Forums Latest Members

Hello! Return from "leave of absence "

1. Faz Dec 8, 2017

Hi all,

Took a necessary hiatus from watches to refocus my life and career. After almost 25 years in the railroad business, I was in desperate need for a change. After being laid off back in February, I came to the conclusion that a change was in order. At the age of 56, I knew it wasn't going to be easy but the pursuit of happiness demands reflection and change. I knew it was going to be quite difficult, both financially and emotionally so a good chunk of my prized vintage chronographs went to new homes. Most to members of this fantastic forum.

So I went back to school to take care of unfinished business and decided to dive head first into a career in trucking.
    IMG_1700.JPG

I obtained my license after 3 months in trucking school and finally landed a job as a professional truck driver! I'll be roaming the eastern USA hauling flat beds pulled by an amazing Peterbilt, 13 gears and all. Exciting times ahead and hopefully more frequent visits here.

IMG_1778.JPG IMG_1766.JPG 53434990511__6B20E819-62D8-49AF-8964-283CD2AC7F22.JPG

I kept my most rugged and trusted pieces. My 16800, 16710, Doppelchrono and a couple of vintage chronos to keep me company on those long drives. I can't wait to share more of my new experiences soon. If there are any other members here in the same profession, I would love to hear from you. I'm a sponge ready to absorb any sound advice!

Cheers

Faz

dx009, Spacefruit, noelekal and 61 others like this.
  2. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Dec 8, 2017

Good luck - and drive carefully.

Faz and citizenrich like this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 8, 2017

Enjoy the career change! It’s an honorable and vital profession! May I reccomend Commander Cody and The Lost Planet Airmen for some kick ass trucking songs? Peterbuilts are just beautiful.

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 8, 2017

Good luck in your endeavours and safe travels.

One tip I learnt when I drove a truck many moons ago was always have a drink and a candy or muesli bar stashed away for broken down in the middle of nowhere...... (You always break down a half hour away from the town you were going to stop for a feed)

5. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Dec 8, 2017

That is one nice rig. Faz!........Wow. Engine in front for quiet and safety. All the comforts of home behind you. With all that tractor length, how long a trailer can you pull?

As a much younger man, I drove cross country USA in a 14 wheel, 9 speed cabover GMC which was like a model T compared to yours. It was a short career but I did manage to see much of the country. Docking was an issue for me......hope you have mastered that challenge!

noelekal, citizenrich and Faz like this.
  6. Faz Dec 8, 2017

I started my career in transportation washing and fuelling trucks. They were crude, they rattled and were loud. Today's tractors are as luxurious as any car. Super quiet, comfortable and efficient.

That's a 53 foot trailer BTW. I'll be working physically as well as I will be responsible of tying down all my loads. Something I wanted. I couldn't see myself just sitting at the wheels just driving.

7. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 8, 2017

Congrats on the new career!

8. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 8, 2017

Congratulations! Very impressive that you were able to turn lemons into lemonade so quickly.

Now, I have a small favor to ask of you. Would you please stop at each and every pawn shop that you happen to pass on your routes, and search for some vintage watches for me? :D

Edited Dec 8, 2017
    noelekal, Jwit, Paedipod and 9 others like this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 8, 2017

Congrats mate! Glad to see you have landed on your feet, or maybe I should say landed on your tires...

Anyway, if you are out and about and end up in my neck of the woods, you know where I am. Stop by and let me pick through all those pawn shop buys before you give them to Tony. ;)

10. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Dec 8, 2017

Congratulations! That is a lifestyle that many really, really love. And think of the potential for GTGs all up and down the East Coast :cool:

11. lillatroll Dec 8, 2017

Are you going to be on Ice Road Truckers? I like that program. Good luck with your new job and glad to see you got to keep some of your watches.

Faz likes this.
  12. Waltesefalcon Dec 8, 2017

Good luck with the new career. My dad was a trucker and mechanic so I grew up around several different rigs, the new ones are like spaceships by comparison to what I saw in the eighties.

Faz likes this.
  13. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Dec 8, 2017

I guess you don't get a sore left leg double clutching anymore. My tractor trailer experience was late 1970's.

@Faz, be very careful tightening down those chains. Very very dangerous if they snap back. But I'm sure you already know this.

Faz likes this.
  14. M'Bob Dec 8, 2017

A very impressive and courageous move at 56. A lot of guys in your shoes would have done what many do: move to a low-rent district in Florida, and live out the rest of your days moping on the beach.

Faz likes this.
  15. wkimmd Dec 8, 2017

Can't say I know the life of a trucker, but mad respect for your move. Good luck @Faz !!

Faz likes this.
  16. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Dec 8, 2017

I did the same thing about 10 years ago. After digital cameras put most camera stores - my customers - out of business (remember camera stores?) I did a Life Evaluation and came to a similar answer. Only 2 flies in the ointment: truck stops (I grew to hate them especially in the NE USA for the dearth of parking slots but every where for the generally lousy food) and the right rear tandem on my trailers - it kept running over things...

And I had asshole dispatchers that had this cruel desire to make me travel through Washington DC during commute hours. A trucker doesn't make any money at 5 mph (that's around 7 kph for the civilized, enlightened parts of the world).

However, some of the things I saw from the cab of that truck were pretty cool. Good Luck to you @Faz and drive safe.

noelekal, Faz, MaiLollo and 1 other person like this.
  17. river rat Dec 8, 2017

Hope the new profession works out. Use to have a commercial license when I worked for a city needed it for the job due to some of the vehicles we used was a tougher test at the DMV than a normal drivers license you mess up on the walk around you don't even get in the truck for the driving test. Glad I passed it in one try. Let it go when I retired.

Faz likes this.
  18. AnotherDon Dec 8, 2017

Congratulations on the new direction.

You know what they say, "Old truckers never die. They just get a new Peterbilt". Just remember it's shiny side up and greasy side down.

::rimshot::

Faz likes this.
  19. GordonL Dec 8, 2017

Good luck with your new career! At 58 I'm looking at retirement + pension so kudos to you for a brave move!

Faz likes this.
  20. Drawarms Dec 8, 2017

congrats! was wondering where you went!