Forums Latest Members

Have I worn out my welcome or asked too many stupid questions?

1. Cal 1345 Aug 27, 2014

I really like the Seamaster quartz diver for my purposes, wearing, not collecting. I like the Bond style and the second hand sweep of the mechanical but I don't have a "Q" close by to occasionally adjust it for me so I think the quartz will work better for me. This is just a lot of money to me so I need to be sure of getting the real thing since my dads watch and whatever I buy will most likely be my only Omegas. Do those of you with keen minds and sharp eyes, think this is genuine and acceptable condition? It appears to be to me. If you care to offer an opinion on the price, I'd love to hear it as well. I'm sure if I wait, I may be able to find something a little cheaper but who knows when. I've contacted one of the notable sellers on this forum and he offered to look for me but I understand that he can't sell me what he doesn't have. Anyway, thanks for any help.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/191299886836?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Tom

2. ctime3 Aug 27, 2014

Maybe I am crazy but that seems like a good price?

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 27, 2014

Just note that he does admit that the bezel insert is a fake one. The serial number listed on the repair invoice and the case does match the reference of this watch, so that seems legit.

4. Cal 1345 Aug 27, 2014

C, I'm not crazy about the price at all but that's kinda what I'm asking, in addition to if it's real regardless of price. I guess I need to get off ebay and the forums, reading about these things for a while and wait to see if George can find me one. Thanks, maybe I just needed a slap.

5. Cal 1345 Aug 27, 2014

Archer, Supposedly the original bezel is included. I asked him about that and his reply was he does this on the watches to preserve the original, I saw he did the same thing on an earlier watch in an auction. Does anyone else do that? I know the bezel on my old Seiko looks like hell from wearing almost everyday, but then again it is 33 years old and not a collectable at all.

6. ulackfocus Aug 27, 2014

It's not a half-bad idea to preserve the original bezel by putting an aftermarket one on..... but then again, these are watches which are meant to be worn (implying they'll take wear).

7. LeDave Aug 27, 2014

I don't do that to my bezel but I do it to my bracelet. I have a Zulu/Nato hybrid strap on my SMPc, mainly because of two reasons; The original genuine bracelet is mad ugly in my opinion, and secondly to preserve the original bracelet from scratches. Since it's so ugly that I won't wear it, I have a excuse to say I am preserving the original band, because surely there's no point of wearing the watch if you're not going to accept wear and tear.

From my experience, the bracelet is like 50 times greater of being scratched than the face, bezel, case. Ok I may be exaggerating, maybe 5 times greater. So I don't think most people will swap out their bezel with an aftermarket one unless they bump their face against surfaces often, which I never do. I have been wearing watches for quite awhile now and have a grown a subconscious reflex of moving my arms freely away from edges when walking past doorways or tables, etc. However I cannot control the fact that the bottom of my bracelet will be rubbing against the table when I am sitting down for dinner

8. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Aug 27, 2014

It's a nice package but the non genuine bezel and quartz turn me off a bit. It's retail money for a quartz and I personally think you can do better. It's been well presented but I think the price should be negotiated if your really interested.
    By the way I see you have taste, this is my personal favourite with the black face.

Nitzbar likes this.
  9. yande Aug 28, 2014

On the Bezel thing..
    I removed the Bezel from my 70's Heuer Autavia MH 11630.
    I thought it looked a little banged up..
    I didn't do it to preserve it, I just... wanted "The Heuer" to look better... I didn't know any better at the time.
    Now I want that Original Banged Up Bezel back on my Heuer, for it deserves to be seen, for what it is, warts, wounds, stories and all.

It's not as if I am going to be mowing the lawn, fixing the car whilst wearing my Classic 70's Heuer.
    But then again, if I had a, A-4 Skyhawk Attack Jet to fly. (Argentinian Air force Falklands Conflict), to be honest, I would knock that bezel against that Jet to make sure it left a significant mark on that bezel!!
    Now that is a story, that only a Bezel would, and generally do, tell..

I've the 2254.50, and one of my most loved watches.