Forums Latest Members
  1. Thomas P. The P is for Palladium and Platinum Apr 9, 2016

Hello my name is Thomas. I am a vintage watch collector. My focus is solid gold, platinum or palladium watches especially those with complications. Happy collecting everyone!

2. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Apr 9, 2016

pics?

i20rider likes this.
  3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 9, 2016

Welcome Thomas.

That's a platinum Zenith in my avatar.

On the subject of avatars, you should set yourself one before @ulackfocus sets you something like a picture of Goldfinger.

Frunkinator and i20rider like this.
  4. ulackfocus Apr 9, 2016

And with a user name like that, I could go colonial on him and quote Thomas Paine in his avatar message.

5. Thomas P. The P is for Palladium and Platinum Apr 9, 2016

I guess I should get an avatar. Curious, why so little love for precious metal in watches? To me a luxury watch is supposed to be precious metal, as in gold platinum or palladium. I just can't stand the idea of spending $10,000+ on (especially) a new steel watch when several vintage precious metal ones could be bought instead. I do like my Seiko Diver with the 7s26 though. :)

mozartman likes this.
  6. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 9, 2016

I don't think anyone particularly hates precious metals. Some sport and tool watches though may be a little odd in precious metals if what one wants is....a sport watch. No matter the price.

Also, not to burst a bubble, but the amount of gold on a 10000 to 20000 watch is probably less than 2G, and on a dress watch less than 1G. So you're paying a huge premium for a metal that by itself is expensive, but on a watch it's marked up several times. So for me if I get or have a gold watch I'm less concerned with it's price than I am with how much I like it. Conversely I don't mind paying high dollar for the right steel watch.

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 9, 2016

Ready to be educated , can you show us a palladium watch....

Nobel Prize likes this.
  8. Thomas P. The P is for Palladium and Platinum Apr 9, 2016

Nobel Prize likes this.
  9. Thomas P. The P is for Palladium and Platinum Apr 9, 2016

Not all gold watches cost that much. Many vintage gold watches cost far less than that. I am simply trying to point out that the manufacturing cost for a new "luxury" steel watch is often many many times it's manufacturing cost. Look at what watches cost back in the 1950s and 1960s and put that number into an inflation calculator. Keep in mind they had far inferior manufacturing technology back then.

mozartman likes this.
  10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 9, 2016

i was just going by your post about spending 10g on a steel watch when several precious ones could be bought instead....

And yes, not all precious ones cost that much. But then again not all steel watches cost 10g either.

So I could say " why spend 20g on a gold luxury watch when I can spend 6 on a steel? Or why spend 18 g on a gold Daytona when I can get the same watch in steel for 12. Or why spend 12 g on a steel watch when I can get a 1500 gold watch....or a 100 plastic watch....or why spend the money at all!!!

Which is why my argument is "it's not the metal that holds the value, it's the watch and how much you're willing to pay for it"

meganfox17 likes this.
  11. tyrantlizardrex Apr 9, 2016

Welcome along.

Sounds interesting.

How about sharing your collection with us?

12. Thomas P. The P is for Palladium and Platinum Apr 9, 2016

Well I'm certainly not telling anyone how spend their money. I'm only saying that steel watches with very high tags are not for me. I like gold but also platinum and palladium. By the way, what do you call someone who loves platinum and palladium (not gold)? :)

13. tyrantlizardrex Apr 9, 2016

Without pictures, I call them a blag artist. ;)

14. Thomas P. The P is for Palladium and Platinum Apr 9, 2016

I will eventually do that. By the way, blag artist doesn't have the same ring as gold bug does? :)

15. tyrantlizardrex Apr 9, 2016

FTFY.

image.jpeg

oddboy and Garv like this.
  16. chunkythebulldog Apr 9, 2016

Very odd. You collect palladium watches but when asked to post one you post a link of an ebay auction!!

17. Thomas P. The P is for Palladium and Platinum Apr 9, 2016

PM me and I'll show pictures of my watches. I don't have Photobucket or Instagram.

18. tyrantlizardrex Apr 9, 2016

@Thomas P. thanks for the PM.

I'm not sure I understand.

You've come to a watch forum, and are not happy to put photos up here as you, in your own words "don't want to advertise" the fact that you have them.

You then state that you have pictures on Instagram, and photo bucket, and offer me your email address.

We're a bunch of watch geeks who like to see each other's watches... I'm not sure qhat you're either scared of, or trying to achieve.

And again, thanks for the invitation, but I will not be emailing you.

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 9, 2016

If he doesn't want to post pics that's his prerogative, no need to get on his back over it.

zrleopold and Nobel Prize like this.
  20. Thomas P. The P is for Palladium and Platinum Apr 9, 2016

I am a watch geek too, I came here to learn and eventually offer my opinions on watches that may not be as good as the seller says. I did not mean to offend anyone, I'm just a little hesitant to publicly show my collection. I am the same Thomas P. That posted and posts on Timezone.