Forums Latest Auctions Members

Headed to Barcelona tomorrow

1. alfanator

alfanator Sep 10, 2015

For a week, part work, part mini vacation with wife.

Whats cool to do?

I like swiss watches, cool antiques and interesting food.

Drawarms likes this.
  2. flyingout

flyingout Sep 11, 2015

Park Güell. Picasso Museum. As much Gaudí architecture as you can find. I haven't been since the late '80s so I can't help with watches or food, sorry.

Enjoy though. Lovely city. Keep your valuables close.

TexasKevin likes this.
  3. Mouse_at_Large

Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Sep 11, 2015

Been to Barcelona a couple of times recently. The highlights have been going to see Barcelona FC play at the Camp Nou :D A good way to see the city is to hop on one of the open top tour buses (weather permitting). However, always leave time for some cafe culture!

jose75 likes this.
  4. tpatta

tpatta Sep 11, 2015

Just got back last month. Agree with the above. Might add the FC Barcelona Museum is very cool. Barcelona has the best food in Spain hands down. Hope you like going to dinner at 10pm ;). A day trip to Montserrat is well worth it. If you haven't been to Barcelona before the Hop on Hop Off Bus that leaves from Placa Cataluyna is a great way to get an overview of the city. A couple of good vintage watch store on La Rambla. A little overpriced but willing to deal. The Spanish economy is worse than the US. Enjoy.

5. TLIGuy

TLIGuy Sep 11, 2015

If you love food La Boqueria food market off La Rambla is a must see and full blown taste bud experience. The obvious would be the Sagrada Familia and it should not be missed. I would advise the audio tour at a minimum to really get a good understanding of the changes in architectural styles over the years.

Port Vell along the water is a great evening walk and the restaurants along the waterfront are fantastic.

TexasKevin and tpatta like this.
  6. alam

alam Sep 11, 2015

Paella, Sangria, Tortilla Española, Jamón Serrano! ;)

jose75, TLIGuy and tpatta like this.
  7. tpatta

tpatta Sep 11, 2015

Tapas and Sangria

TLIGuy likes this.
  8. X350 XJR

X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 11, 2015

Sagrada Familia +1

I think there is a way to make reservations/purchase tickets in advance now, otherwise the lines are typically long.

Hop on hop off bus +1

If I recall correctly there are several different routes, take them all if time allows.

Sangria, sangria, sangria, they all seem to be a bit different.

Enjoy!

9. tpatta

tpatta Sep 11, 2015

Don't forget the Fort. Best view of Barcelona. Reservations for Sagrada Familia are a must. Easy to do before you go or when you get there. The interior is finally finished and it's stunning.

10. TLIGuy

TLIGuy Sep 11, 2015

O' Yes...Forgot about the Fort. What a view!

11. TexasKevin

TexasKevin Sep 11, 2015

I'll second Park Guell, the Gothic Quarter is cool. The Olympic Village is kind of neat too.

tpatta likes this.
  12. Slipstreamer

Slipstreamer Sep 12, 2015

If you go early you may be able to get seats at "Tickets" restaurant owned by Albert & Ferran Adria. Ferran is considered by famous chefs to be the best chef in the world. If you would like to experience the best in molecular gastronomy, this is it. Was there last year and plan to go back to that restaurant next year. Spain is our favorite European country. We try at go there once a year if possible even for only a few days as a side trip.

13. guelerct

guelerct Sep 12, 2015

La Sagrada Familia and Picasso museum
    Then get drunk on Ramblas

14. guelerct

guelerct Sep 12, 2015

Dinner at Botufumeiro too

Drawarms likes this.
  15. RawArcher

RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Sep 12, 2015

Fundacio Tapies Museum! A museum dedicated to one of the greatest Spanish painters of all time and one of my favorites (of any country) -- Antoni Tapies! You will not be disappointed!

16. Noles_88

Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Sep 12, 2015

If you like history. You have to see virgen de montserrat. Very beautiful.

17. Drawarms

Drawarms Sep 12, 2015

THIS!!! and the paella negra there is amazing and the langostinos are to die for.

hop on hop off bus is a great quick way to see the city, you can get off infront of camp nu and check out the stadium and do the tour!
    beach at the W Hotel and massage on the rooftop
    go check out las ramblas (street) and just walk it, lots of cool shops off on the ally ways

just don't keep anything in your back pocket and don't show and flashy jewelery. I never felt threatened there and been their twice now, but its always important to keep an eye out.

18. Drawarms

Drawarms Sep 12, 2015

oh and drink lots of cava!

19. X350 XJR

X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 12, 2015

Miro Museum.

20. Mouse_at_Large

Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Sep 12, 2015

And prepare to suspend conventional ideas about art. Miro's stuff is weird ::bleh::

Edited Sep 12, 2015
    tpatta likes this.