Forums Latest Members
  1. Paedipod Jan 9, 2019

Hi all,

I am going to be going to Iceland in June, and given the world travelers here (or even someone who lives there), wanted to solicit suggestions and opinions about where to go and what to do. I will be there ~ 5days.

Best suggestion gets a reward.... 2cRZda+oQEycgKKSGiPEqA.jpg

2. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jan 9, 2019

You could press your nose against the window of the JS Watch Company and see if they'll take pity on you and let you in :D Also, read this ::puke::

3. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jan 9, 2019

Are you single?

upload_2019-1-9_8-32-56.png

TY613, haqq777, Atalien2005 and 8 others like this.
  4. JPE.88305 Jan 9, 2019

Best advice: stay away from Brennivin. You have to taste it, but don't go beyond that. Brought back a bottle and it ruined a few days of my life; now sits half empty on my shelf as a grim reminder.

The blue lagoon is touristy but a pleasant experience.
    Mostly stayed in Reykjavik having an 18mos old in tow, but lots of great food.
    Endless outdoor opportunities if you are able and go further North.
    Book your car in advance and be weary--some less than forthright companies out there.

5. zrleopold Jan 9, 2019

When I was there I actually just wandered in and talked to Gilbert and another watchmaker working there. They were super nice and let me try on all different pieces and even brought me into the back of the shop. Cool guys!

6. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 9, 2019

Gilbert is a top bloke. I like him so much I bought a Sif Nart last time I visited, probably the only one on here I would guess:

[​IMG]

7. 10mmauto Jan 9, 2019

My wife and I spent a few days in Iceland on the way home from a European trip we took. It certainly isn't the most exciting place, but it was well worth the stop and we'll stop over again if the opportunity arises. We stayed at the Hilton Nordica and bummed around Reykjavik for a couple of days. Food and sights were great. We took something called the Golden Circle Tour. It was arranged through the hotel and gave us a taste of what Iceland was like and gave us a chance to buy a few souvenirs.

GOLDEN CIRCLE AFTERNOON THE GEYSER ESPRESS: This tour includes the National Park Pingvellir, where the ancient parliament was established in 930 and a highly interesting geological area, the majestic waterfall Gullfoss and the mixed high-and low temperature area, containing a few spouting hot springs, Geysir, Strokkur and others. The crater, Kerid, is on the itinerary as we proceed to the horticultural community Hveragerdi, where the geothermal energy is widely exploited for the greenhouse cultivation of many kinds of vegetables, exotic fruits, and flowers.

Here's a shot of a waterfall and one I like of the stairwell in the Nordica:

DSCN1881.JPG IMG_0510.JPG

8. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 9, 2019

Not sure if they stock watches, apologies but this is really bad ::facepalm1::

fullsizeoutput_bec2.jpeg

Nathan1967 and Millenary Watches like this.
  9. Canuck Jan 9, 2019

Keep your return ticket open in case the ground shakes, and yet another volcano erupts. You may want to leave in a hurry!

10. MaiLollo Jan 9, 2019

One of my favorite trips of all time. Most beautiful nature you will see in Europe. I lost my pictures when I lost my phone in October, but you’ll find many trip advices that help you with planning.

Golden circle is a must, the southern coast is amazing (Vattenhorn beach especially, and the diamond beach which is the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen). Many volcanoes to see, Fjords are amazing, the list just goes on...
    My least favorite part was the northern east part, but it’s worth to do the whole tour (8 days).

citizenrich likes this.
  11. philh Jan 9, 2019

Well that should confuse the hell out of non UK members

Are you still getting over Hogmanay or is the deep dark winter north of the wall pushing you too far

12. MikeMan2727 Jan 9, 2019

One of the best experiences I had was a visit to Hveragerði and hike to Reykjadalur Hot Spring Thermal River.

