Forums Latest Members

Heading to San Francisco next week...

1. tyrantlizardrex Jul 5, 2019

...for work, but have some free time.

I'm planning to catch the A's x WhiteSox game on Friday night, and nerd out at the Cal Academy - any recommendations for other stuff I should check out?

2. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Jul 5, 2019

https://houseofnanking.net/

It’s a bit of a hole in the wall, but perhaps the best Chinese food I’ve had. The wife and I go at least once every time we visit the Bay Area.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  3. TDBK Jul 5, 2019

I haven't been to House of Nanking since it was a smaller hole in the same wall (maybe 20 years ago). Do they still do the schtick where you order one thing and they tell you that you should order something else? If so, go with their recommendation.

Last time I could kill an evening in SF I went to Tommy's Joynt, which is also a hole in a wall, but of a different stripe (hofbrau). An excellent place for a beer and some food.

3nicewatches and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  4. Rman Jul 5, 2019

I’d recommend walking across the Golden Gate Bridge, it’s a must. Consider visiting Golden Gate park, within it is the Japanese tea gardens, the De Young museum and the conservatory of flowers. All can be enjoyed with a rented bicycle and a long afternoon.

If you enjoy a pint ;) you may want to visit the Toronado in the Haight for a taste of the old divey SF that is sadly fading away, and while you’re at it a sausage at Rosamunde next door.

5. river rat Jul 5, 2019

Well here are a few things to check out.
    If your into the moon landing check out the USS Hornet Museum it picked up the Apollo 11 space capsule when they came back from the moon. They use to have a good exhibit on it.
    https://www.uss-hornet.org/
    And this Sunday the Alameda Antique fair some time a good place to find antique watches.
    http://alamedapointantiquesfaire.com/
    You can hit them both in the same day there both on the old Navy base. Have a good time use to go see the A's at the Oakland coliseum years ago I remember the first game I went to in the 1970's there.

asrnj77, marturx and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  6. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Jul 5, 2019

Its more than 20 years since I first went there - but yes, go with their recommendations, it’s always a winning strategy there.

TDBK likes this.
  7. tyrantlizardrex Jul 5, 2019

Thank you sir!

The USS Hornet looks great... maybe I can head over to see her before the A’s game on Friday night. :thumbsup:

8. Vitezi Jul 5, 2019

bdp and marturx like this.
  9. abrod520 Jul 5, 2019

Best thing to do in San Francisco is leave.

Kidding (not really) aside, the coast is what’s really special about California. Take a drive north of SF on route 1, about an hour away is Point Reyes National Seashore. It’s truly beautiful

10. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 5, 2019

Or walk up Lombard for a good stretch of the legs!
    I second the coast drive and also loved the redwood forest.

Taddyangle likes this.
  11. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jul 5, 2019

What part of town you staying? Driving in SF isn’t that enjoyable. Walking distance stuff is the best.
    Columbus Street Italian joint on the sidewalk proves interesting.
    Walk or bike across the GF
    Union SQ has some good restaurants in the area.
    If you walk, know what goes up and what goes down
    Too much to list probably

Edited Jul 5, 2019
  12. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 5, 2019

Agree!
    Hour and a half to cross town mid-day, could've walked faster.

Some good eats in Sausalito, nice town right next door.

gemini4 likes this.
  13. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jul 5, 2019

The ferry to Sausalito and back

Nathan1967 and UncleBuck like this.
  14. Rolycoaster Jul 5, 2019

The Mission is where it's at, Smashburger or Big Mouth Burger and ice cream from Bi-Rite Creamery. And have an appointment for HQ, or maybe celebs don't need them?

15. 8100_RPM Jul 5, 2019

As river rat mentioned, you should definitely check out the USS Hornet Museum at the former NAS Alameda.

If you're a meat eater, you should stop by the House of Prime Rib on Van Ness Ave in SF. You usually have to book two months in advance if you want to eat during prime time but they do set aside a number of tables for walk-ins so get there early!

http://houseofprimerib.net/

16. taz101 Jul 5, 2019

Deep dish pizza!

17. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Jul 5, 2019

You’re about 2,000 miles too far west

18. taz101 Jul 5, 2019

Technically yea but we had an amazing one here

https://sfcapos.com/

19. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jul 5, 2019

Be sure to visit Muir Woods National Monument. You’ll feel like you’re an Ewok on the planet Endor, surrounded by the tallest trees on the planet. Don’t drive your rental car there though, as parking at this time of year is reserved weeks in advance. Uber it.

marturx, MMMD and UncleBuck like this.
  20. Evitzee Jul 5, 2019

Keep your wits about you these days .... many homeless, drug paraphernalia strewn about, urine smell, feces....it's all a part of modern San Francisco in the 21st century. Many places fine, others not so much.

I've always had great food at Harris' Restaurant (Pacific and Van Ness). Classic San Francisco steakhouse, both food and atmosphere are top class. http://www.harrisrestaurant.com/

If you have a car head north, it's not too far for a day in Napa or Sonoma Valleys for some wine tasting and generally enjoying a beautiful part of CA.

gemini4 likes this.