Forums Latest Members
  1. xcentric Feb 20, 2015

Hi - am after a Speedster 1964 in reasonable condition - I gather looking on the FS here is a good move, but anywhere else to look? And rough pricing? Have been offered an ok one - tatty bezel, no box or papers - but DO9 and original hands and bezel for £5k (GBP) which is a bit steep I believe.....

<edit>

Edited by a mod Feb 21, 2015
  2. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 20, 2015

Here is a list of Ed White Speedmasters in nice condition with reasonable prices, just waiting for a buyer:

3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 20, 2015

You missed a couple here:

STANDY, Time Exposure and gophishin like this.
  4. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 20, 2015

Didn't see those?
    Wonder if my post count is high enough to bypass the filter...

5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Feb 20, 2015

Must be over 2,000. I can't see it either.

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 21, 2015

Show us the one you have been offered and i will see if my ones are any better.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 21, 2015

The reasonably priced CK2915 filter is 15,000, sad thing is that means Dennis is the only one that can see those

Stewart H and ulackfocus like this.
  8. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Feb 21, 2015

9. xcentric Feb 21, 2015

:)

I asked cos I'd also asked for specific feedback on one I was looking at, and only got one response. I appreciate a lot of people are looking, but I'm hoping you'll encourage my emerging enthusiasm by helping out....

10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 21, 2015

We are trying to help but they are as rare as rocking horse Shit and if any on here knew a great deal on one they would keep it hush until it was on their wrist

Here is a price chart on a great site for Speedmasters
    http://www.speedmaster101.com/price-chart/

11. xcentric Feb 21, 2015

12. xcentric Feb 21, 2015

thanks - I have read that site and seen that - it's a great effort keeping that list up to date.....

13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 21, 2015

There is a thread not long ago about this watch i think. Someone might know the thread and link it for you

14. incabloc Feb 21, 2015

exactly that what i did some weeks ago....

IMG_0061.JPG IMG_0062.JPG IMG_0064.JPG

15. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 21, 2015

Especially on a cold Chicago Morning when I have time on my hands.....
    I don't give anyone grief for asking, pretty sure we all live for the questions!

The watch in the link is tired:
    105003 ebay stg5400.JPG

The heart of the watch is always the dial - If the dial has any problems, that's when I knock money off the value.

In this example, the dial is correct, being a non pro, close T marked dial. But look at the body of the dial. There are numerous marks or scratches, that could be dust, or crystal marks - but could also be dial damage. Then the plots; they are awful. It does make me understand why people relume. Here these plots are dirty and unattractive, and I don't think they can be improved or cleaned.

The hands are missing lume, and are also dirty. Unattractive, to me at least.

The case is very polished - I mean to a shine, not over - ground but it looks a bit out of place with the dial.

It is very, very expensive....compared to this example sold recently:

http://omegaforums.net/threads/omeg...y-extract-military-history.21899/#post-238887
    Here is the photo from the listing to compare:
    tomdick 105003.jpg

Now it is possible, that the OP watch could clean up to this, but I have not done that myself. TomDicks watch (pictured and linked above) had full history and was in MUCH better condition, for less. Still the dial while good, was not, in my opinion, a fine dial (forgive me Tom!), and thus I feel the price was very fair.

Some 105.003's have sold recently for more, but these really had special dials. Here are examples of dials I would go medieval on the snipe for....

P1050010.jpg

On the left, one I acquired some time ago, serviced, and never noticed until I got it back that it has the wrong hands - oops - we all make mistakes, very embarrassing.

On the right, a fabulous example acquired from a OF member, and it was a lot more, but in my opinion the dial is very good. I know some don't like the brown edges but I do....if they look just right! see how the lugs of this watch are not polished to a mirror like the Ebay example.

heman, ChrisN and Time Exposure like this.
  16. ulackfocus Feb 21, 2015

..... which means they'll remain unpurchased until a few other members crack 15k posts. :p

17. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 21, 2015

This response is why I (and countless others) love this forum. Welcome to the forum xcentric, and stick around. You'll find friendly and knowledgeable members who like to share what they know and feel. And who like to make smart-a$$ remarks, but every family has those... :)

18. xcentric Feb 22, 2015

many thanks for all the info. Now, just to find a good one that isn't that one :0) really useful.