Forums Latest Members
  1. tinger Jan 9, 2013

Hey guys.
    I just joined the forum.
    55 male, live in Weehawken, NJ
    and Yes, I'm a watch-o- holic
    Got into the 'hobby' last Mar so I'm still learning.
    I've accumulated over a dozen watch so far.
    I dont have a 'collection' per se.. i'm all over the place, from Seagulls and seikos to various European brands.
    I do have 3 speedmasters - 3750.50 with a panda dial, Alaska project and the FOIS.
    I recently purchased a sm300 and would like to get it look over and service.
    Can anyone recommend a relatively reasonable watch maker in the nyc area besides the omega boutique?
    My first foray into vintage was a rolex 1675. I didn't know what I was doing and got burned with this watch.

all the best,
    Ting

2. ulackfocus Jan 9, 2013

Hi Ting. We have a few members in the NJ / NY group. Great area for vintage watches. And don't worry about getting burnt on your first vintage purchase. It happens to virtually all of us (click HERE to see my gaffe), which is why we're happy to help new collectors.

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 10, 2013

Welcome Ting. There is a great Watchmaker in your area that is also a member here. I'll let Dennis, ulackfocus ,do the introduction as he is dropping of watches there all the time :D
    That is a nice group of Speedys you have, I love the new FOIS :thumbsup:

4. tinger Jan 10, 2013

Thanks for the welcome!
    Re FOIS, I think I'm going to change the sapphire to acrylic.

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 10, 2013

I thought about the same thing, except that I don't have a FOIS yet :D , just the 2998-6.

If you do change it you may also want to use the silver compression ring (as does the 2998) with the crystal, I think it would look better than the black in this case

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 10, 2013

I didn't know you could swap sapphire for hesalite on a Speedy :\ is it really possible?

7. ulackfocus Jan 10, 2013

Sure, why not? You can also swap a bumper for a full rotor - like that Genève we saw a while back that we were amazed the subdial pinion lined up.