Forums Latest Members
  1. bubble Nov 2, 2014

$_12.jpg $_12ww.jpg hi could anyone tell me if I have paid a fair price for this watch I paid £365 it came with box and papers thanks if you can help

2. chickenman26 Nov 2, 2014

To quote Hillary Clinton, at this point, what difference does it make? You apparently thought it was fair. Nice watch . Enjoy it.

Stu

3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Nov 2, 2014

You probably overpaid some for this one. It is a fairly modern piece, Omega DeVille reference 396 2532, I think, circa 2000, not very collectible.

4. chickenman26 Nov 2, 2014

You don't think that watch is worth $585?

5. Lee CL Nov 3, 2014

well, you already owned, what is the point of thinking whether you have overpaid it or not?

Just wear and enjoy it.

6. bubble Nov 3, 2014

as I appreciate your advise, why do people keep saying does not matter what you paid just enjoy it.

I will enjoy watch im just after a bit of advice to ask if I have paid the right amount as I have never purchased a watch by omega.

im a bricklayer by trade and often give people advise if they are getting anything built so they don't get ripped OFF i might just start saying does not matter that you paid far to much for your new extension just enjoy it, I came to this forum for a bit of advice of the experts the people who know omega

7. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Nov 3, 2014

No I don't think it's too much at all considering you are in the uk, our prices are slightly higher than the U.S. Coming with box and papers it's not bad at all.
    It might not be the most desirable Omega from that era but then again it wouldn't have been that cheap either.

bubble likes this.
  8. M.D. Nov 3, 2014

bubble,

First, welcome to the forum!
    Second, I hope you're not getting upset with people's comments about not worrying about the price as long as you enjoy it. There's no malice here.

To comment on your analogy, the price on a building an extension to a house can be relatively easy to determine. In simple terms, cost of the labor + cost of the materials. Both should be known facts and thus the total cost can determined. Of course cost of labor and cost of materials can fluctuate and so someone may get ripped off, but let's save that discussion for a different thread.

Now, regarding watches. At some point there was an original retail value for a watch. But as time passes, that original starting point becomes less and less relevant. Prices become subjective. A watch worth a specific amount to one person may be worth more or less to another person. One piece of advice given here regularly is to check past sales on the internet such as eBay, this forum, etc. That will give you a general range of what things are selling for. That is what I believe you're looking for. What others who posted previously are referring to, though, is maybe you overpaid a little, maybe you didn't. But regardless, if you really like it, then you can consider what you paid worth it for you.

There's a part of all of us that want to find an amazing deal and there have been some good posts on this site with such examples. But I'm sure a lot of members here will also say that at some point they paid more than the general range for a watch because it was in great condition and / or they really wanted it for their collection. Hence it was worth more to them in that moment than it would have been to someone else.

Hope that helps.
    Michael

9. bubble Nov 3, 2014

Thank you

10. M.D. Nov 3, 2014

You're welcome. Before your next purchase, do your research, ask questions here, then purchase. You may at times miss an opportunity, but it's best to be patient and be informed before making a purchase.

Good luck.

DLT222 likes this.
  11. HiPo Nov 3, 2014

M.D. is right on. If you find out after purchasing that you overpaid you probably won't be happy. You will however know to inquire before buying. I say enjoy it. Period. You must like it because you bought it.

12. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 3, 2014

Considering the gold bits are solid 18K, I say you did just fine. Not a collectors watch, but certainly something you can be proud to wear.

Remember you bought it because you liked it.

tpatta likes this.
  13. davidswiss Nov 12, 2014

If you're happy with the watch then you paid the right price, don't worry about it. It's not a collectors piece at the moment but who knows what the future holds.

14. ikeo1 Nov 13, 2014

Too late to get validation. Enjoy it while it is in your hands... :)