball case.jpg

TNTwatch and JimInOz like this.
  17. OMTOM Jul 18, 2020

If you stay with just the movement, yes. As I have already written, “It looks as though it could be an ‘original’ 19’’’ (from the mid-1920s)”.
    However, the watch itself is a different matter. Again, I wrote that “My guess is that it was a ‘project’ made by somebody who used an original Omega movement (probably 19’’’).”

However, if you want confirmation, why don’t you ask the watchmaker in the Vienna Omega Boutique to give you the case number (which he would have needed to confirm that the watch – not just the movement – is original)?

18. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jul 18, 2020

Time seems to stand still when you drop your wisdom bombs on us, thanks @OMTOM :thumbsup:

Benbradstock and OMTOM like this.