Forums Latest Members
  1. Impgreene Feb 19, 2020

Wondered if anyone saw any negatives in this watch that's on eBay at the moment?

It's cheapish, so I thought it might be a good way for me get over my fear of vintage and buy a watch I can get into without much risk …………...

Thanks for your help.

s-l1600.jpg s-l1601.jpg s-l1602.jpg s-l1603.jpg s-l1604.jpg

2. billythekid Feb 19, 2020

stay away.

Impgreene likes this.
  3. Impgreene Feb 19, 2020

Ok ,understood - thanks.

4. Maganator Feb 19, 2020

Looks redialed (check out the Seamaster).

movement has a few red flags for me and the strap looks like junk.

I’d avoid

Impgreene likes this.
  5. wilderbeast Feb 19, 2020

+1. Seamaster script is a big tell.

Impgreene likes this.
  6. OMEGuy Feb 19, 2020

It has been redialed, pictures are very bad and the strap is a fake with customized cut ends

So stay away.

Impgreene likes this.
  7. Impgreene Feb 19, 2020

Thanks to everyone above for the help.

OMEGuy likes this.
  8. GeorgeT11 Feb 19, 2020

You are describing the Private Watch sales section... ;)

9. Impgreene Feb 20, 2020

Do not fear, there is a daily check on that section and the 'Watches for sale' going on!

To be honest my ticket price is a little higher than this, but I thought (as kindly recommended by another member) I would step gently into the world of vintage watches, buy one, find a watchmaker I can trust to service it etc. etc. - to me this just seemed like the sort of money that, if it had been just 'ok', could have been lost without too many tears if something went wrong - then when I'd gone through the process of this watch I could 'step up' a bit to a better vintage purchase!

10. wilderbeast Feb 20, 2020

I think it depends on what you want the watch for. If you want a nice vintage piece for daily wear but don’t want to worry about it, then there are other, lesser, brands you could dip into without fear. You might find that the cost of service is more than the watch, but you could have a reliable runner without worry.

If you really want Omega, then ensuring that the pieces you buy are good quality ones will pay dividends in the long run.

Just my tuppence worth!

Impgreene and DaveK like this.
  11. Impgreene Feb 22, 2020

Good advice, taken onboard - I'm going to buy a new / nearly new modern Omega (Aqua Terra) to round off my 'need' for something to sit between a 'dressy' (IWC) and 'casual' watch (PO), and do have a love for Omega given my PO (I can also never quite bring myself to buy a Rolex Sub, even though I sort of half want to but also half don't, also because I'm more than a little concerned over current prices as potential bubbles are never a good thing to get involved in when the underlying drivers of the price aren't clear to even the experts).

I thought that this just leaves me with a 'slot' for a vintage watch in the Rolex Sub price band, but I'm wary that diving into the vintage market at this level is a risky thing to do for a Newbie vintage buyer …………….. hence why I'm stalking your "Private Watches" and "Watches for sale" forums, but I was just trying to think of a way to build up a bit of confidence that I'm not going to completely mess up the purchase!.

12. wilderbeast Feb 22, 2020

Well, stick around here and read widely. If it’s vintage Seamaster that you are after, it won’t break the bank finding a decent example. But there are lots of models and dial variants to absorb and that takes research to find what you really want. But kudos for checking on here before purchase!

Impgreene likes this.