Forums Latest Members

Has the modern watch scene lost a bit of Spark lately...

1. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 15, 2021

Since the Snoopy (which doesn’t do it for me) I just don’t seem to see much spark in the modern watch world at the moment. Last 6 months.

There is nothing I find, must have or missed out on.

Happy to be proven wrong with a picture of what is your Spark (wanted modern watch) at the moment.

2. timjohn Apr 15, 2021

I’m with you. Unmoved by the deck-shuffling at Watches & Wonders —“wow, here’s the same watch they’ve been making since God was a boy, but it’s in green!!!”. I feel sorry for the reviewers: you’d have to buy a awful lot of class A drugs to maintain that Level of enthusiasm about such minor changes.

3. vbrad26 Apr 15, 2021

If I were to go out and buy a brand new watch right now it would probably be a Tudor BB with blue bezel or the BB GMT.
    And neither of those are all that exciting hah.

[​IMG]

(Middle and Right pictures)

And It'd probably just be the BB because part of me wants to save my GMT slot for a Polar 16570

noelekal and marco like this.
  4. Evitzee Apr 15, 2021

Prices have gone to silly levels and most watches aren't even available from most dealers. Very odd.

The Snoopy watch craze I could never understand, yet people have put some hefty deposits down for a supposedly guaranteed delivery sometime in the undefined future. Great business model.

But no spark for me, either.

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 15, 2021

Now Tudor is just a sad sap to me..... The automatic sports car watch brand.....

You can’t have a Rolex, So here is it’s red headed step child we have plenty of.... No waiting list for these...... Look your almost Rolex cool

If you own a Tudor I will still like it on WRUW but for me I just don’t go much on them or their position in the watch scene.,

( nothing against red heads or step children )

6. connieseamaster Apr 15, 2021

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not watches that I'll ever own, but I enjoy the envelope pushing that they represent.

7. abrod520 Apr 15, 2021

Frankly I find quite the opposite - the vintage world these days has less and less that interests me, as prices go up and up and more of the interesting models get too expensive to wear. Meanwhile, Speedmaster LEs aside (yes they are quite boring lately IMO), the modern world is pretty interesting. I think the new Black Bay Chronos are really nice, I think IWC has been on a roll again these past few years with the 41mm Spitfire chrono and now extending the in-house movement and that reasonable case size to all Pilots Watch Chrono models. I also think that Omega's latest Seamaster 300M models of the last update are pretty great, and that refreshing the Seamaster 300 MC has reinvigorated that lineup even if they might not quite be for me.

Lots more temptations in the modern world now than ever before if you ask me

Dsloan, Kmart, Eve and 4 others like this.
  8. vbrad26 Apr 15, 2021

Ouch, the truth hurts haha.

kkt, Dries, vintage hab and 1 other person like this.
  9. redzer007 Apr 15, 2021

Regualary pick my Tudor over my Rolex. Fills a different need for me.

On the original point nothing is grabbing my attention at the moment either new or vintage. Think I have watch fatigue tbh

Dsloan, vbrad26 and STANDY like this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 15, 2021

While it might be true for some, it certainly isn't universal. I owned a Rolex before I ever owned a Tudor. I no longer have that Rolex, but I still have the Tudor - I'll probably never sell that one. I did get another Rolex after, but that doesn't take anything away from the Tudor.

Frankly this sort of thinking is why Rolex is less and less a brand I want to be involved in.

11. abrod520 Apr 15, 2021

Couldn't care less about Rolex, either vintage or modern. Just not interesting for the amount of money it costs (vintage) or the amount of trouble it takes to get one at a reasonable price (modern).

Tudor, on the other hand, already got me with the Black Bay GMT and certainly has my attention nowadays with the encouraging trends for their case sizing....

12. pdxleaf ... Apr 15, 2021

The Ulysse Nardin Freak X Bucherer Blue is pretty cool. Not affordable for me. Also a couple years old but still modern. But outside of the mid-level watches, I am still amazed at the innovations. Still, your point is made when comparing Omega, Tudor, Rolex etc. to more brands.

A Monochrome picture:

Ulysse-Nardin-Freak-X-Bucherer-BLUE-4-768x512.jpg
    I was looking for more references with the escapement on the dial but figured this sample would give you the idea. It's not to everyone's liking but the idea intrigues me. I don't generally care for skeletons but think the idea of an escapement on the face of the dial is brilliant.

eternalover likes this.
  13. