Forums Latest Members

Have you delayed any watch purchases due to the pandemic?

1. superi4n Aug 10, 2020

I was very set on picking up something this year but I've been pushing it out since our region hasn't gotten a handle on the spread and the future is super dynamic right now. Anyone else?

Dsloan likes this.
  2. Dsloan Aug 10, 2020

Yep! I'm definitely on hold until I see how all this shakes out. I think my job is secure, but who knows! Though, I did buy a fun/cheap Bulova reissue to tide me over (and endure the rigors of at-home-daycare).

IMG_20200728_103407.jpg

Edited Aug 10, 2020
    rbob99, janice&fred and Shabbaz like this.
  3. janice&fred Aug 10, 2020

You too huh? Ah it's all good and our kids will have great memories since we are spending much more time with them.

Anyways re-the topic I have found myself in the opposite situation with this pandemic. I have been buying watches like the Russians just landed in NJ. Seems people in my neck of the woods are spending more time at home and doing cleaning/organizing and looking to get rid of old watches. The pawn shops are skimping on their offered prices so I am snatching them up. Getting to the point where I'm going to have to start selling the redundant stuff off or soon there will be no more money for watch treasure hunting. :D

ChiefMark likes this.
  4. OmegaP99 Aug 10, 2020

I'm also in a buying mindset. Picked up my MKII recently and keep watching the auction sites. I tend to follow the mantra of buy low, sell high... minus the selling part. :p
    Art and other non-necessities take a value hit during recessions so I pick them up and sit on them until values come back up. With watches however it tends to be more buying for the personal collection since Im a cheap ass and have to pay the low side of market to feel good about it. I think we are seeing only the beginning of more pieces coming to market as people work to free up finances.

5. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Aug 10, 2020

Buying yes but only vintage n.o.s. pieces of the lesser appreciated brands and therefore lower prices :)

janice&fred likes this.
  6. Walrus Aug 10, 2020

I haven’t but it’s just been a time thing. I have been getting first responder pay but just found out it ends 16Aug. I was thinking it would last a little longer but we met state guidelines to cut it back. The weird thing is nothing changes with precautions or any interactions with people, everything remains the same, and if they aren’t followed to the T one can be terminated yet the pay is taken away. I only mention that as I got up on money needed for some home improvement etc and was thinking perhaps now I could use it towards a “luxury item”. So much for that plan. Easy come easy go.

I’m still having a mental thing going on. Currently I’ve been hooking people up with food banks and rental assistance and I’m really questioning how important is it for me to get a watch. I just notice I’m stuck in that mind frame and can’t shake it. It will probably pass, I still love looking at WRUW thread and see what people are getting. I’m pleased one someone posts a watch they just got they are happy about. I’m not trashing material stuff just going through a thing I guess. All things must pass as a great man once said.

7. OmegaRody Aug 10, 2020

On hold right now. Theres also Rolex prices going up.

8. OmegaP99 Aug 10, 2020

There's nothing wrong with trusting your gut, and that might be just what this is. "Disposable income" today could quickly become needed funds tomorrow.

Dsloan and SpikiSpikester like this.
  9. Traveler Aug 10, 2020

Went the opposite way - after swearing I would consolidate further in 2020, too much time at home, looking at the interwebs, meant I’m up 5 so far this year

janice&fred likes this.
  10. janice&fred Aug 10, 2020

5? lightweight :D

11. Ninja2789 Aug 10, 2020

what a causal right?

in seriousness, I do think i've become more picky and less willing to accept subpar vintage examples. additionally, i'm no longer as "motivated" to seek out ADs to get hard to find watches.

all of this to say this is my way of trying to push out purchases. but watch me buy 2 watches next week and make myself a liar.

janice&fred likes this.
  12. janice&fred Aug 10, 2020

My Man!

13. janice&fred Aug 10, 2020

I keep coming back to this thread and peeking at Sloan's Snorkel, and I think I have convinced myself I need one. Would that be considered off-topic or just contrary to the spirit of the OP's theme? :D

Dsloan likes this.
  14. Evitzee Aug 10, 2020

I bought one watch this year and sold three, that was in line with plans. I'm retired so no real decrease in income. AMZN. AAPL and MSFT stocks have done well so far.

Edited Aug 10, 2020
    Dsloan likes this.
  15. Dsloan Aug 10, 2020

Get out there and stimulate the economy!

janice&fred likes this.
  16. Dor_42 Aug 11, 2020

Yes and no, I was planing to get a Speedy for my 30th birthday (which was back in March) and then Covid-19 hit.
    My wife is on a no pay leave and we still have the mortgage payments, daycare payment, etc.
    Luckily the company I work for is in the mobile gaming business which is thriving right now, so with my job security being high and with a very comfortable loan from my Dad (only to give me the breathing space, not because I did not have the $$$$) I pulled the trigger.
    I also managed to get a hefty discount from an AD and I feel like the timing was right with the new model possibly coming out soon(?) and raising the price on a new Speedy.
    So delayed, but only slightly.

17. pongster Aug 11, 2020

what did you wanna get?

18. pongster Aug 11, 2020

My attitude similar to fred. The pandemic forced me to accelerate my watch plans. Life too short. That’s lesson pandemic taught me. So wanted to experience all those i wanted to experience before the world ends.

janice&fred likes this.
  19. buramu Aug 11, 2020

I’m actually picking up the Speedy Pro this year (my first luxury segment watch). I reckon this will be a year I’ll never forget and at least I’ll get something positive out of it to remember.

OmegaP99 likes this.
  20. krogerfoot Aug 11, 2020

I've bought a couple of cheap, (deservedly) unloved pieces just to entertain myself. My always-dubious nest-egg plan was to unload my small collection of vintage watches and guitars and music gear, figuring I could get $25K to $35K in cash together in a few months if need be. I did not foresee Japan suspending international express mail service to most of the world, to the point that sending a sheet of paper to the US would cost $100. Quite a bit of my work is set to dry up over the next few months so I'm not going to be buying much of anything. Of course, no reason I can't unload possessions here in Japan—with CITES, it's actually an easier proposition not to export guitars with rosewood components anyway.

janice&fred likes this.