Forums Latest Members

Hazing Into Vintage Watches

1. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Dec 26, 2016

Yes you read that correctly.

So I initially found this forum while trying to learn more about my grandfathers Connie and was looking to get it serviced for my dad. Fast forward 4ish months and I'm on this site daily and love every second of it.

Well today was the day that I gave it to him. He was very happy and intrigued as I told him about the different styles of Constellations (pie pan, C case, f300 etc.)

So my question is... do you think it is possible to haze someone into liking vintage watches? I ask this for the obvious reason; if he gets into watches and buys more I can totally borrow them::stirthepot::.

So I did what any good son would do and sent him the links to a bunch of vintage watch IG accounts.

So now we wait and see if it worked::popcorn::

2. MPWATCH Watch Lover Dec 26, 2016

I find collectors usually gravitate toward a specific type of craftsmanship involved in a collectable. In other words, mechanical minded collectors are going to have the capacity to appreciate watches....and cars, and guns. Why you may ask? Because all three heavily depend on proper mechanic execution to ensure the products functionality.

High light the aspect of vintage collecting that satisfies your grandfathers true passions. History, mechanics, values, production, or rarities. Should be an easy sell...

Best,

Thomas

Edward53 and Jwit like this.
  3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 26, 2016

I've made my sacrifices to the Watch God's. You know who you are....

Yes, totally possible to bring someone to the dark side.

oldskool and Jwit like this.
  4. ConElPueblo Dec 27, 2016

You risk getting him interested in grandfather clocks and then inheriting them at some point :D

Jwit, Larry S and Edward53 like this.