Forums Latest Members
  1. katharinaleppert Dec 21, 2015

Hello guys!

I am new here. Since I left my parents house a few years ago, I have been carrying a lot of random items that I buy at flea markets. One of the curious objects that I have acquired was an Omega pocket watch. It has a 200 Reis portuguese coin attatched from 1909. I assume that the watch is from around the same data.

So I am at home with some friends and the topic "random cool things that we buy" comes up.
    I want to know two things: It's value and "Do you guys know if I can track the story of this watch?"

As you may see from the pictures below, it has that number on the back but nothing else engraved on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love stories. And specially trying to get back on time and finding out who might owned it, I don't even know if that is possible. I got it in Portugal but it might have come from another place, maybe. Honesty it wouldn't surprise me if there was no Omega in Portugal at that time since we only have beach, good food and cool people.
    I don't want to take it to a store here because I am afraid that it disappear or something.
    (One time I tried to know more about it and the lady at the Jewelry Store told me if She could keep it for a day.)

Thanks!

2. Kit352 Dec 21, 2015

Circa 1912 by the serial numbers. Can you get a picture of the movement?

3. katharinaleppert Dec 21, 2015

Uggggh, i am trying to upload it here but it's failing. Is it important?

4. Kit352 Dec 21, 2015

It helps determine if its original and what type of movement it is. Perhaps if you can read the numbers you can type them here.

5. katharinaleppert Dec 21, 2015

you mean like opening the back part? i am such a noob. sorry.

6. Kit352 Dec 21, 2015

Yes. The movement is behind the back plate. A watchsmith should be able to open it for you.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 21, 2015

Value isn't much, if its silver it'll be worth a little more than silver weight and thats about it, due to the cracked dial and just the fact that there are a lot of pocket watches out there, they were kind of the iPhone of their era, everyone had one yet nobody really uses them anymore so the supply is far higher than demand.

If you're curious about a bit more detail you could order an extract from the archive but it costs about what the watch is worth and will likely only tell you that it was delivered to Portugal (guessing it was, though sometimes one can be surprised, one of mine came back as "French Colonies" when it was found in Texas).

8. katharinaleppert Dec 22, 2015

Whoa really? that's cool. you should call it paris-texas watch!!!
    Well its going to rest in my drawer of cool things, I was and I am so curious about it. What's that archive thing?

9. Kit352 Dec 22, 2015

The archive is a service through omega. You supply them with all the serial numbers from your watch and they trace it back to its build date. They give you as much info as they can about it. I've never done it but I think it's mildly expensive for a watch that you probably didn't pay much for.
    Just having the back pulled off and those numbers would be a much cheaper alternative. You would need to do that anyway to have the archival search done.

10. PatrickJ Dec 22, 2015

Could the glass/crystal still be replaced today? I wonder if you can get a closer pic of the Omega logo and letters on the dial?

11. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Dec 22, 2015

The dial looks quite a lot like my Omega trench wristwatch from around 1912, with obvious differences in the tracks:

Photo Nov 24, 8 08 07 PM.jpg Photo Nov 24, 8 05 59 PM.jpg Photo Nov 04, 1 08 22 AM.jpg

PatrickJ likes this.