Forums Latest Members
  1. t_swiss_t Nov 30, 2015

Hey all,

I was looking at getting a new loupe and wanted to know what loupe characteristics (magnification, aplanatic lens, field of view) or brands I should aim for. I'll probably be buying from Otto Frei unless someone else had a better source. I'd be using it just as an assessment tool for potential buys and not for repairs.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

Thanks!

Mad Dog likes this.
  2. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Nov 30, 2015

Amazon has a Bausch and Lomb 5X loupe for $8.99.

That said, a hand magnifier will work for that purpose just as well... even the magnifier on your Swiss Army knife.

Tom

t_swiss_t likes this.
  3. repoman Nov 30, 2015

4. Kwijibo Nov 30, 2015

Nikon, Bergeon, Zeiss.

t_swiss_t likes this.
  5. ezinternet Nov 30, 2015

I bought Bausch & Lomb 7x and 10x and rarely use the higher power one.

For me, the most important piece is the holder available from Ofrei for $5 or so; hope they don't mind my borrowing their illustration:

http://www.ofrei.com/page348.html

Bergeon 5461 Headband for In-the-Eye Loupes

Wire headband for eyeloupes, easy to use and to get used to. Holds loupe in place so you can get your work done without you thinking about your loupe. Shown above being used on a B & L Standard Watchmakers Loupe and would work just as well with the normal shape Asco Loupes and can also be used with Bergeon Aplanatic Loupes. Not really made to be used on the narrow style 10x to 20x loupes. " ofrei-601.jpg

Mad Dog and t_swiss_t like this.
  6. Kwijibo Nov 30, 2015

a 5x loupe is enough for most of the work. I hardly use some except for very precise things such as oiling. I agree ont he fact that a goof movement holder is very important. It's takes time to manage keeping the loupe stuck one your eyes ;)

t_swiss_t likes this.
  7. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Nov 30, 2015

I don't know much about loupes...but I do know that I like the Omega branded loupe that came with my Speedy Gonzales. In fact, I like it so much that I purchased another one [as a backup] from OF member @Speedy1. :thumbsup:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

8. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Nov 30, 2015

in a different price point I can't say enough about the Loupe Systems 10X Loupe...very high quality glass. Personally I find the 10X a must have, anything less is not quite strong enough for watches. They also have a LED option shipping soon.

9. Kwijibo Dec 1, 2015

Mad Dog likes this.
  10. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 1, 2015

I agree
    I have a 2 5 and 10
    And always use the 10
    Also have a 40x fold away jewellers loup with LED light to pop in my pocket for away days

11. mart Dec 1, 2015

Rubin & Sohn Triplet 10X20.5 mm