Forums Latest Members
  1. nop1in Feb 16, 2016

Hi - been reading the forum for a while now and found it incredibly helpful and educational

I thought - rather selfishly - that now I have a question of my own, I should register:

This is my first foray into vintage (i have a couple of 90s omegas) and despite doing my research I'd love some confirmation what I bought is unaltered. I am able to return the watch if I have concerns

The crystal does indeed have the omega logo in the middle - i couldnt capture that!

Any concerns on the dial or hands? Thanks in advance

IMG_3928.JPG IMG_3930.JPG
  2. nickw Feb 16, 2016

MY .02 looking a this as far from an expert my instincts say ugh

The Ranchero script looks way off to me particularly the top of the "a"
    Can't see swiss made at the base of the dial? not sure
    Hour hand looks different than rancheros I have seen where the base of the arrow head is swept back more
    Even if it was a legit dial would be relumed.
    Unrelated to the originality of the watch the strap looks too narrow in the lugs.

If I'm totally wrong I look forward to having one of the more experienced folks here tell me what I got wrong. In general helpful to post better photos with clearer dial and caseback, movement and inside caseback photos too.

Edited Feb 16, 2016
  3. redpcar Feb 16, 2016

Hands are wrong. Redial or total fake dial. Case looks wrong but would like to see the inside of the case back. At best the watch is put together from pieces. At worst, total fake. Sorry for the bad news.

4. nop1in Feb 16, 2016

appreciate the wealth of knowledge and early replies on here... i was concerned that it may have been relumed.

For what it's worth:
    - There is 'swiss made' text not quite visible in my photos, and
    - The strap is not original (i knew that going in but forgot to mention in my post)

I'm taking it to my friendly watchmaker tomorrow to pop the caseback and see the movement but sounds like i have my answer :(

5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 16, 2016

Hopefully you didn't pay Ranchero prices...

6. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Feb 16, 2016

As mentioned by others, the dial looks refinished at best or could be a total fake in the worst case scenario. The hands look like reproductions and the crown is incorrect.

7. nickw Feb 16, 2016

Seems like a good time to exercise your return option.

8. nop1in Feb 16, 2016

yep - didnt pay (at least what i've seen to be) ranchero prices but once again if something is on ebay for cheap it is usually 'too good to be true', esp with vintage and suddenly hot items

9. omar Feb 16, 2016

Saw it on eBay and decided it was too good to be true. Hands are wrong, omega big arrow hands are much more delicate, as pointedly out above.
    Lug shape also looks very odd.

10. pitpro Likes the game. Feb 16, 2016

The case is wrong too. Probably Chinese.
    See the big gap between the bezel and the lugs?
    Return it!

watchyouwant likes this.
  11. nop1in Feb 16, 2016

it did just occur to me that, for a 1950s watch, the case is remarkably sharp AND polished (you'd expect one or the other right?). It's going back tomorrow

12. nickw Feb 16, 2016

13. nop1in Feb 17, 2016

Actually - i thought based on the omega vintage archive website that this came in cal284, 5 or 6 flavors.... Nevertheless, it's being returned!

14. nickw Feb 17, 2016

15. nop1in Feb 17, 2016

16. nop1in Feb 18, 2016

firstly, thanks for the advice on here! return in progress although seller is refusing to pay return costs...
    I'm intrigued to know - what is the forum etiquette for bad ebay sellers? Another forum I occasionally post and read on doesnt allow naming, links, etc

17. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 18, 2016

Seems to be fair game here -- everyone looks out for each other. I've seen quite a few eBay cheats get named/ ads linked on this forum.

18. nickw Feb 18, 2016

Sorry I gotta say it seems like you didn't spend much time researching this or even just reading the auction terms. eBay scares me always has always will so I approach everything with heavy paranoia.

1) They already had some feedback on ebay that might have been instructive
    2) There's nothing in the listing I would say looks like hyper-deception - they might not have known what they were selling.
    3) They had pictures of everything and even listed the caliber ref with modest research or consulation here the additional photos beyond what you shared would have set of alarm bells left and right
    4) you were able to return it without a problem when I just looks a the the listing specifically says "14 days Money back Buyer pays return shipping".

If I were you I'd get be happy to get away with a light scrape (shipping costs) rather a more expensive learning experience (which myself and I'd guess most of the people have had at some point). I don't know if you asked them any questions before buying but getting specific committed responses to anything you are questioning usually gives more data for a decision and more ammunition for an eBay dispute if called for.

Would I ever buy from this seller - no. Do I think there are a gazillion shadier rip off artists on eBay than this seller - yeap.

19. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 18, 2016

It's not uncommon for buyer to pay return shipping costs in the event of a return. As nickw says, that's getting of lucky by most accounts.

20. redpcar Feb 18, 2016

Shipping cost is a very low noob tax compared to eating the entire amount spent on the watch ;)