Forums Latest Members

He Sent a Broken Watch to a Watchmaker - What Happened Next Will Shock You

1. ConElPueblo Nov 13, 2018

I have to warn against ever getting your watch looked after by @ChrisN, who runs his watchmaker shop under the name CJNWatch.co.uk.

As I am about to receive my Yema Superman - a real basket case if there ever was one - which he has brought back to life for me, I read through the fifty-eight page service report (!!) he has made for me and I realise how little money that poor man must make from working on wristwatches. Honestly, he would be much better off finding a proper job instead of working on cruddy old watches.

He has been

- Sourcing donor movement (finding two possible options, advising which way to go).
    - Sourced parts (saved me from buying an expensive "Yema" crown!).
    - Touched up a ruined bezel inlay.
    - Long-term tested the watch for fourteen days.
    - Supplied a ridiculously detailed service report, noting what types of movement oil was used, the time spent going through the cycles of the cleaning machine, close-ups of the important nuances of the work, etc.
    - Continuously supplied me with updates on how things were faring, asking which way I wanted to take the repairs, always offering sound advice along the way.

The meagre cost of the repairs can in no way put dinner on his table, so I beg of you honoured members of Omegaforums.net, do NOT send your watches to Chris! Help him get a real job to support himself by, as he will surely work himself to ruin if he keeps on doing such tremendous work.

:)

Here are a few links showing what was done on the Yema:

https://cjnwatch.co.uk/wp/2018/10/27/yema-superman-part-1/
    https://cjnwatch.co.uk/wp/2018/11/10/yema-superman-part-2/

2. maanu Nov 13, 2018

Amazing work. I can't believe they are the same watch.

JohnSteed and staristheanswer like this.
  3. WatchVaultNYC Nov 13, 2018

Maybe some sort of adjustment is needed on the title - some members may not see the humor/irony in the title and take it face value?

Syrte, aap, Jimbo555 and 17 others like this.
  4. Shabbaz Nov 13, 2018

Very nice indeed...

5. mancio Nov 13, 2018

Yes, i was actually one of them who miss that till read everything....

sdre, watch3s, Foo2rama and 2 others like this.
  6. Hijak Nov 13, 2018

Agreed!

Foo2rama, Huus and mancio like this.
  7. rfordo Nov 13, 2018

I did the same. Came for some juicy beef and only got a nicely repaired watch :(

8. pault8084 Nov 13, 2018

Looks like it was worth every penny!

9. ConElPueblo Nov 13, 2018

Meh, it'll only be the Americans who miss the sarcasm and they probably won't use a UK watchmaker anyway :D

63TR4, albertob, Dre and 31 others like this.
  10. wristpirate Nov 13, 2018

Nice work. Yes please consider changing the title here as I'm sure a chunk of people won't read the whole post and it could give Chris a negative rep.

superfly likes this.
  11. Hijak Nov 13, 2018

Not really sure how anyone could read any “sarcasm” from that title! Somewhat unfair to Chris, one of the most respected members of this forum. Many new members who don’t know Chris may just read title and misjudge!

12. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 13, 2018

Fantastic results on the watch! I'm surprised you even bought it in that original state!

But I would also vote for an edit to the title (if voting on subject lines is a thing). The subject line will show up in google search results without much of the content and I could see a lot of people just skimming results not actually reading reviews (guilty, sometimes).

For the record, I spotted the sarcasm immediately because I know (of) Chris and his work and knew there was no way a bad review was for real.

superfly and marco like this.
  13. Wuza72 Nov 13, 2018

Nope, the same for me, and i´m from Germany ;)

Rochete, superfly, turbo_muc and 2 others like this.
  14. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Nov 13, 2018

We Americans are a humorless and pragmatic folk who like to have our watches repaired in a timely fashion. You would have to torture us to get this sort of information about the watchmakers we like.

Dre, RawArcher, bvertz and 10 others like this.
  15. mancio Nov 13, 2018

Nope, i'm italian. And we are quite sarcastic Mother****ers:D:D:D

superfly and Fritz like this.
  16. ConElPueblo Nov 13, 2018

Got you to read the thread, right? So what do you think of the work he does now? Would you consider choosing him to work on a watch in the future?

gdupree and Longbow like this.
  17. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Nov 13, 2018

#clickbait

18. gostang9 Nov 13, 2018

I’m Canadian, and had no trouble picking up what you were doing... ;)

The click bait worked, but would also have worked without the explicit instruction to “do not use”. I think removing that action would still be click-bait’y enough without actually confusing people who don’t bother to read the thread...

Archer and superfly like this.
  19. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 13, 2018

20. ICONO Nov 13, 2018

I am tempted to ask, …If you would be so sanguine,…were the thread title to read :

WARNING: Do not buy from ConElPueblo

Followed by a glowing reference ?

Especially remembering that a Google search will just seize the thread title…rather than context ?

Syrte, albertob, Hijak and 10 others like this.