Forums Latest Members
  1. Aidanm Dec 10, 2018

Hi there,

I joined a few months ago have enjoyed what I’ve read so far.

I’m very new to vintage Omegas and appreciate the treasure trove of knowledge in this forum.

I’ve been trying to find a piece for myself to mark an upcoming life event so have spent a bit of time browsing my local eBay equivalent sale site in New Zealand. Up until now I’ve enjoyed looking and comparing to old photos to try and smarten up.

I came across this piece in the last few days and would appreciate thoughts on the dial. It’s listed as original having been purchased in Austin Kaye, London, and recently serviced.

The Seamaster text on the dial seems off to me, in particular the “S” and the first “e” when I compare to other photos online.

I’d love to hear others thoughts and learn more.
    Sorry about these photos, I’ve taken them from the listing.

Kind regards,
    Aidan

356F6157-2BD8-475A-B64D-8ADA18FC1062.png 971E6385-5E67-464B-BD89-91BEC31A3DBD.png
  2. trash_gordon Dec 10, 2018

I'm not sure about the Crosshair on the dial. And it looks all too shiny and clean imho

3. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Dec 10, 2018

It’s from Austin Kaye who like to make vintage watches look very new. Therefore a redial and polish before sale is the norm, run away if you are only interested in something unadulterated.

Aidanm likes this.
  4. Aidanm Dec 10, 2018

Wow, thanks for the quick replies.

Yes, I’m interested in something unadulterated.

Just out of curiosity, is the script of “Seamaster” not quite right?

5. Kapka Dec 10, 2018

Nothing vintage in that piece but I’m stil a bit impressed with his work. If the size would be 40 mm it could look like next year novelty release from Omega :)

6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 10, 2018

7. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Dec 10, 2018

What made me think redial were - omega automatic fonts, the crosshairs, the Swiss made, much too bright n white for the age of the watch. And I had already read the bit about Austin Kaye, who have a reputation for “restoring” and charging high prices to wealthy, uninformed buyers.