Forums Latest Members
  1. pdrsm Apr 3, 2018

Dear watch fellas,

I want to have my vintage hesalite Speedy Pro serviced, but I would like to keep it "as original as possible."

I've reached an authorized Omega Service center, and they informed me that, besides verifying the movement, they would have to replace overall watch sealing items, such as crown and crystal. They also told me that maybe they could keep the original hands, as I've asked them to do it.

I'm a rookie on maintaining vintage watches, so I would like to ask you some questions:

• Is it possible to service it and keep the original crystal and crown? If not, do my watch will lose its “vintage value" in the future? (please note that I don't want to sell it or flip it)

• Is it worth it to have it repaired at an authorized service center?

Also, feel free to give me more tips / orientation about it.

FYI, it's a 1998 "T Swiss T" caliber 1861 Speedy Pro. I bought it last year with a certificate, but I don't know if it was ever serviced.

Sorry for any "dumb questions"... I'm a rookie on this subject

Because every post is better with pictures... Here it is on an Omega NATO strap!

Teste.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Etp095 and Foo2rama like this.
  2. abrod520 Apr 3, 2018

It's definitely a good idea to keep it as original as possible, but besides the dial and hands, most of the parts should be more or less the same since there haven't been any major updates to the standard Speedmaster Professional since your watch was produced.
    (@Archer can keep me honest here with any details)

Seals should be replaced, there's no value in keeping original seals since they're consumables. Crystals aren't a major factor in value either, but if your crystal is good enough and it seals well enough, then you can keep it if you like. No harm in replacing it though.

gdupree and Foo2rama like this.