Forums Latest Members

Have you called someone out on their fake watch?

1. leetse2 May 17, 2016

I was in a business meeting today and noticed my client was wearing a watch with the Patek Philippe deployant clasp. At first I thought that was pretty cool and I could connect with him by asking about his watch. But then I got a closer look at the dial and I saw something similar to the watch below. Pretty obvious fake. I ended up not saying anything to him. What would you have done?

image.jpeg

2. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise May 17, 2016

how important is the business relationship you have with that person? :)

i20rider, chronos, lando and 3 others like this.
  3. travisrock May 17, 2016

I don't think i'd do it in a business scenario, as I feel like that's a metaphorical equivalent of pissing in someone's cornflakes first thing in the morning- however, if it were in a social setting, I don't think I'd have a problem with it, especially if the person was acting like a pompous ass. :thumbsup:

OMGRLX likes this.
  4. redpcar May 17, 2016

Client/Customer? Never.
    Co-worker? Never.
    Family member? Never.
    Friend? Sometimes.
    Only if they ask me if it's real do I even mention anything.

SpikiSpikester and OMGRLX like this.
  5. ulackfocus May 17, 2016

Why bother outing them? Nothing good can come of it..... unless you and the guy are competing for the temporary affections of some hot chic in a bar.

On the other hand, ripping it off his wrist, tossing it in the air, and shooting it 3 or 4 times with your revolver as it falls (like in those great old Westerns) would certainly make a statement........ especially if it were in the company meeting room.

6. Canuck May 17, 2016

Now, if he had told me he found it, and asked my opinion on the thing................! That's the colour of another horse!

OMGRLX likes this.
  7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 17, 2016

c'mon guys. that's not a fake. your client has very good taste.

OMGRLX likes this.
  8. Canuck May 17, 2016

Yeah! Sure!

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 17, 2016

At work having a smoke outside the head honcho from Canberra (who is trying to get us to sign a not so good for workers pay deal) had a Brietling on so i commented on it. Its a good fake one from Hong Kong cost $100 conversation slowed and was at that time my fiancee shoved her real one she was wearing towards him with a “hears a real one for you“
    Golden moment.......

10. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 17, 2016

I'd suggest you report him. Clear breach of the APS code! Not to mention illegal to import!

travisrock likes this.
  11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 17, 2016

Surprised it didnt come out of THE infamous plastic bag that goes around Canberra

12. ConElPueblo May 17, 2016

...I once called out my uncle on his fake Rolex ::facepalm2::

13. micampe May 18, 2016

I told a friend the IWC Mark XII someone gave him was not real, at his request, and still felt bad doing it. In hindsight I should have just said I don’t know.

on+time likes this.
  14. Kobus May 18, 2016

Some people buy it, knowing it is fake.

I once told a very rich friend/family, wearing a Rolex, that I don't understand people willfully buying fake. He told me his was a fake. Lesson learned.

At least he was honest.

15. Willem023 May 18, 2016

Only fake people wear fake

(if they know they do.....):whistling:

My2Ksh
    W

16. on+time May 18, 2016

I have to agree with ulackfocus in that calling someone out really serves no purpose other than self gratification if that's your type of personality.
    I may end up being "looked down upon" for saying this but I find a watch that I myself have taken the time to source the parts, group them up and put together myself far more rewarding and gratifying than one I've just walked into an AD and purchased.
    Whether or not that makes it "a fake" merely depends on individual outlook.
    I once told a buddy: "there are likely millions of people that can say the own a Submariner...but how many can say the built it themselves ?

Steve9pm and Willem023 like this.
  17. on+time May 18, 2016

I have to disagree with you there.
    There's a big difference between not being able to afford a certain model and simply not "wanting" to afford it.
    I've seen some pretty solid guys wearing some pretty nice " less than factory assembled" Daytona's and I wouldn't exactly call them fake.

18. repoman May 18, 2016

Called out... no. Asked "hey, I hear you know a lot about watches, what can you tell me about this one?"... Twice I've had to respond "I'm really sorry to tell you, that is not an authentic watch" (in both cases it was a fake Rolex; one from Granddad, once from Uncle).

Edited May 18, 2016
  19. Willem023 May 18, 2016

If a friend or relation of mine wears a watch, bought somewhere in the East for USD20 and wears it, be my guest. But my previous statement still applies :coffee:
    I will stay far from that, but I most probably am a purist.
    And 'less than factory assembled' is beside the point IMO: same is the discussion 'is a redial or a watch that is maintained over the years and hands were changed in the proces 'original' yes or no'. ::book::::book::

And yes, some people can not afford some things they want. Nor can I. ::shy::
    I wear a steel Swatch (real one..:p) most of the time, because I can not afford some other ones to be stolen or damaged too much.

Hey, that is life.:thumbsup:

My2Ksh
    W

20. Willem023 May 18, 2016

And btw: I do not call people out.
    No use and no need to worsen a fine relationship to start with.
    Unless they are so very much proud of their (again: well known) bargain and brag about it....::rimshot::