Forums Latest Members
  1. Vik Apr 23, 2014

Just purchased my first Omega- found in a thrift store. Really nice shape and runs great. Did some research online(including this forum) to try and understand what it is, but wasn't able to find everything I was looking for. And so I've joined this forum to go ahead and ask the questions.

Markings on watch:
    Face: Omega, Automatic
    Inside of caseback: 14K, Omega, Swiss Made, 10948075, 2576
    Movement: 342, 12067745

Based on the movement s/n i'm estimating this is from ~1950. Looking up the model 2576 on the Omega website, it identifies CK2576 as a Seamaster.

So my questions are the following:
    - Is this really a Seamaster? there is no Seamaster marking on the face.
    - All the 2576 series watches I found online had a"-" and a number following 2576 on the caseback. For example "2576-11". I didn't find any that were marked only as "2576" like mine is. Is that a rarity or am I just having bad luck finding this specific model?
    - Most interestingly(or concerning), is the face does not have a "SWISS" marking on it, but the face seems original to me. I haven't been able to find any Omega watches without some SWISS marking below the 6 on the face. Did Omega make any watches without SWISS on the face?

I've attached a couple pictures to help with answering the questions.

Appreciate your help,
    Thanks,
    Vik.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2576 caseback.jpg 2576 face.jpg 2576 mvmt2.jpg
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 23, 2014

Yes, it is a Seamaster.

Second number after the reference number 2576-xx is the series number, 1, 2, 3, etc., yours would be the first in the series, nothing special.

The dial doesn't have Seamaster or SWISS because it has been poorly refinished.

3. Vik Apr 23, 2014

Well, that's a bummer. I'll still enjoy the watch (but maybe not quite as much as before). :)

Appreciate your feedback and quick response.

Thanx,
    Vik.

4. Vik Apr 23, 2014

Couple more questions now that I've thought a bit more about this:

- trying to understand "poorly refinished". what comes to mind for me is a poor job on the painting of fonts, coloring, text/logo alignment, and other details like that. but forgetting to place Seamaster and Swiss on the dial just boggles my mind- "poorly refinished" is being kind. it had to be on purpose, i'd think- but what would be the logic in doing that??

- and I have to ask now since it appears I've caught the bug going around here: so anyone have any good recommendations on where/how to get a better dial for this watch? :)

Thanks again,
    Vik.

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 23, 2014

Yes, I'm being kind. Most likely whoever did the refinish didn't have the correct fonts and script available so they did the best they could, which isn't saying much.

Your best bet is probably going to be finding a complete watch on eBay with a good dial to swap or at least have it properly refinished.

6. Vik Apr 23, 2014

thanks again. unfortunately, makes sense. :)

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 23, 2014