Forums Latest Members

Haveston NATO strap mini-review

1. R3D9 May 23, 2017

I recently stumbled across a new company from the U.K. that produces higher-end NATO straps and I thought the members of the forum might be interested in having a first-impressions look.

The company is Haveston and I recently ordered one each of the two NATO straps they presently offer for sale. Spoiler alert: I've been blown away by the quality.

The experience starts out the way I like it, with clear evidence of the company's attention to small details. Inside the standard post office envelope rested two tins, wrapped in craft paper and tied with string. Opening the wrapping revealed the tins to look like this:

IMG_1271.JPG

The overall presentation is impressive. Haveston clearly understands the importance of presentation in the same way that Apple does: a great product can be elevated higher by making the overall ownership experience a delightful one right from the start.

Opening up the tin revealed a note, personally signed by the owner, and the strap, wrapped like so:

IMG_1272.JPG

Then comes the best part... the straps themselves, which more than lived up to the expectations set up by the presentation.

IMG_1273.JPG

IMG_1274.JPG

IMG_1277.JPG

I've tried hard to love NATO straps - I own dozens - but thus far they've never resonated with me and I think it's primarily because of the placement of the buckle when worn. I've always found generic NATO straps look a bit off due to the buckle sitting to the side of the wearer's wrist, rather than the bottom as with a normal strap.

IMG_1275.JPG

IMG_1279.JPG

The Haveston straps solve this issue with aplomb... they're designed so that the buckle rests comfortably at the bottom of your wrist when worn. The material is also thick and rigid enough that the strap sort of rests against your wrist, rather than cutting into your skin as do other, thinner NATO straps.

IMG_1276.JPG

IMG_1278.JPG

The strap length is such that there is no need to perform the usual fold and tuck manoeuvre to hide away the long end of the strap... it sits in the keeper, which slides up and down, as would a standard leather strap... nice!

IMG_1282.JPG

The strap's hardware feels solid and the buckle has a nice shape to it and is signed with a short form of the company's logo.

I cannot speak to the toughness of the straps as I've only just received them, but the the stitching looks good and the thickness and quality feel of the material makes me confident the straps will hold up well over time.

At present, the company only offers the two colours you see here, but their site indicates at least one more design is in the works.

The straps are not cheap, but then the quality is high, so I'm more than pleased with the purchase and plan on being a repeat customer. Highly recommended.

IMG_1283.JPG

IMG_1284.JPG

Edited May 23, 2017
    wsfarrell, Wivac, Perseus and 6 others like this.
  2. Perseus May 23, 2017

With the thicker stitching on the sides it looks very similar to Timefactors but with more attractive hardware.

3. R3D9 May 23, 2017

I haven't handled Timefactors straps before, but from what I've seen of them online, I'd say the quality of the strap material looks comparable.

It's the way that these straps wear more like a conventional, non-NATO strap that appeals to me most.

I must confess, my experience with NATO straps is limited to lower-priced versions, with the only high-end strap that I own being the Omega variant that came with my Speedy Pro.

I've heard good things about Phenomenato as well...

4. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. May 23, 2017

Straps look great!

BenjaminT and R3D9 like this.
  5. R3D9 May 24, 2017

Quick update... Alex the owner tells me a number of new styles are in the works - I'm very interested to see what comes next!

6. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise May 25, 2017

we'd definitely need few more colors than just the two they have now (*cough* BLACK *cough*), but a very promising start indeed! :thumbsup:

Edited May 31, 2017
  7. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool May 25, 2017

Great review. If they make one in Admiralty Grey and Olive/Army Green they will have me as a costumer

8. duc May 25, 2017

Nice write up.

For what they look like, the price is very reasonable. I particularly appreciate the buckle placement and the fact you don't have to fold under the excess material.

They look like real winners to me.

9. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF May 31, 2017

Thanks for this write up! I've been following them waiting for other colors/styles. I am a very tactile person, so the cheap NATOs really bother my wrist when they rub too rough. So I've been hunting for softer stuff. (Have a ToxicN8Os ShizNit on the way).

Looking forward to seeing the new designs

10. blubarb Nov 2, 2018

Nice. Thanks for taking the time to write this up. Looking at getting one or two myself now. :thumbsup:

11. Wivac Terribly special Nov 2, 2018

Awesome! I've been on the hunt for more local straps, will give these folks a go.
    [Edit] Holy thread bump Batman

tritto likes this.
  12. ras47 Nov 4, 2018

Dang, no 21mm straps. :mad:
    This strap looks ideal - centered bottom buckle, and no bulk at the top of the watch. This would be right in my wheelhouse for my co-axial Speedmaster if they made a 21mm version. I have emailed them to see if anything in 21mm is in the offing.

13. Skrv Nov 4, 2018

Bought their Parade Black no 1 a while back. Great quality strap and the only one that fits the Rolex DJ Because of its thinness. Looking to order the canvas for the speedy pro.