Forums Latest Members

have you ever ... ahem ... LOST a watch?

1. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jul 24, 2016

I mean ... like "I have no idea where I put that damn GMT watch and looked all over the house and cant even blame the kids on that mess"?

::facepalm1::

(I am asking for a friend, of course :D )

stories?

superfly and jsaen like this.
  2. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Jul 24, 2016

what kind of a GMT watch? :(

3. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Jul 24, 2016

I had a early 70's longines diver ... Lost it some where in the pacific diving last year off Maui ....
    Was a hummer too...

superfly likes this.
  4. bvertz Jul 24, 2016

My great grandfather gave me a gold Hamilton when I started high school (probably a Brock or similar tank). He had received it as a retirement gift but it was not engraved. My parents insisted on holding it for me while I sowed my wild oats in college. My junior year, I got the news:

My mom had been wearing it on a gold Spiedel stretch band. One day she realized she had left it at a tanning salon. When she visited the next day, the attendant said no one had turned it in. Then she noticed the cashier wearing it. When she confronted her, the cashier claimed it had been in her family for years.

At least, that's how my parents explained the loss. And why I started to collect watches.

Waltesefalcon and superfly like this.
  5. bvertz Jul 24, 2016

Now wondering where I put the Schaefer fountain pen he gave me for graduation. :eek:

superfly likes this.
  6. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jul 25, 2016

Confession time, I lose things on a daily basis although so far no watches just the bits and pieces I want to keep safe.
    They end up really safe, I just can't remember where they are. ::facepalm2::

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 25, 2016

Deal with large ships in port daily and can lose a pen or two a day to captains if I am not on the ball
    ( they have to sign several documents and never have a pen :mad: )

superfly likes this.
  8. Mad Cow Jul 25, 2016

I have never losed a watch but have losed my mind on watches!:taunt:

Gefa, superfly, blubarb and 1 other person like this.
  9. Euxinus Jul 25, 2016

I have misplaced a watch once. In my first year of university me and my roommates figured we should host a party at our apartment since all of the ones in the forms where so crowded. We had about 80 people over, and after I had consumed a 40 ounce bottle of whiskey I figured it was no longer a good idea to have my seamaster on because I would probably smash it / drop It or something. At least I was thinking straight. I went to my room to take of the seamaster and threw on an orient, but decided I should hide the seamaster well and not just have it laying on my dresser since there was a bunch of people I did not know in my apartment. I hid it in the middle of a stack of used paper I had done calculus problems on, in the corner of my room thinking no one would look through a bunch of garbage hoping to find valuables.

The next morning I had no idea where I had hid the watch, I was not even sure if I hid it or what happened. I had to flip my whole apartment upside down in a frenzy to find it!

Moral of the story is take the nice watch and throw on the beater BEFORE you plan on drinking too much.

superfly, ahartfie and gemini4 like this.
  10. ConElPueblo Jul 25, 2016

I lost my Speedmaster FOIS and only found it after 5 months... ::facepalm2::

11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 25, 2016

Do tell.......

12. ConElPueblo Jul 25, 2016

Renovating our house, living rather spartanly/chaotic. Had tucked away the Speedmaster one evening before going to bed (mattress on the floor) and wore a different watch the days after. Realised it had gone missing after some time, but couldn't locate it. Only found it a long time after, apparently I had wrapped it in some tissue paper to protect it from the building dust and then put it in a pocket in my toiletry bag. Which I had then brought with me to work, which was where I found it. Was rather relieved!

13. RegF Jul 25, 2016

I've lost two in my childhood before I knew enough to understand what had happened.

My grandfather gave me an old 1960's era Waltham when I was a kid, which I treasured and abused on a daily basis. At that time my parents moved house a lot and it disappeared somewhere. never knew where. not too long ago I found a model on the 'Bay that was as close as I could remeber it being

In my early teens my Dad gave me one of the very first generation LED digital watches. It ate batteries at a prodigious rate. t got put away when LCD came about as the ne wonder technology. It too fell prey to the dread house-moving gremlins. I haven't replaced it yet

superfly likes this.
  14. Spy You know my name. Jul 25, 2016

Fortunately, I have never lost a watch and hope it will never happen. But I once took off my watch because it was easier to put on a particular pair of cufflinks without the watch on my wrist. Well, I got distracted and forgot to put the watch back on. I only noticed I did not have it when I arrived at the office. Let's just say, my day was ruined.

superfly, Vitezi and Euxinus like this.
  15. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 25, 2016

My younger son was just walking when he swiped my Rolex Datejust off of my night table. Looked everywhere, trying to think where a 1 year old would hide it. I asked him and just got baby babble as a response.

Checked his big toy chest 2 times but not well enough. 6 months later, at the bottom of his toy chest it was.

Flash forward, today he is a 26 year old financial guy who still likes nice watches. And still takes them from his father. Only difference is the watches now disappear permanently.

16. micampe Jul 25, 2016

I lost my precious first Swatch jumping off a bridge into the river. Broken buckle I guess.

superfly likes this.
  17. repoman Jul 25, 2016

Many years ago I lost a Hamilton that I wore daily. After a week or two looking I gave up and moved on. It was at least 2 years later that I found it, and it was like buying a new watch, it was awesome.

I have personal articles insurance policy for my watches now, which includes "mysterious disappearance". :D

superfly likes this.
  18. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Jul 25, 2016

I did almost throw out a 2913-3 last year Good thing I shook the box before chucking it down the refuge room

19. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jul 25, 2016

YIKES :eek:!!

Baz9614 likes this.
  20. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jul 25, 2016

I'm looking forward to this happening when I finally find my Ball (now I only have one :confused:") Moonphase. I had it just a few weeks ago, set the moon, yada, yada... then... poof! ::confused2::
    Photo Jul 31, 2 40 24 PM.jpg

It must be somewhere in the house... unless the housekeepers... :cautious:... naw, I leave watches all over the house sometimes when they're here: JLC, Omega, Rolex... and they take a BALL? Me thinks not...

It will be like a mini-Christmas when it finally shows up...

Edited Jul 25, 2016
    superfly likes this.