Forums Latest Members
  1. Watchcrazy Oct 21, 2012

Hi all,
    I have a dilemma and would appreciate advice/ comments, I have fallen in love with the new Seamaster 300m with ceramic bezel in black. Do I buy the 50th anniversary 007 version or the standard version?
    I had thought that I would go for the Bond model but then saw the standard version and really liked the plain glossy dial and wondered if the Bond model was a little too 'busy' and gimmicky? Help!

2. pascs Oct 21, 2012

Thats the one with the tacky 007 for the number 7? Personally I think that looks a bit silly but I've never seen one in the flesh so you can probably just ignore my comments :D

Shelby likes this.
  3. Watchcrazy Oct 21, 2012

Hi pascs, it's the one with 007 all over the dial and the 50 in red on the bezel, it also has a visible rotor centre on the rear like the base of a bullet....... Hmmm the more I describe it the more OTT it sounds? Thanks for replying by the way

4. pascs Oct 21, 2012

Oh yes sorry, I think I was thinking of the Skyfall one :oops:

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 21, 2012

I like the 50th a lot more than the Skyfall LE, but all the same I actually think the plain ceramic SMP is the better choice, its a stunning piece.

6. Watchcrazy Oct 21, 2012

I'm liking your reply! It's kinda where I've been going, I think the plain one is gorgeous, this all started when I went to look at a Rolex GMT II only to find the retailer had given up the franchise, saw the SMP and kept going back to it, I now prefer it to the Rolex and hey, half the money too! Cheers for your reply ;0)

7. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Oct 21, 2012

I prefer the non-007 SMP 300m - it's a very sleek watch, and low profile for a diver. It has been somewhat overshadowed by the new Planet Ocean, however

8. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 21, 2012

Unless you really love James Bond or expect the watch value increase in the future because of it, I would stick with the standard version. Cleaner and more sophisticated IMHO. The ceramic bezel is awesome.

9. Littleroger Oct 21, 2012

Personally, I've never understood why people wear watches endorsed by certain people eg. Tiger or Schumacher or Bond. I would always choose the plain version. I would be afraid the "novelty" might wear off or that my golfing hero doesn't turn out to be what I expected.

10. Watchcrazy Oct 21, 2012

Lol.... Very good point! Thanks for your reply :0)

11. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Oct 21, 2012

It's certainly never appealed to me, but it does seem to be a very useful marketing tool. Omega always see a big surge in sales of the SMP when a new Bond film is released, perhaps a tie in with another brand/famous individual somehow adds weight to their product

12. Steve Oct 21, 2012

I agree, the standard SMP 330m is the better watch for day to day use, very robust and reliable.
    omega seamaster.jpg

alam and Carl like this.
  13. Watchcrazy Oct 21, 2012

Its unanimous! btw thats a great shot of the SMP! Gorgeous

14. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 22, 2012

I can understand if it was the watch that used by the famous personality. So I love the SMP 300 plain, chrono, the PO etc that Bond used in the film. The ones that I don't like were created for limited edition, never worn by Bond himself. They just slap around a lot of gimmicks (dial, decoration of hands, case back etc) which diminishing the appeal IMHO.

Well every segment has their own taste I guess. And if it works for the business.......they will continue it for sure.

15. Watchmutt Oct 27, 2012

The 007 print on the dial really isn't that noticeable. Everyone has there own taste. Just pick the one you like and don't worry about what everyone else thinks.
    DSC03103sm.jpg

fskywalker, STEELE and Whirling like this.
  16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 27, 2012

Agreed, that one in particular is very subtle in terms of the dial pattern, much like the wave dial used on the previous generation Seamasters, and in general the only person that knows the significance of the 50 in red will likely be you

17. Watchcrazy Oct 28, 2012

Thanks for your reply and pic of the 007, thats a real nice piece, agrrrr the dilema continues!!!! Lol

18. Cr4wsh Oct 30, 2012

Hi Watchcrazy. I had a similar dilemma between the SMP Bond or the Planet Ocean 8500. Now I understand the sheer "betterness" of the PO 8500 and indeed I could stretch to the difference in price. The AD was doing a 0% APR Jobby!
    This was my view however.
    I preferred the SMP firstly because the weight of the PO was ridiculous for everyday use. Im 6 ft 2" and 16 stone, and I found it heavy!
    I found the Bezel on the PO 8500 to be a little less "sleek" than the SMP's Red 50 Ceramic version.
    Let me comment on the busy dial. In most light and angles you will not know its even there. Catch it under artificial light at some angles and yes you can see the imprints. personally it does not affect my view of reading the watch itself. Now given Im a Bond fanatic and I also like watches, it was a natural choice for me, Granted its gimmicky when comparing to certain watches out there, but to me its fun and relates to me!
    The only downside is I like to see the workings with the glass at the back ( I had a Tag carrera that showed this). The bond one had the barrel and bullet back, so you cant see the working "gubbings"
    My conclusion is: If the watchmaking quality is your objective then this forum is brilliant. However if it is personal aesthetics of the watch you are looking for then I suggest you get yourself down to your AD and try them out. This forum is very subjective and if its a pin point answer your looking for, you maybe some time.
    I hope I have not rambled too much, but as a newbie this is my views.
    Good Luck
    Steve

STEELE likes this.
  19. imt58 Nov 4, 2012

The movement is identical so robustness shouldn't be an issue. Can't really blame Omega for capitalizing on the opportunity afte rall they did at 40! I'm a massive Bond fan, Sue has said she's happy for me to get the 50 special (it's her birthday on 23rd. this month, alterior motive coming?). Maybe 11007 is too many? Nobody is selling for less in the UK but all offering interest free credit. At 54 years old will this watch accrue value in my lifetime?

20. imt58 Nov 8, 2012

Tried one on yesterday and have committed to buy one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It really is a lovely watch.