Forums Latest Members

Hello! I am new to vintage Omega, is this a good deal for $850?

1. sirkrimzon Feb 13, 2019

Hey guys, hope you are all well. I am currently looking at this 1952 Omega that was serviced by the owner last month, and was wondering if I am getting a good deal? The seller says it is all original parts and works well.

Here are some pictures.
    https://imgur.com/a/m2aW3rE
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]My only concern is in this picture
    https://i.imgur.com/UlFAjA9.jpg
    By 12 and 6 o clock (on the photo, not the watch), notice how the grooves for the caseback are deformed. Would this be a issue opening up the watch in the future?

Also, around 9 o clock, notice the crack in the case back.

Are either of these a true issue in your opinion or more cosmetic? The watch itself is gorgeous and I have the opportunity to buy it at a great price. Any help at all would be appreciated!

2. sirkrimzon Feb 13, 2019

I plan on using this mainly as a dress watch. The water resistance concerns remove chances of this being a true "every day" watch (even if it was back in the 50s).

3. fskywalker Feb 13, 2019

I don't think those 2 deformed grooves would be a big deal as there are other grroves in the caseback.

4. WYO_Watch Feb 13, 2019

You should really help people help you by posting photos (people don’t like following links).

Anyway, the watch is not a good deal IMO. Although the watch has a nice look to it, it’s far from perfect and that’s some serious dough for a rather run of the mill piece. The case looks polished and I am not sure if it’s the photos or the lower left lug but it looks like there are issues. The dial has patina, although not unattractive it’s overpriced. Can’t see the logo on the crown, and you have zero movement pics. I tend to distrust the “just serviced” line, but always do when they provide no movement shots.

5. WYO_Watch Feb 13, 2019

Turns out there are movement pics... whoops :whistling: proof it’s helpful!

Still overpriced ;)

6. sirkrimzon Feb 13, 2019

Why do you think it is polished? And what issues are you referring to? And what do you consider a good price for this?

7. Folgono Feb 13, 2019

The watch is still attractive but pretty worn out however. At that price point you should be able to find a better exemple (although you might hassle to find this exact same reference).
    It's hard to give a price but around 500$ would be a good/fair price. Take that with a grain of salt as I'm certainly no expert whatsoever.

8. Walid4watches Feb 13, 2019

Hey I like these wind up omegas but your paying top dollar for this one, I would say $350-$450 is more then fair price.... not sure who your buying from, if it’s someone with a good reputation or what. Check

9. Walid4watches Feb 13, 2019

Try to get a jumbo model like 2505

10. WYO_Watch Feb 13, 2019

Case looks a bit soft - I see it mostly on the side of the case. I believe this should be sharper.

774DDAED-981E-4B26-B41F-D3B0D58BC798.png

This could be a photo issue, but this is what I was referencing for potential damage on the side.

D2357E18-B577-4DD4-ABD3-35CD8F09051E.png

As far as a good price, check out comps. Check out the sales posts here (particularly sold pieces). Check out completed listings on eBay for reference as well.

Your original question was if it was a good deal, and IMO $850 is a bit steep for this example.

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 13, 2019

Not for the asking price.

12. JohnSteed Feb 13, 2019

Is that really the case @sirkrimzon ?
    Each his own, my view I’d like to buy a watch whose case was doesn’t look like my puppy’s chew toy :whistling:

efauser likes this.
  13. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 13, 2019

I would ask myself "Why would someone offer me a good deal on a watch, instead of them trying to sell it for market price, or possibly something above market price?"

Rarely to people offer 'good deals', except some of the collectors to their peers.

14. sirkrimzon Feb 13, 2019

What is comps my friend?

15. WYO_Watch Feb 14, 2019

Just means comparable watches. Aka similar watches in similar condition. If you want to know what a fair price is the best way to determine it is to know the market.

There are “good deals” to be had in vintage watches but there are also lemons.

At the end of the day it really depends on what you’re looking for out of the watch. If it’s a watch you’d like to wear and enjoy, then price may not be the most relevant factor. A good deal may be a price you are comfortable paying for a watch you want.

If you’re looking for an investment (I recommend talking to a financial advisor or buying a crystal ball) to make money on in the future the calculation is a bit different. A good deal is a price less than someone else is willing to pay for a watch they want. The end game being, you’ll need to sell it to someone else for more than you bought it.

16. ANALOGUE Feb 14, 2019

Ok guys.... Sorry if I sound rude, but in my country that is maybe 300 usd watch tops (and I would not consider it for that money either).

So at least with my preferences and the market I am active in, this is not to be consideted at 850 usd.

17. Jerseyhammer Feb 14, 2019

Morning. IMO I think it’s overpriced . Sadly ! I wouldn’t pay more than $300 and once cleaned up and serviced probably worth just over $500 . But it’s a nice watch

18. sirkrimzon Feb 14, 2019

“No, sorry. For that price I’d rather keep it. $750 is already a steal given its size, originality, looks, and fresh service history by my Omega guy. Any other professional seller would ask at least $1200 for anything comparable”

This was the sellers response to me asking to do $575 for this. Is that unreasonable?

chronoboy64 and WYO_Watch like this.
  19. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 14, 2019

So send it back
    As he’s smoking crack

Go find something better
    For much much lessor.

20. Folgono Feb 14, 2019

Yeah just pass that one. Condition isn't really great, price is way too high. Maybe a professional could sell the same reference for 1200$ if NOS lol.