Forums Latest Members
  1. Walrus Dec 30, 2019

Hello,

Early this year I picked up a constellation. It has a quickset date and the original bracelet. It has damage on the dial, forgive me but I forget the year and ref. I have it written down somewhere. Anyway I don’t really mind the damage, I got it for a little under 300, then serviced it. So I think with the damage that was fair although I was much more of a noob at that time, now I’m a semi noob.

I see these things trying to be sold at crazy numbers. Anyway I’m wondering how much damage like this would effect the price and if anyone thinks it’s worth picking up a new dial to repair it. I’m not looking to flip it, however I will sell things to get something new or trade locally.

I think you can see it on these pics. It’s between 11-12 only damage on the watch View attachment 899704 image.jpg

2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Dec 30, 2019

Hmmmm, with so many Connies out there I would avoid one that had dial damage like this. So it would need to be at a healthy discount for me to consider it. Someone with a spare dial might value it higher than someone who was just looking for a nice Connie. I think it would be worth seeing if you can get another dial; if at a low enough cost it could easily pay for itself.

Walrus likes this.
  3. Walrus Dec 30, 2019

Ya I hear you. I think I payed 285 so I figured I could deal with the damage. It really doesn’t bother me that much I like it. Like I said I’m thinking of the dial if I trade or do sell to get something different in the future. It seems the few dials I’ve seen are 200 and over and although I do these selling for crazy money, including one here to me I figure it’s realistically a 600 dollar watch or so in better condition. That’s my dilemma, I really don’t know if it’s worth putting a new dial on it. I grabbed it at the 285 as like I said I was just starting out and didn’t mind picking up something cheap with a little damage. I don’t notice it it from wrist distance.

After being around here I see most people probably wouldn’t touch something like this. But tbh if I see something like this on the cheaper side, I think 285 was fair with this damage but I’m not 100% sure which is why I ask.

Edited Dec 30, 2019
  4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Dec 31, 2019

I think $285 was a fair deal. Probably even a pretty good deal. I think you would always be able to get your money back if you sell, and maybe even $65 more.

Samir likes this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 31, 2019

So $285 and what did the service cost ?

So a dial, hands and new endlinks are needed.

And that’s why I gave up project watches or watches with issues other than a crown or crystal years ago. They always cost more than the nice example. Nowadays I buy the nice example

Edward53, lindo, DaveK and 2 others like this.
  6. Walrus Dec 31, 2019

So are you saying the hands look wrong? I’ve put it up prior and haven’t heard that. Comparing it to others the hands look the same. The endlinks are turned up a bit but I don’t think they need new ones.

7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 31, 2019

The black stick hands are correct for this no lume dial, unfortunately as previously noted the dial itself is a bit of a mess.

Samir likes this.
  8. JwRosenthal Dec 31, 2019

I say leave it alone. Some people like the “patina” (damage) on a dial and think it gives it character. Throwing money at this watch with the intent to improve its value is like putting a $40k kitchen in a $200k house...your not gonna get much of that investment back.

Dan S, 89-0, Walrus and 1 other person like this.
  9. JwRosenthal Dec 31, 2019

And I agree with @STANDY - project watches become a money pit, but we all have to learn the lesson, sometimes the hard way. This was your first Omega purchase and a great buy for your first shot out of the gate- keep it and wear the shit out of it- nothing to lose.

DaveK, 89-0 and Walrus like this.
  10. lindo Dec 31, 2019

When I look back at my first Constellation purchase I shudder. I too thought it would be a nice project to replace the battered hands, ask my watchmaker mate to get the wobbly movement operating going properly, and brush up the case a little. However my watchmaker told me that service cost alone would bring the price up to the level of similar Constellations in much better condition. I turned it over and vowed never to buy low again.

Samir and JwRosenthal like this.