Forums Latest Members

Help! - '76 Omega Seamaster Chronograph - 176.005 - Current Value?

1. Shaka May 20, 2015

Hi,

I recently inherited an Omega Seamaster Chronograph ref. 176.005. It looks like this is a watch that has been mistakenly referred to as the "Jedi". It was my Uncles - he was the only owner of the watch - and I have the supporting purchase receipt and guarantee. The watch has been extremely well looked after.

Given the size of the TV Dial, I would ideally like to part ways with it and invest in something else. To my knowledge, the watch has not been serviced in a while; however, it keeps good time. Could you recommend an appropriate price to sell this for? I am looking to part with it at a fair price.

Looking at Chrono24 and eBay gives a wide range in prices and its hard to tell what would be reasonable to ask for it. I've attached some photos for those who are curious.

Thanks!

IMG_3246.JPG IMG_3247.JPG
    IMG_3248 (1).JPG

2. lillatroll May 21, 2015

Determining a price is difficult because it depends on condition and if it is all original. This is often referred to as a "jedi" but the actual model number for the jedi is 145.024, this is due to a mistake in the omegamania catalogue from 2007. Many people get these models confused.

Yours seems to have the correct hands.The bracelet looks ok although some of the links near the clasp look a little stretched but this might be down to the pictures. The case might have been polished, it is difficult to tell because of the pictures, the edges of the case should be sharp. I have seen cases that are brushed and cases that are blank like yours. I have read that there are two different finishes but I am not sure 100% if that is true.

I think you should ask for a price you are happy with, before I continue, I should say that I am looking to buy one of these later on in the year when I have more watch funds available so please bear that in mind when reading this. I doubt it would get a top price, which seems to be about 1800 gbp some ask for more but that does not mean they are worth that or that people are prepared to pay it. At the lower end I have seen these watches sell for plus/minus 1000 pound but the dial was a bit rough. Yours would need a service which is a couple of hundred quid so that needs to be factored into the equation for the buyer. As I said, you should ask for a price you are happy with and if it doesn't sell then you can relist it at a lower price.
    hope this helps.

3. Shaka May 21, 2015

Thanks - apprecaite it!

4. Sherbie May 21, 2015

As you seem to be good at taking photos, i would take as 8-10 good photos from all angles.( all sides of the case, he edges, from the front of tha watch, and all papers and box if you have one, Including the inside of the case back and 2 of the movement inside) and list on fleabay, no reserve, start price 99 p or cents.

This would go for 1000-1300 gbp for sure. Its a nice example, and with a little work would be a good watch for someone.

Alternatively, why not get it serviced and use it yourself. These early 70's watches are really back in fashion now and look fantastic

Best of luck. Paul

lenny likes this.
  5. Shaka May 21, 2015

Thank Paul - appreciate the input.

6. Delbok Aug 21, 2015

Just out of curiosity, has this watch been actually sold ? Lillatroll, have you been able to get it ?

7. Shaka Aug 21, 2015

I haven't listed it yet - so it's still available.

8. lillatroll Aug 21, 2015

I am still looking for one of these, have seen a few but either the price is silly or they are in poor condition in relation to the price.

9. Shaka Aug 21, 2015

I would be looking for $2,000. It has one owner and comes with original receipt and papers. Feel free to message me if you are interested and I would be happy to discuss further. I am based in NYC and could meet someone face to face if they are local or find themselves in the area. I would also be happy trading it for a '53 Fat Arrow, if someone were to have that available.

10. Blaise Aug 24, 2015

I would post a few photos of the papers that came with the watch...just for the fun of it. you are not yet allowed to post in the sales corner but with a 2k price and the added documents and one owner history that is not a bad price. of course as others have pointed it out the service is something we have to take in account. I had one of these and it was a lovely piece, I can but encourage you to change your mind and keep it. maybe wear it on a nice replica period corfam, like these. either way good luck with it

11. Shaka Aug 25, 2015

Thanks Blaise. That is good advice! Appreciate it.

Blaise likes this.