Forums Latest Members

Hello Omega Forums, an introduction.

1. Flatfoot Jan 4, 2018

Hello All.

I have been interested in mechanical movement watches since a kid in the 1970’s. My first nice watch was/is a Jaeger LeCoultre three hander which my dad gave to me in the winter of 1969-1970. He gave that watch to me immediately after he purchased a new Speedmaster 145.022 69 ST. His purchase of that watch was sparked in large part due to Apollo 11 lunar landing happening in the prior July. In my mind’s eye, I can still see the small, red factory caseback seal that he managed to keep in place for quite some time after its purchase. He was a careful, meticulous watch wearer.

I wore this JLC continuously throughout late Middle School years, High School and College, and had it serviced periodically through local shops during that time. It has seen some rough duty, but I always managed to keep it dry and in reasonably good shape. This 36mm JLC continues to tick away nicely, and continues to impress me with its design and simple elegance. I found a strap that I believe compliments this watch very nicely, and picks up the gold of the hands and indices. Obviously, the family connection to it makes it even more special to me. Wearing this JLC created the spark that has caused me to continue to be interested in mechanical watches to this day.

My dad gave me his Speedmaster before he passed away in 2013. I still wear it regularly, and despite some rather unfortunate factory replacement parts installed by Omega in past years, it is also a sentimental favorite of mine that runs so very well.

This past autumn, I bought a 145.012 SP 67 in need of service. It appears to be quite original overall, with a lovely patinated dial and handset, which I believe to be original to the watch. After the original owners death, the family brought it to a local shop that I do business with, where I bought it. A broken stem and a missing pusher appears to have caused it to be put back in its box and stashed in a drawer untouched for a number of years. However a few gentle shakes shows me that the movement is free and working. I’m optimistic that a full service will bring it back into fine shape. It is now in the queue for a full service, and once combined with my dad’s .022 69ST, will give me a foot in the camps of both the column wheel and lever movement Speedmasters.

The hunt continues.

I look forward to becoming a part of this OF community.

JLC.JPG IMG_4868.JPG 145.012 67 SP.jpg JLC.JPG IMG_4868.JPG 145.012 67 SP.jpg
  2. lillatroll Jan 4, 2018

Hello and Welcome,
    Nothing beats owning a watch with family history.

kkt, Flatfoot and Taddyangle like this.
  3. Flatfoot Jan 4, 2018

thanks Lillatroll.

Moderators: I missed placing this intro in the Sticky "Great Introductions" thread. Please feel free to move this thread.

4. albertob Jan 4, 2018

Welcome to the family!

Flatfoot likes this.
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 4, 2018

Nice core of a collection with provenance. Welcome...

Flatfoot likes this.