The hike is a little over a mile and once you get the the river, you can swim in the hot springs as long as you like. It is also free unlike the Blue Lagoon. I wore my bathing suit under my snow gear and once I arrived I just removed my top clothes and jumped right in! They also have a wooden walkway and partitions to change once you arrive.

Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 4.41.07 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 4.41.38 PM.png

13. bubba48 Jan 9, 2019

Me too in June for an eight days trip around the isle. :thumbsup:

14. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jan 9, 2019

I'm even further north of the wall than Mr Beagle. No sign of snow so far this year and Hogmanay is but a distant memory ::bleh::

15. philh Jan 9, 2019

Not long till Burns night though

Alpha likes this.
  16. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 9, 2019

Hogmanay is but a distant memory and north of the wall is almost springlike so perfectly happy thank you :thumbsup:

For the keen of eye ;)
    Screenshot 2019-01-10 at 11.04.49.png

Edited Jan 10, 2019
  17. speedamatuer Jan 10, 2019

Jökulsárlón is incredible - also the fairly short hike to Svartivoss was really enjoyable, and the waterfall itself is incredible.

[​IMG]

18. KAP Jan 10, 2019

5 days... Here are some suggestions to consider:

- I would certainly include sites along the "Golden Circle" which includes Pingvellir National Park, Geysir Hot Springs, and Gullfoss. This can be done in a long day. Also the hot spring near Hveragerði (a "hot house" town growing veggies due to the geothermal conditions) mentioned by MikeMan2727 above is along the return route to Reykjavik, but you probably would want to make this a 2 day circle trip.
    - Reykjavik for 1 day, maybe up to 2 days depending on your interests.
    - Venturing further to the southeast, consider the Landmannalaugar area (rivers, mountains, hot springs, hiking) and Jokulsarlon (icebergs, glacier tongue, seals, birds, short lagoon cruise). On the way to Jokulsarlon is Vatnajokull National Park, Europe's largest icecap. Maybe stay overnights in Vik and/or Jokulsarlon.
    - If you are planning to hike and camp, then the options would look different.

I like the outdoors and smaller crowds. The Blue Lagoon is very expensive and has become increasingly crowded so was not of interest to me. You can get to many places on tour buses, however it will be on a tight schedule. I rented a car to enjoy staying longer at some sites and to take walks or to stop anywhere along the way to take a picture of steam vents, volcanic rock formations, ocean, etc.

Iceland is expensive. For lodging, AirB&B is a good option. Reserve well ahead of time for the best option of a place to stay and within your price range.

And what is a post without a few pictures.

Reykjavik:
    IMG_3274.JPG
    IMG_3232.JPG

Gullfoss:
    IMG_3190.JPG IMG_3192.JPG

Geysir:
    IMG_3134.JPG IMG_3120.JPG

Somewhere along the drive:
    IMG_3164.JPG IMG_3177.JPG IMG_3169.JPG

Alpha and citizenrich like this.
  19. Riviera Paradise Jan 10, 2019

Well guess where my avatar is from?:D

Spent a week with my wife and kids last of week of September 2013 and had a great time. Stayed a few days in Reykjavik (lovely flat) doing the Golden Circle tour and even a snowmobile ride on a glacier, and then moved to the superb Hotel Ranga as a base for some day trips in South Iceland.
    https://www.hotelranga.is/

We hired a lovely private tour guide Almar from http://www.isct.is who took us all over the place to volcanic springs, waterfalls, dog sledding etc,

A beautiful country with lovely, friendly polite people.:)

Some photos below for motivation:
    DSC00170.JPG DSC00188.JPG DSC00199.JPG DSC00216.JPG DSC00285.JPG DSC00316K.JPG DSC00316T.JPG DSC00423.JPG DSC00990.JPG DSC00997.JPG DSC01006.JPG DSC01085.JPG DSC01091.JPG DSC01094C.JPG DSC01231.JPG

20. WurstEver Jan 10, 2019

Riviera Paradise and Morseman like this.