Forums Latest Members

Hello, I have some questions about a couple of Omegas I inherited.

1. ny5speed Jun 18, 2019

5210FF65-DAA8-4A9C-A3CA-8DB2A8616F99.jpeg 0B97CB89-7CC6-4AD9-8655-165566C3DC9F.jpeg BC7DE9D7-73A9-4F28-9361-AFBE177FAB3A.jpeg 0B602F67-31F3-46BB-B166-DD730C17629F.jpeg E769DBD4-8C20-4D9A-A45E-00D5AAA15A92.jpeg B8C901F2-CA51-4B21-9C2E-B76D22F52B75.jpeg E28E19C0-B221-4CC0-90C3-AFC3FE1C5FBA.jpeg D9D0D580-150A-4373-B244-6E7F00438CFD.jpeg 43C04F3D-4DCA-4645-82DF-C29184C50F5D.jpeg hello everyone my name is Jarvis, I am new to the forums, but definitely a watch enthusiast. I do not have many watches (yet), but am working on building my collection slowly. My grandfather passed away a few years ago. When my grandmother and I recently walked by an omega boutique I pointed it out and it must have triggered a memory that she remembered my grandfather had “a couple of those watches”.

Anyway on to the watches. I know one of them is a Seamaster Quartz 1337 I think and the other is an Automatic Seamaster Deville. I’ve done some research, but I can’t seem to find these particular models too easily. I don’t really care about value so much because of the sentimental value they carry (but it would be nice to know still). I want to have the Deville cleaned up. The crystal replaced and all that. Just curious more to see if they are authentic, anything unusual about them, and if there is any value in having the Seamaster quartz worked on (at a minimum the battery is dead) and the Deville. The dial and hands on the Deville seem to be clean and I think it is all original, but if someone could clarify this for my as well that would be great! Thank you!

Splicer22 likes this.
  2. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jun 18, 2019

Great watches with memories. Because the mechanical watch has been sitting for so long, you will want to get it serviced - assuming that your grandfather didn’t haven’t serviced recently before he passed. If the quartz works with a new battery, definitely wear it :) the crystal might just need a polish and not a replacement. Do not let the watchmaker polish the cases. This starts to round the edges and decreases value and looks - like bad Botox for your watch. Enjoy them!

3. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jun 18, 2019

Ps get it serviced by a watchmaker that appreciates vintage watches, definatley not a mall kiosk.

ny5speed likes this.
  4. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jun 18, 2019

Ps pt 2 the model number will be inside the caseback, the watchmaker can show you when s/he opens it. Get photos while s/he’s in there

ny5speed likes this.
  5. AriTheWatchmaker Jun 18, 2019

Hi Jarvis, Definitely consider a complete movement service for the top pic watch- the automatic seamaster de ville- those need routine service every 5 years or so.
    On the 1337 Quartz model, the factory doesnt support those early quartz "stepper motor" movements anymore, so if it runs with a battery that is a good sign. Usually you would want to service that every 10 years or when it starts acting odd or stopping, but most trained watchmakers will not attempt to service something that is unsupported with spare parts from Omega. Some will try with mixed results, but usually they are not doing a complete service at that point and I would question spending money on that one. Just maybe get a display case to look at them and remind you of family.
    Thanks for joining the group

Ari

Benbradstock and ny5speed like this.
  6. ChrisN Jun 18, 2019

The automatic looks like a 166.020. I have one on my bench at the moment and you won't be able to open it as the movement comes out of the front so, you need a watchmaker. It should have a calibre 562 inside and the good news is that as these are difficult to open, they are often nice inside as people have not been taking the back off. Definitely worth having serviced as already noted.

Good luck with them.

Cheers, Chris

7. ny5speed Jun 18, 2019

thank you everyone I appreciate the input. Just out of curiosity with the Deville because I do want to retain the originality, but at the same time make it nice to wear. I’m personally not much of a yellow gold person, and I am debating on switching the bracelet to a leather strap with yellow gold Omega buckle (if I can find one). What is the mm size of the strap on these (where it attaches to the watch and what size buckle I should get) and is that okay to change it to leather, or should I leave it with the original bracelet. To me the watch itself is what has meaning.

8. ac106 Jun 18, 2019

it's definitely ok to put it on a leather strap.

9. Dan S Jun 18, 2019

Measure the distance between the lugs. It will probably be 18mm or something like that, and then buy a strap with a yellow gold buckle. Most straps are tapered, so a strap that is 18mm where it fits between the lugs will often taper to 16mm where the buckle attaches.

10. Edward53 Jun 18, 2019

That's a nice De Ville c. 1963, looks original and unmolested. A great thing to get handed down. Lug width will be 18 mm. Gold Omega buckles are extremely expensive and you might be better off going for a plated one as the watch isn't solid gold. Buckles are a major subject of their own and you might want to look at this (admittedly bewildering in its complexity) thread.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/about-omega-buckles.37347/

ny5speed and DaveK like this.
  11. Nzhidajat Jun 18, 2019

That Seamaster DeVille is beautiful. Depending on the condition I would see if you can have the crystal polished so it stays original. Awesome watches!

ny5speed likes this.
  12. dabbispade Jun 18, 2019

One thing about watches like these that have passed down in the family is that the price tag will usually never compare to the sentimental value it carries - they are great and I really like the first one.

DaveK and ny5speed like this.
  13. ny5speed Jun 18, 2019

Thank you I will do that it seems that because of my location Manhattan Time Services seems to be the best option for any kind of service/restoration.

Nzhidajat likes this.
  14. ny5speed Jun 18, 2019

Definitely agree! The sentimental value definitely carries a huge weight for me. Plus it is my first Omega so I am very excited.

dabbispade likes this.