Forums Latest Members
  1. ulackfocus Aug 10, 2011

What a day this was! Here's the cliff notes version:
    • Traded in my Blancpain Villeret for an IWC Portofino - and walked out with a check for $1550 plus the IWC.
    • Got in the car to see a voicemail from a gold scrapper who wanted to sell me a vintage Omega - the guy is only a few miles from where the dealer who I just left is.
    • Cashed the check, drove through heavy traffic.
    • Bought myself a SWEET 1946 Centenary caliber 30.10 bumper reference 2500 in 18ct.
    • Still had a good chunk of change left over to put towards a nice vintage Genève caliber 267 next week.
    Yes, I know - pics or it didn't happen so here they are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm putting today in the "win" column. :)

ralpher, michael e, t_swiss_t and 4 others like this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 10, 2011

Break out the Polywatch and buff that Omega crystal. Then let's see the after!:)

That is one sweet Centenary, I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't at least a little bit envious.:rolleyes:

Wear both of them in good health,
    gatorcpa

3. Trev The Architect Staff Member Aug 10, 2011

The IWC dial looks great in the sun. Classy. What are you plans for the Centenary?

4. ulackfocus Aug 10, 2011

Thanks guys! The Centenary crystal is too far gone for polywatch, it needs to be replaced. The dial looks to be in very good shape, with only one area around the 9:00 marker that might need some help - but that's for my watchmaker to take care of. It'll go to him as soon as he finishes up the current batch of 3 Longines and 3 Omegas. As for my plans, it's the same old same old: wear it 'til I tire of it, then flip it for something different. ;) That could be 6 months or 3 years.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 10, 2011

Damn... that's a nice looking piece, kind of makes me a bit sick to think about how many 18k Omega and Rolex vintage watches could be on the way to the furnace with gold peaking above $1,700. I know a family friend that sent his GMT-Master which would have been a 1675/8 along with a minty Day-Date to the scrappers in the very early 1980s when gold hit a peak thinking the watches were only going to depreciate due to Quartz taking over. Nobody has ever been able to melt a good quality brand watch and come out ahead several years later :mad:

6. ulackfocus Aug 11, 2011

Ashley, I gave my business card with my personal cell number on the back to most of the We Buy Gold and other scrappers in my area. No good watch should be cremated! My first vintage JLC was bought for a few bucks above scrap value and restored at Le Sentier. The seller said if he didn't get $350 for it he was going to melt it. SOLD!

In case you were wondering, here's what a mint ref 2500 looks like:

[​IMG]

The owner gave me permission to use this photo and I have to share it. He has some STUNNING vintage Omegas. :thumbsup:

ralpher and milwatch126 like this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 11, 2011

Wow, hope the owner finds his way here it'd be good to see some more of them.

8. ConElPueblo Jun 28, 2016

This piece of thread-necromancy is for the benefit of the new members here - you should REALLY have a go at looking through the immense archive here.

Well, did the owner ever find his way here???

;)

Although the odd 2012-estimate on Speedmasters may make you weep a little, there are no end to the number of cool threads to read! It's summer, what else have you got to do?? :p

9. Vitezi Jun 28, 2016

10. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 28, 2016

I am the owner ;) - this was before Ash invited me to the forum.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 28, 2016

I was about to call Dennis and yell at him for being out and about :eek:, :p:p:p

12. ConElPueblo Jun 28, 2016

Indeed - your style of photography lets the game away easily, as does the quality of the subjects! :thumbsup:

13. ulackfocus Jun 28, 2016

I can't believe this happened 5 years ago. :eek: 5 years. 5 f-ing years!!!!