Forums Latest Members

Have To Say, This Is Rather Sad And Pathetic

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 8, 2013

Wetworks likes this.
  2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 8, 2013

Agree.

3. Bwana1 Apr 8, 2013

It's a sick & troubled world these days, the nay sayers should quit drinking so much.

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 9, 2013

To disagree with her values or politics is acceptable.

To perform like a hateful mob denigrating someone who is unable to respond is the act of the dross of society.

The trouble is, we haven't had a good big war for some time, in the old days it was a way to clear the dross.

The trouble is, we have shitty little wars being fought by the best we have, and we are losing them.

Politics and war, never a good mix for convivial conversation.

Hope I don't offend anybody.

5. ulackfocus Apr 9, 2013

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

6. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 9, 2013

You'll notice that the UK members are keeping quiet over this topic...

To say that she was a divisive figure doesn't come close to touching the surface of the deep and long lasting changes her ideology imposed on the country. Obviously, I don't condone celebrating anyone's death (Saddam Hussein anyone ?) but there were a lot of communities and personal lives that were either completely destroyed or enriched due to those policies & that still resonates deeply among those affected. She was both denigrated and revered throughout her political career and later life - and she seemed to revel in both.

Mrs Thatcher actually made plenty of responses to all this sort of stuff over a very long period - death threats weren't out of place & she carried on regardless. The IRA nearly delivered on the death threats & she only narrowly escaped death when they blew her up. That didn't put her off either. The "Iron Lady" tag didn't come about for nothing.

It's difficult to convey this stuff even to younger folks here who didn't live through that period. All said, I don't think I'd go along with the "mental issues" / "dross of society" comments. A lot of people had their way of life destroyed by an ideology they never agreed with & the country was deeply polarised to a degree that seemed completely out of place for the 20th Century. It's understandable that some people still carry scars from that.

jbibz, Bwana1, Mothra and 1 other person like this.
  7. Nick F 05 Apr 9, 2013

That is messed up

8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 9, 2013

Pathetic in deed.

Mrs Thatcher's American counterpart, Ronald Regan, did some rather unpopular things in his time, one of the most glaring being his complete inaction during the early years of the AIDS crisis, but I don't recall anyone dancing in the streets upon his death.

Seems at times the entire world has lost its civility.

pascs likes this.
  9. jbibz Apr 9, 2013

Well put, being from a mining family myself I thought it best not to comment. Yours was a reasoned post and I too do not condone some peoples actions but for everyone else, you can not just condone their reactions either, this really is a case of you had to live it to really understand it.
    Regards Peter

pascs likes this.
  10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 9, 2013

Well said, and makes things clearer.

The ignorance of distance does make it difficult to comprehend the events on the other side of the world sometimes.

11. Trev The Architect Staff Member Apr 9, 2013

I'd bet this guy doesn't know where he is or why he's celebrating:
    weirdguy.jpg

12. Trev The Architect Staff Member Apr 9, 2013

Canadian here (born in the 80's), with only general knowledge of British political history.

I assumed that any celebration was in rather poor taste. I couldn't understand how that sort of behaviour was justified. However, after reviewing her history and policies in more detail it now makes a lot more sense. What a horrible leader. The world needs less people like her.

Unfortunately she nearly made it to 90, so I think she's had the last laugh.

13. ulackfocus Apr 9, 2013

Dude, like, there's a party.

14. Trev The Architect Staff Member Apr 9, 2013

Wants to get home to his bong, but the walk seems like too much effort :)

15. ulackfocus Apr 9, 2013

Looks more like he already had a chat with the bong and wandered out in search of munchies.

16. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Apr 10, 2013

He knows. He's been waiting for this moment ever since he saw "Billy Elliot".

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  17. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 10, 2013

As in life, so in death... it's quite astounding really.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...may-turn-into-security-nightmare-8566452.html

"Politicians from across the political spectrum urged members of the public who disliked Lady Thatcher or her politics to show restraint. Tony Blair said: "Even if you disagree with someone very strongly – particularly at the moment of their passing – you should show some respect." When asked if he was worried there would be similar celebrations when he dies, he said: "When you decide, you divide. I think she would be pretty philosophical about it and I hope I will be too."

The Tory MP Conor Burns, a regular visitor of Lady Thatcher, said she would have been pleased by the reaction. "Funnily enough the parties that we're seeing, the things in some of these mining communities and those young people opening the champagne in Glasgow – they're a remarkable tribute to her," he said.

"I remember telling her about the TUC Congress selling the Thatcher 'death party packs'. She said the fact that they felt so strongly about her more than 20 years after she left Downing Street was a tribute to the fact she had done something in politics rather than simply been someone."

Martin McGuinness, Northern Ireland's Deputy First Minister, said people should "resist celebrating", adding: "She was not a peacemaker but it is a mistake to allow her death to poison our minds."

Former miners in Easington, Co Durham, will mark the 20 years since their pit closed with a party on the day of her funeral. Alan Cummings, chairman of the Durham Miners' Association, said the timing of the events was "remarkable" and "one of those quirks", adding: "She couldn't be cremated on a better day."

He added: "We are inviting ex-miners and their families to go back over their memories of the strike and what has happened since the closure of the pit. I couldn't stand her. She had a very patronising manner and I could have put my foot through the television whenever I saw her on there.
    "We opposed and hated everything she did. She has wrecked thousands and thousands of lives so, no, it's not in poor taste. We can understand why people are happy and rejoicing that she has gone because they remember these communities have never recovered." "

18. jbibz Apr 10, 2013

It is just inviting trouble, ten million for her funeral, although government will not confirm. If correct I do not see how it can be justified