Forums Latest Members
  1. Lulu Bear Apr 29, 2015

Hi

First post and a complete novice at the game, so thanks in advance for the help.

I've seen a nice omega with supposed original dial . What concerns me is that the cross hairs do not precisely dissect the logo - runs slightly to the left. Is this kind of misalignment a telltale sign that there is something wrong?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks again for your help.

2. brr1980 Apr 29, 2015

I'm no expert but I think your instinct is probably right. My understanding is those black dial De Ville's are rarely found with original dials, especially given their association with Mad Men as the "Don Draper" Omega.

3. TexOmega Apr 29, 2015

no way that dial is original

4. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Apr 29, 2015

The crosshair allignment is a sign as well as the new white print on the dial. Hands are also replaced.

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 29, 2015

Dial refinished and hands replaced.

PASS

6. Steve1haggart Apr 29, 2015

If you have all ready purchased the watch try and get your money back . It's a redial .

7. Lulu Bear Apr 29, 2015

Thanks so much guys. No I haven't bought it. Looked too good to be true.

On another note, if original dials are so difficult to find, is it such a bad thing to buy a refurbished one, as long as the price reflects it?

8. Steve1haggart Apr 29, 2015

It's all down to personal preference , me personally I wouldn't be buying a re-dial original as possible is best .

9. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 29, 2015

You could buy it if you want/like it, but you will probably over pay, and if you ever want to unload, you might have trouble selling it.

So, generally, as stared, pass. A good one will come.

10. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 29, 2015

You'll not find many fans of refinished dials here on the forum, but it really is down to personal preference.

If something pleases you, you're the only one who matters.

11. j.allen Apr 29, 2015

I'm terribly colorblind, but on a black dial, the logo and crosshairs are usually a "greenish-gold" color? Lol. But that black dial and white lettering is almost always refinished.

12. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 29, 2015

Printing typically matches the color of the figures, gold figures, gold printing, silver figures, silver printing. There are occasional exceptions, as on sport watches, SM 300, Speedmaster etc and a few oddballs.

Vintage black dials for these dressier watches, Constellation, Seamaster etc actually have the "printing" below the black which is not paint, but a type of plating. These original black dials are not painted nor is the lettering actually printed on.

A refinished dial as on OPs watch has the printing, literally printed on top of the black paint.

IMG_4299.JPG