Forums Latest Members

Hello from the UK...No Omega....yet.....

1. kevlar Sep 18, 2017

Hey chaps great forum here been lurking for a while as you do, as of now I do not own an Omega, however hoping that will change shortly.

So my story of how I ended up here is as follows, going back to the late 70's early 80's being a young one I was a huge starwars fan, years later started to collect starwars toys etc and built up a what i would say is a small collection which over time as I moved out of my parents just got boxed up and moved from house to house which is a pity sat up in the loft gathering dust.

Now being early 40s and having a near 3 year old daughter life takes a turn, you think differently at least it did for me from the moment she was born.

I decided that having a starwars collection which was nice for me, was now a bit pointless and ultimately should something happen to me what a pain in the backside it would be for my wife or daughter down the line to sell off nearly 20 years worth of starwars stuff, which to most people it is really just pointless - so after some thought I decided to sell it all off so a month in I have sold most of the 'good stuff' which seems to have done me proud and hence im here.

So second part of my plan which is now almost a reality is to buy a good watch that I can use myself and one day pass onto my daughter, so short list came down to a Rolex Explorer 2 or Speedmaster man on the moon - I want something classical that would stand the test of time and hopefully be of good value for my daughter to do with as she see's fit one day.

Funds have not got to Rolex level so I am happy the speedmaster is a very good place to start, I am a fan of the Speedmaster Pro Racing or Tin Tin as it's known so that is an option i'm researching.

I have owned an Orient Raven 2 which was a nice entry into automatic watches which I have now sold, owned a few G Shocks and currently own a Seiko SKX pepsi bezel which is fine for day to day duties.

Hope that didnt send anyone asleep, just thought it's a differnt story as to why I am here, I am not a person of money so for me this is a big step up for me personally, look forward to learning more and more on my journey!.

Nathan1967, SteveP, UncleBuck and 4 others like this.
  2. ICONO Sep 18, 2017

A very warm welcome to the Forum !

A very catholic group of watch lovers, who generously advise and guide new enthusiasts - you will like it here

The more you put in… the more you will get out…so some pictures of your existing watches please ?

STANDY and kevlar like this.
  3. kevlar Sep 18, 2017

Thanks for the welcome - photos to follow, it indeed seems like a good place to be already talking to a seller on the forum reagrds to a watch very exciting for me!.

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 18, 2017

Getting a Birthyear Speedmaster is the same budget as a lightly used one...

Taddyangle, kevlar and ossfm like this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 18, 2017

A warm welcome also.

Being the same vintage.

Stuff the pictures of watches, how about some pictures of your Star Wars stuff. What you had and what you have left
    ( even though I will cringe because who would have thought Star Wars toys would have been valuable )

tyrantlizardrex and kevlar like this.
  6. ossfm Sep 18, 2017

Welcome. I am a child of the 70s too. I remember sitting through Star Wars twice when it came out in 1977.

Definitely show us some pictures.

I think Foo2rama has good advice. I picked up a nice birth year Speedy for not insane money. The -74, -76 and -78 are even more reasonable if those are in your range.

Best of luck to you.

mikechi22 and kevlar like this.
  7. kevlar Sep 19, 2017

Hey all thanks for the welcome nice to find good people on these forums, I am very active on a car forum here in the UK and they are a really good bunch of people - thats what makes the world go around!.

Im at work now will get some watch photos up and some starwars photos if i still have some, as I said it was a small collection also had some other bits I have collected along the way for example I had a few garbage pail kid stickers from 1985-1986 just sold them yesterday and wow they did me proud - very close to pulling the trigger on a Speedmaster racing AKA Tintin!.

When this is done I am seriously considering selling my record collection same reason as the starwars collection, it's just not being used and it will be meaning less to my daughter.

I had in mind about a date related watch for by daughters birth, but i'm set on going with the tintin.

Watchmutt and Foo2rama like this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 19, 2017

Good watch! Might want to double check the price here before you buy.

Watchmutt and kevlar like this.
  9. kevlar Sep 19, 2017

Talking to KC on here seems ok price and a nice person to deal with.

Foo2rama likes this.
  10. Mr Blond Sep 19, 2017

Welcome!! I've still got a few of my Star Wars stuff in a box somewhere with a pile of garbage pail kids cards. I found a load of micro machines the other day as well.

Anyway happy watch hunting, always ask questions on here before you buy there is so much knowledge here it's incredible.

kevlar likes this.
  11. kevlar Sep 19, 2017

Glad to hear its not just me that collected stuff over time! - I had some micro machines all starwars related to which are now sold on - thanks for the advice, I know several have bought from KC on here and other forums and he has good feedback some have bought tin tin from him also.

12. ChrisN Sep 19, 2017

Now, don't do that. One day, you'll be able to play them again and they'll give you a lot of pleasure.:thumbsup:

These (about 1000) often end up scattered around the room in little piles as they get played and I can probably remember the year I bought all of mine (some are my wife's)::facepalm1::. Much more tactile than the digital equivalents. You also won't get much for them, typically, as this lot sold individually might fetch 5k and as a batch, probably one third of that. There are another 20 that I put onto reel to reel tape (yes,I know, another dead format...) and keep in a box. They're worth as much again but, unless you have something rare, there's no money in selling.

Whereabouts in UK are you?
    lps.jpg
    Cheers, Chris

13. kevlar Sep 19, 2017

I over a thousand albums/12's/7's - collected from about 1983 I stopped buying in around 1998 I have bought thing since if it was cheap enough, vinyl was getting more expensive in the late 90's, the music I listen to kind of started to drop off in quality - I had a few cd's around 10 or so very short lived and an unloved format for me! - mp3 just blew up quickly and I have a large collection on mp3.

I think I will sell the vinyl or at least some of them I have lots of stuff I would not listen to I may keep some key albums perhaps.

Im down south nr Bath.

mikechi22 likes this.
  14. jimmyd13 Sep 19, 2017

Welcome to the Forum. An old school friend of mine is a huge Star Wars collector. His Facebook feed tells me that he's just finished working with a writing equipment company to re-issue all their SW themed stationary, lettrasets and rulers etc.

Collectors are strange people. I'd avoid them if I were you.

(Wanna see some watches?)

kevlar likes this.
  15. ChrisN Sep 19, 2017

Vinyl did get expensive and I stopped buying a bit before you. Shame really as it seems to be big again now. If you have anything unusual (which you might as it's not the very old discs that are expensive but the limited stuff when no-one was making it) then you might get some money. Discogs will give an idea but really boring looking up your albums... takes ages.

We're in Spain at the moment but, buying a house in a village about an hour south of you. Hoping to be back later this year.

Good luck finding the Speedmaster.

Cheers, Chris

16. kevlar Sep 19, 2017

Thanks for that - I have done the long hard slog on discogs last year many late nights!

17. djmusicman Sep 19, 2017

Please don't get that Tin Tin speedmaster, it's just horrible. A birthyear (yours) Speedmaster was a good idea. Have a look around at what's available and post pictures on here of what you find if you need help.

BlueBoy likes this.
  18. Toishome Sep 19, 2017

Nothing horrible about my Speedmaster.......... Boo to you sir :p

Resized_20170901_161257.jpeg
    Edited Sep 19, 2017
  19. kevlar Sep 19, 2017

I like the Racing (Tin Tin) sorry djmusicman!

Simmy likes this.
  20. terryb111 Sep 21, 2017

Welcome from a fellow UK based watch guy with a 5 year old and a 2 year old.

kevlar likes this.