Forums Latest Members
  1. rmcd Mar 11, 2017

Hi there.

Many thanks for the help and pointers in my previous posts.

I bought this because I love the look. And I am getting older - so I like that I can actually read it. But the dial doesn't look like what I expect an Omega to look like. My watch repair guy (new best friend) and I both think that it's original just because of the quality and sharpness. But I thought I would post here to ask if anyone has seen another one like it? Maybe it is a redial. If it is, I think it's pretty good and I like it.

1012 Face.JPG
    Just for completeness. Here is the inside, back and reverse. I bought it in October in Zurich. Yeah - I know. I still haven't removed the stickers even though I've worn it half the time. Amplitude, rate, etc are all good according to my new bff. It might have been recently serviced.

1012 Inside.JPG
    1012 Back.JPG

IMG_0115_resize.jpg4.JPG

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 11, 2017

Yes, on Genèves but never on a Seamaster.

And the reference of 166.0203 does not match that model of Seamaster.

But who cares, it's a nice looking dial and if you like it (and I do too) that's all that matters.

Lonestar, Vitezi and Foo2rama like this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 11, 2017

4. rmcd Mar 11, 2017

Thank you ! I hadn't known to look for that font name Breguet and I wasn't looking at all at Genèves models. I'm a little nervous that you've never seen it on a Seamaster. And the case number is a concern. But, as said, I like it regardless. Thanks for the links !

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 11, 2017

Lonestar and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 11, 2017

I didn't think it was correct for the OPs Seamaster due to the size of the lugs, the OVDB Seamaster has hidden lugs.

If I could see a shot of the complete watch to compare to the reference it would answer my question.

OVDB:

Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 2.16.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 2.16.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 2.16.40 PM.png
  7. Ravineman Mar 11, 2017

no expert here but that's really beautiful. Great photo too, the dial is so crisp and clean it looks like it was just painted !

8. rmcd Mar 11, 2017

Thanks for finding that reference. I didn't find it because I "filtered" using the date from the serial number. It's a 38M which says that's it's from 1974 whereas the data above says 1978. Is that possible?

Photos of the overall watch are below. I think the case looks a lot like the one above from the data base. But the dial is so different.

1012 Full-resize.JPG

1012 Oblique-resize.JPG

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 11, 2017

My mistake, in your original pics I thought you had full lugs. That case looks perfectly fine for that reference.

While the case and movement for a reference were consistent, dials and hand-sets varied greatly and there was no single style of dial (generally).

The serial number of the movement is when the movement was made, not when the actual watch was made.
    Sometimes the number can be used to date a watch to within a year or so, other times it may be a few years off. Your serial No is almost 39M which would place in very late 1974 or so. The movement may have been in stock for some time before the watch was produced.

The only way to tell the whole story is to request an Extract Of The Archives from Omega, all your questions will then be answered.

I think it's a very nice clean example with an unusual dial.

Edited Mar 11, 2017
  10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 11, 2017

11. rmcd Mar 12, 2017

Jim. Thanks for the link. I didn't know about that site and just spent *another* evening reading blogs and other good stuff on the site. Interesting that he lists the 166.0203 but with 100x calibers. Not the later 1012 that I have. As you say, variations abound.

As for the Extract of the Archives. Another "thank you" is in order. At the very least for providing me with another way to spend my money. But I think I'll hold on that one and simply enjoy the watch. It's good to know that such a service exists.

Thanks again for all your responses and great ideas.

Cheers

12. rmcd Mar 12, 2017

Thank you. I'd like to say that I used a pro level dslr with fancy lighting but - alas - it was simply my Canon Point and Shoot with daylight on a piece of paper towel to give it a neutral colour cast. I really wanted the crispness of dial printing come through. As you can tell, I love it.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 13, 2017

Omega Extranet shows the case is used for the Cal. 1012, so it's fine for that movement to be in that case. Your dial is completely fine also and it's not a redial.

It might have been - that dial is still available from Omega brand new...

Cheers, Al

Lonestar likes this.
  14. rmcd Mar 13, 2017

Thank you Al. Maybe it is new.

15. kkt Mar 13, 2017

Handsome watch! Yes, it is not that unusual for the production date to be several years later than the movement serial number would indicate. This was not "just in time" manufacturing :)