Forums Latest Members
  1. LindaO Mar 11, 2017

Hello All, Im so glad to have found and joined this community. fullsizeoutput_66.jpeg fullsizeoutput_ad.jpeg fullsizeoutput_ab.jpeg fullsizeoutput_ac.jpeg fullsizeoutput_aa.jpeg fullsizeoutput_a9.jpeg fullsizeoutput_af.jpeg fullsizeoutput_ae.jpeg I am new to horology and I am totally hooked...I guess I always loved watches but now that Im semi retired I have the time to do the research which has only made me more curious and frankly addicted. Ive acquired a couple of nice watches...a 1960-61 18k rose gold 33.5mm 24J cal 562 Omega Geneve, a 34.5 mm 1960's yellow gold capped Omega Seamaster (manual wind) and just the other day a 1950's Stainless Steel Omega Automatic "bumper" Seamaster 34.5mm of this one I reach out to all of you for help.
    Has anyone ever heard of a fake 1950's Omega automatic Seamaster "Bumper" cal 342 ...because I think just bought one from reputable EU auction house.
    All looked authentic in pic's (no movement pic) and description stated Omega Automatic Seamaster "bumper" cal 342 case 2578-3C 1950's
    When it arrived I wanted to get serial number to date...opened it the screw back case and NO serial number .... everything else looked accurate..jewels screws..quality color of movement and gears matched authentic photos I researched...Ive contacted the auction house but I am soooo disappointed...From the wear and grime of this watch it is older and Im wondering if the original owner also bought it as an authentic Omega...only thing is there are 2 jeweler markings on inside the back...they should have known...and the auction house "expert" should have noticed no serial number as he clearly took the back off to get the caliber and case numbers....From what Ive been researching ALL Omega's had serial numbers on the movements...so now I ask...has anyone ever known of an authentic Omega of that era not to have one? Ill try to upload the pic's I took with my iPhone...hope you can see them well enough to discuss. Many thanks for any insight information you may have to share. I look forward to sharing info I get along my path to enlightenment ( as far as watches go that is) Best Regards Linda

Vitezi likes this.
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 11, 2017

Welcome.

First you are misreading the case reference number it is 2576 not 2578.

Second the missing serial number is likely down to a replaced bridge at some point in its life.

The watch is perfectly genuine.

AveConscientia and LindaO like this.
  3. LindaO Mar 11, 2017

Thank you VO Aficianado..yes my eyes play tricks on me sometime...my apologizes. This is good news as I desired to own a bumper.. and didn't want to return it..only if it were a fake. Why would the bridge need replacing...seem like the least likely piece to go awry.
    Again thank you for your reply. Linda

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 11, 2017

See the pivots and jewels in the bridge, these can wear.

BTW, the dial has been refinished, that is not a positive for the watch.

Foo2rama and LindaO like this.
  5. LindaO Mar 11, 2017

Oh thanks I didn't realize that...thank you for the input...L

6. LindaO Mar 11, 2017

Hi Steve...well I looked closely at dial with lope on head magnifier and there is a light patina on dial...how do you know it has been refinished...just trying to learn...appreciate your thoughts. L

7. kreyke Apr 6, 2017

The subdial looks to coarse. And the "seamaster" wording is a lot darker than "omega automatic"

LindaO likes this.
  8. LindaO Apr 6, 2017

Thank you Kreyke....

9. Gordon Heavyfoot Apr 9, 2017

Any way that you can polish the crystal up a bit and post a clear, close-up dial pic? Not sure it's a redial.

10. LindaO Apr 9, 2017

Yes I have Ill load them in a minute...but someone mentioned that the Seamaster print was darker than the rest of the lettering i.e. Omega ...its still a stunning watch and I love the bump :)

11. LindaO Apr 9, 2017

here are recent pic's ..it has radium paint so I don't dare take off the crystal IMG_5525.JPG DSC_0001.jpg

12. Gordon Heavyfoot Apr 9, 2017

13. LindaO Apr 9, 2017

Thank you so much...I had seen the WUS when I was researching and maybe the one on ebay as well...but thank you for the time and links :)

14. LindaO Apr 9, 2017

Ok 2 last pic's I just took....I think the word seamaster is a little crooked...so if it is a redial Im not bothered..because it looks and feels really nice one and runs well. Being from the 50's just amazes me...theres just something special about this watch...I bought it without seeing the movement which was, I admit a mistake..but learning it was not a fake from posts here was reassuring. Hope these photos help others

IMG_5902.JPG IMG_5901.JPG
  15. M.C.B1974 Apr 9, 2017

Hi,
    Happy to hear that you are happy with the watch, I have a 2420 omega and it is a bumper.... the dial is refinished on mine as well but I love the watch and the redial does not bother me. Most of my watches I wanted 100% correct but there is always one that you have a special soft spot for.
    Hope the watch works well for many many years to come and you wear it in great health.:)

16. LindaO Apr 9, 2017

Thank you for your kind words! Wow, I didn't know what that was and just looked it up on ebay (quickest) item (172579179932) Is yours like that as well?

what a lovely watch that is...the first Omega automatic..very cool!

17. M.C.B1974 Apr 9, 2017

My 2420 is 14k with a different dial, I have it posted on here. The 30.10 and the 28.10 are the first Omega automatic movements, I'm not sure but I believe the 30.10 was the first.
    I do really like the bumper movements, I think it is great that you like yours. Some people don't like the feel of the bumper bouncing back and forth.

18. LindaO Apr 9, 2017

Ill look for your watch ( could you direct me to the post) sounds great...and I think the bump is fun

19. M.C.B1974 Apr 9, 2017

The post should say new pictures of omega pie pan dial 167.005, just use the search and type that in and it should come up.
    I have a pie pan and the 2420 pictures posted.
    Hope you like it.:thumbsup:

20. LindaO Apr 9, 2017

Found your post and pic...love those watches...I know you will enjoy them forever...and you received a lot of good info from the very skilled members...lucky you :)