Forums Latest Members

Hello! New member from Daytona Beach!

1. Wryfox Mar 17, 2017

Hello All, when I join a forum I usually say hello in the new members area but I don't see one on Omega Forums, so I'll say hello here. I'm more an Omega Collector but bear with me as a I tell a brief story first.....

My watch collecting got started in a most unexpected way 40 yrs ago:

I'm on my way to school (6th grade) back in 1976, and passing through a supermarket parking lot I found a watch on the ground that had been run over by a car. It sounded funny when I shook it (like something was broken) and almost tossed it away but then thought better and put it into my pocket. Later I found that it kept time despite the clunky sound, so I took off the broken band and put it on a wide leather band I got for $3 at the local Woolworths (remember them?). I wore this watch through 8th grade, and through all the trials and mischief a young teen can get into (this was during the Evil Knievel era when all the neighborhood boys would jump their 3 speed bikes over the biggest possible obstacles). Going into high school I got an electronic calculator watch for my birthday, so the old parking lot watch went into a box in the closet, and later when I went to college that box went into the attic.

Fast forward 30 years to two years ago when my mom finally sent me that box. 30 years in a dank Northeast US attic. I opened the box to sort through the stuff... grade school report cards...program from when I was the lead in the 5th school play, notes from childhood friends (long before social media, children actually wrote notes and cards by hand!!!). Anyway, found a box with the two old watches. Picked out the parking lot watch, shook it and it started ticking for the first time in 30 years...and the same for the old memories that came flooding back. Hearing the clunk from shaking it I still thought it must be broken somehow and I almost threw it out (again)! Since I now have poor vision, I put on a pair a strong reading glasses and looked at the face...Universal Geneve. Took the back off, found 6 service marks....and the markings 14k gold. By my research, it is 1967 UG with a 138SS bumper movement (hence the noise I thought it was broken). The leather band by this time was toast so Ithrew that away and temporarily put on a cheap gold plated band that my local jeweler gave me for free (he loved the story). Yes, it needs a service but the movement is in great shape. Its a small miracle it never broke it with all the childhood antics it went through! Got a timegrapher for Christmas, put this on it and got avg 18secs/day accuracy(but varied immensely). BE was huge, cant recall at the moment but think it was around 2.7. Honestly, its just accurate enough to wear, and I don't think I am doing damage by wearing it (someone smarter than me please weigh in).

Little did I know I was struck by the Swiss bug so long ago.....I have worn it to many important occasions over the past two years, and now will never give it up. I believe it has transcended time for a reason. BTW, the crack in the crystal has been there since I found it in that parking lot way back when.

Now I'll saunter over to talk Speedmasters....

DSC06343.JPG
    HeuerLoon, GregH, Lou P and 12 others like this.
  2. Diabolik Mar 17, 2017

Hey, I lost a watch in a supermarket parking lot around thirty years ago !

Jwit, aap and rolokr like this.
  3. Omega1 Mar 17, 2017

Great story and a very nice watch... welcome to the madhouse

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 17, 2017

Awesome story and welcome!

5. aap Mar 17, 2017

Great story! Welcome to the forum!

6. Rman Mar 17, 2017

You found a 138ss in 6th grade!

You are the chosen one.:coffee:

Welcome.

marcn and Jwit like this.
  7. FREDMAYCOIN Mar 17, 2017

Thanks for sharing a terrific story and having the discipline of taking care and preserving an awesome time piece. Now days if the younger generation inherits or finds a time piece the first thing that comes to mind is value, and off to the pawn shop.

8. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Mar 17, 2017

Great story...love it!!

Id suggest you get it serviced...after 30+ years the oil must be dried out. Servicing it will preserve it for another 30 years...assuming you find the right person to do the work. Just make sure they don't replace anything :)

enjoy and thanks for sharing!

Jwit likes this.
  9. AveConscientia Mar 17, 2017

I am so jealous!

10. Shibata Mar 17, 2017

Nice story! I wish I had a cool how I got into watches story. Mine is basically.... 4 months ago I decided I wanted a watch. I bought one ::yawn::

ahartfie likes this.
  11. Wryfox Mar 18, 2017

I hesitate to put any money into it for service, so few real watchmakers around any more...at least not around here. Or maybe just scared because of the sticker shock and worry with servicing my other vintage watches(they have to get sent out and I hate that). I'm the guy who waits til something's not right. This is *almost* not right on the Timegrapher, but seems perfect on the wrist. My biggest horror story was years ago with rolex (my first rolex, with a somewhat unscrupulous dealer)...they sent out my vintage datejust for cleaning, then called me a week later and said they have to replace some broken parts. Foolishly I did not ask for itemization and simply asked "is it necessary to keep it running"..they said yes. Came back with new crown, bezel, crystal, dial, hands. The only thing broken was the crown, and actually just the bit that holds it in. Lesson learned.

Edited Apr 4, 2017
  12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 19, 2017

That watch deserves some TLC and it doesn't need to break the bank. Sadly I suspect you will need to ship it somewhere.

13. rolokr Mar 19, 2017

Here is my first watch from when I was 5 years old that my mother gave me around 1971 !

20170318_111736.jpg
    Diabolik and Wryfox like this.
  14. Tempus Mar 20, 2017

Can certainly relate to that comment. Over the years I've collected and retained!! many watches, some of high value and others that appeal to me of not so great a value. The message I pass onto my 9yr old son is, "the watch in our collection of most value (around about $400) is your grandfather's zenith" not quite the value of some my UGs but you get what I mean.
    Welcome to the club Wryfox.