Forums Latest Members
  1. mz1756 Apr 10, 2016

New to this group. Opinions on this Constellation. What I think is a very good buy price. All 18kt. all original, 551, 19 serial number. No pictures of case back. s-l1600-4.jpg s-l1600-3.jpg s-l1600-2.jpg s-l1600-1.jpg s-l1600.jpg

2. tyrantlizardrex Apr 10, 2016

Hey, Welcome.

In no way knowledgeable about this piece at all, but general observations of the case:

1 - The case back has been pretty heavily polished, possibly to try and get rid of some of the tool marks scratched into the back by careless/incompetent opening... that big one from a set of pliers wasn't coming out though was it? ;)

2 - The 4 O'Clock lug looks to have a series of small round dent's knocked into it... which is weird.

You say it's at a good price... I take it you have some concerns to be asking for advice?

Care to share/discuss them?

3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 10, 2016

I will let the real experts weigh in here but from my reading, the machining on case back is already sending franken watch alarm bells. Not enough detail on the movement.

4. mz1756 Apr 10, 2016

I know the owner. Just looking for thoughts. s-l1600-3.jpg s-l1600-2.jpg s-l1600.jpg

5. tyrantlizardrex Apr 10, 2016

It's generally considered helpful to throw in what you think/know yourself, and then ask for feedback, rather than ask the forum to play "Guess Who?".

Much like any good relationship, the more you put in here, the more you get out.

Willem023 likes this.
  6. mz1756 Apr 10, 2016

Everything I know about the watch has been stated.

7. tyrantlizardrex Apr 10, 2016

Sorry, struggling to understand what you're trying to gain from this post.

Are you looking to buy this watch and have concerns?

Are you trying to find out more about this type of watch in general?

Can you explain what it is that you need, so that we can help you?

Saying "Just looking for thoughts" isn't hugely constructive.

We're all happy to help, but you're going to have to put in a little bit too. :)

chronos and Willem023 like this.
  8. cimo Apr 10, 2016

Looks to have a polished case but otherwise it seems like you are confident in your seller. All that remains is to match the reference number to the rest of the bits. Sure you can't get the seller to snap one of the case back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. mz1756 Apr 10, 2016

Thanks for the reply. Thinking about buying. I've seen the watch and it looks great to me, no concerns. Person looking to sell for $2500.00. Wish I had pictures of case back.

10. mz1756 Apr 10, 2016

Should be able to. I'll post when I get one.

11. Willem023 Apr 11, 2016

For that price, I would run, you can do much better for less, if you invest time and do your own research.

But hey, you love it and have no concerns, so buy it!
    Still wanting to know some more?
    Heavy polished case (back: brrrr.....), some dents at the lug at 4, scratches on the dail underneath the Constellation....
    Might just be a fine donor watch....:unsure: Few hundred bob?

My 2 cnts
    W

12. ConElPueblo Apr 11, 2016

If you happen to have a 18KT Constellation in the same condition yourself, I'll happily help you get rid of it for a "few hundred bob" :D
    The scratches on the dial could easily be reflections from dirt/minor scratches on the crystal, it's difficult to say for sure.

IMO, it has had too many encounters with the polishing cloth to be worth $2,500, but that is only my opinion. Nicer examples are out there, and you could well find yourself with a watch that is hard to move on without losses, should you be forced to sell. How is the service history?

Willem023 likes this.
  13. Willem023 Apr 11, 2016

:rolleyes:

14. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 11, 2016

Hi mz1756,
    Here's my take:
    - You have an average condition of 18K gold Constellation Pie Pan onyx insert dial with dog leg lugs. Probably ref 168.005
    - The case and caseback has been polished quite a bit, but not so much that you can not see the stars and observatory bricks on medallion anymore.
    - The dial is original IMO and quite nice, with onyx insert markers and cross hair
    - Crown is original (?), all hands looks correct with a plus genuine omega crystal.
    - Movement looks clean, Nothing I immediately worry about, but a better complete shot would give peace of mind. Oh also ask for inside case back shot .
    - It is possible genuine or even original leather strap and buckle, but I would change it into fresh new strap for better hygiene.
    - There are minor defects such as dimples on bottom right lugs (which you should ask better picture), scratch on caseback (damn you amateur watch tinkerer that deface this beauty specimen) and small dots on dial surface. If you are super perfectionist you may stay away from this watch, but if you are a casual wearer like me, those are so small that you will not see it from normal distance.

Now for the price... I would say USD 2,500 is not outrageous offer. You could ask seller knocking few hundreds because of the imperfections. At USD 2,000 it is already a good bargain IMO.

Best,
    H

15. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Apr 11, 2016

Any chance of full frontal shot?
    The lugs look 'not too bad' from the side
    But seriously goosed from the front
    The clipped photos don't help assessment
    If so - not a collectors piece
    Nice dial
    A decent 18k dogleg pie pan is now going to set you back $3000+
    With date often preferred (personal preference - I like both)
    I wouldn't pay $2500 for this if you see it as gaining in (collectors') value

The original buckle would have been 18k too to match - there was a discussion about gold Connie buckles recently ( search @bart)