Forums Latest Members

Hello everyone. Need your help and opinions on what to do.

1. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Jan 7, 2016

Hello everyone. So im finally graduating this may from college. You guys helped me buy my own graduation gift which was the pre moon speedy 69 and thank you for that. Now that my mother sees that i am starting to collect watches she now wants to get me a watch as well as a graduation gift from her. The budget is between 5 to 6 k usd.I just dont know whether to get one watch like a 321 cal speedy. But i like the breitling top times 810 and get another watch. Which watches would you guys recommend for my journey as a collector. Please provide pics so i can see. Thanks guys.

Gregory

mozartman likes this.
  2. Kja Jan 7, 2016

Sell yours and get the best condition ed white you can afford, it would be a wide investment above all else.

Francis_Assisi, gminnj and Noles_88 like this.
  3. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Jan 7, 2016

Thank you sir. I know your right. But honestly these first watches im buying mean something to me more than money. One was from myself for graduating. The other is from my mother. But i would love ed white.

4. Rman Jan 7, 2016

I would recommend one of these for sure:
    Screen Shot 2016-01-07 at 9.11.43 AM.png
    You should try to identify and investigate some of these watches and see which ones appeal to you and why. And maybe you will find your answers. Good luck.:thumbsup:

cicindela, Nobel Prize and Kja like this.
  5. Kja Jan 7, 2016

I understand completely, I cane bring myself to Sell my connie to get a speedy even though i want too.. It reminds me too much of my grandfather's watch he gave me that's beyond repair, so I got the Connie because it looked just like it.
    Have you seen the centenary in the fs forum? I think that's a gorgeous watch and certainly a nice investment peice. Maybe a nice dress watch like that? Or a nice iwc?

mozartman and Noles_88 like this.
  6. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Jan 7, 2016

Come on. Dont throw it in my face. Im just trying to interact and get some honest opinions. Im new to this. So just trying to see if theres some watch ideas i can get from you guys of watches ive never seen.

7. Kja Jan 7, 2016

Oh my that's just mean ^

8. Kja Jan 7, 2016

And oh so nice!!

Nobel Prize likes this.
  9. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Jan 7, 2016

Yes the iwc that barking mad has i like. Thats one option im thinking about.

10. Rman Jan 7, 2016

The post does not have a mean spirit to it, the point is that this is a hobby and it would be more satisfying to explore and see what appeals to you rather than have someone tell you... Explore the different forums here and see what fits your fancy. Your budget leaves you with many options. There are many nice pieces that pop up on the For Sale forum that are way below what you would pay with a dealer.
    Happy hunting sir!

Josh36912 and cristos71 like this.
  11. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Jan 7, 2016

I agree. I do have watches i like. The top time 810. 2002. The enicar sherpa. Pie pans. Iwc cal 89. Movado m95. I just wanted to see if there are any rare ones that i might have not seen. Maybe i am too vague on my post. Thank you sir.

12. ikeo1 Jan 7, 2016

Heh.. you have the option as a collector to collect the same watch in different varities. Different models by the same manufacturer or Different brands all together. Before anyone on here can really help, I think what Rman is saying you should really consider narrowing your focus first. Asking other people what they like is not going to get a coherant response. Personally, if you have a speedy, I'd get a Rolex. Rolex and Omega are good intros to collecting. Or you could get fancy with the Zenith or JLC, but I'm a little more basic.

Noles_88 likes this.
  13. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Jan 7, 2016

Ok. Points me to a good direction. Thank you sir with the narrowing down my focus.

14. repoman Jan 7, 2016

If you want to go Speedmaster, I say go full modern, I just gave my eldest son a Tintin for graduation- in 25 years when he looks back, the watch will be matched to his grad date and will carry additional meaning.
    Grad-219.jpg

If you want to branch out and consider other brands and diversify your budding collection, I'd suggest a Polar Rolex Explorer II, 16570. They can be had in great condition for $4500 with box and papers, and of all the Rolex pieces, its the least obnoxious. :thumbsup: If this is something that interests you, I highly recommend Tony Geha (aka "justrolexes" on the rolexforums), and also at sdwatches.com He can source anything Rolex.

mozartman, watchknut and Noles_88 like this.
  15. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Jan 7, 2016

Thank you sir. Also tell your son congratulations on the great accompishment.

16. lillatroll Jan 7, 2016

There are so many watches to choose from but I think by typing in different model names like geneve, speedmaster and seamaster in google images it will come up with many different models, you could also try omega 60s or 70s, 80s etc. I choose my watches purely on the basis of if I like the look of them and I always gravitate towards late 60s and 70s. Apart from my SM300 co axial all of my watches are from this period.

Noles_88 likes this.
  17. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Jan 7, 2016

I do agree with you on the 60s and 70s. Those are my favorite eras as well.

18. grizzlycanuck Jan 7, 2016

I think, provided you buy something you love, and you buy the best example you can find, you will come out ahead. You'll be happy and have a great piece. You won't go wrong. Good luck with your search!

Just thought I'd take chance for a mini hi-jack and a photo op :D

145.012.JPG

KstateSkier, tomo, Etp095 and 2 others like this.
  19. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Jan 7, 2016

Well thank you. Yes i want to buy something i will love and for it to be mint. As one thing i have learned here in the forum is condition condition condition. By the way great watch. Watch is mint.

grizzlycanuck likes this.
  20. chunkythebulldog Jan 7, 2016

You've already got a chronograph so why not look at something a bit dressier for your job interviews. JLC Reverso, IWC Portofino, Zenith Elite.

arkstfan, mozartman and Noles_88 like this.