Forums Latest Members
  1. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 1, 2018

hi guys

I will be in Rome next week... any suggestions ? Anyone local?

Best
    Bill

2. larryganz The cable guy Apr 1, 2018

Have Fun!

I'm bummed that my wife and daughter will be in Rome in 2 weeks, without me, and then setting off for a 10 day cruise on day #3. My health issues make traveling overseas a bad idea, and I'd need a couple more batteries for my oxygen concentrator to take a flight that long (need O2 above 7-8K feet due to lower air pressure in the plane cabin).

3. Ssunnylee24 Apr 1, 2018

I will be heading to Rome as well at the end of next month. I would love to hear some local restaurants and other good spots.

4. staristheanswer Apr 1, 2018

Tripadvisor!!

5. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Apr 1, 2018

Just got back from Italy for work, not Rome tho sadly ... lots of watch, inc vintage watches in Milan

6. trackpad Apr 1, 2018

Maybe the worst source for accurate info IMO. TA is notoriously gamed by local restaurants and hotels. This goes for all cities.

For food, I recommend Lonely Planet, Zagat, and the Michelin Guide of course – the later has a map to show ratings/reviews of anything notable close by. Great for finding something last minute, and well worth the price if you are into food.

Sorry – no local suggestions – not from me, unfortunately. Always wanted to go. Hope to make it next year. Can't wait to probably make a mistake there buying a watch!

I have a good friend who is a Rome nerd. I will ask him for tips and paste back here later.

7. Lucasssssss Apr 1, 2018

I was in Rome last summer for a couple of days. I had never been to Rome before, and so I was trying to do everything in 3 days, so my view will be from a 21 year olds tourist perspective on a whistle stop tour. I am sure a locals recommendations are very different.

I can highly recommend Bonci Pizzarium, which is near the Vatican, it is a takeaway pizza shop, and you can just choose how much of one of their square pizzas you want. The pizza there is wonderful. I can also recommend rowing in the Villa Borghese gardens, which was really very pleasant. With all the major tourist attractions, buy tickets in advance. Please don't make the same mistake I did, and queue up for tickets again, not realising there is a separate queue for ticket holders! If you are planning on going to the Coliseum get there early, if you are planning on going to the Vatican, get there really early, with early entry tickets through a tour guide. The Roman Forum is interesting, but very large (and unless you have allot of time, or are interested, I wouldn't recommend seeing everything) There is lots of art in Rome (if that interests you) there are many important pieces in the Vatican museum, but also I enjoyed the Capitoline Museums, which are more archeologically focused. The Spanish steps are overrated, and I wouldn't recommend going to see them unless you are passing by.

I passed a watch shop called 'watchesinrome', who looked like they carried some nice vintage watches.

As with any city it really depends what you want to get out of the trip, and why you are going. Art, Culture, Food, all of the above? If you have time, it is actually very nice to just have a wander around, and see what Gelato/pizza restaurant you stumble upon

Enjoy Rome! It is a great city!

Edited Apr 1, 2018
  8. MaiLollo Apr 1, 2018

As far as watch spots are concerned, I have no idea. I know a few but they're expensive. I was born in Rome though, so if you need spots to eat, here are my family's (and mine) favorite restaurants:
    - Nonna Betta in the jewish district (you can't not take a carciofo alla giudia if in Rome, and for the love of god go to the galleria Spada by Borromini, one of my favorite places in Rome that's overlooked by many Romans)
    - I due ladroni (not far from the Vaticano)
    - Da Luciano (not in the centre of the city but my favorite restaurant for the past 20 years, they have the best carbonara in the world without a doubt. Morgan Freeman's cantine when he shot a movie in Rome)
    - Pane e salame for sandwiches on the spot, right besides Fontana di Trevi.

Let me know if you need advice for accomodation, I know a very good airbnb in the Prati neighborhood

Uniqez, Larry S, w154 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 1, 2018

Hard to beat a local’s recco ... we had great results with Chow Hound when we were there. Lot of the best places are tucked away in side streets so allow enough time to find them. Pretty rigorous about reservations and seatings. Another thing we did was the city pass purchased at the Termini (Central Train Station) .. gets you into venues, busses and trains. Vatican Tour is must. Galleria Borghesi, Pantheon. There is so much to take in otherwise beyond the Caesar shuffle.

Edited Apr 1, 2018
    MaiLollo likes this.
  10. JohnSteed Apr 1, 2018

If in Firenze .... enjoy!

Larry S likes this.
  11. bardamu Apr 1, 2018

I've been living in Rome for 20 years now, I can suggest to enjoy rione Monti, very downtown, between Coliseum and imperial area: an ancient neighborhood full of nice shops and good places to eat. La taverna dei fori imperiali, in via della madonna dei monti, is one of the best.
    I'm out for easter now, writing on the phone, for any other advices feel absolutely free to contact me via pm here on OF: i'll be happy to help. Cheers guys, and happy easter!

Edited Apr 1, 2018
    JohnSteed likes this.
  12. man_on_moonwatch Apr 1, 2018

Be careful at huge holes in the streets !

161747922-2d6ae8c9-bd87-4165-bd94-8ce249497583.jpg 1518636657963_1518636674.jpg--balduina_e_la_grande_voragine_della_grande_bellezza__polito_a_noi_.jpg voragine.jpeg
    Spacefruit likes this.
  13. zinengineer Apr 1, 2018

We went to Italy 2 years ago and started in Rome; only spent two days before heading north to Tuscany so can't comment on dining. I do agree on visiting the Vatican, get there early and beware of the hawkers outside trying to sell tickets - it's like running the gauntlet to get through them and can be a bit annoying.

We toured the Vatican gardens; very nice but plan to walk some, both up and down hills. You can then go through the main tour route through the Vatican including the Sistine Chapel and St. Peters. I bought my tickets here https://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do?action=booking&codiceTipoVisita=3&step=2 - I'm hoping it's OK to post links....

I've also found Rick Steves guides fairly good. There are podcasts you can download and he will walk you through the Vatican (or Louvre, or any one of several other places). disclaimer; I've also heard people have major problems with RS, so YMMV

enjoy!!

Lucasssssss likes this.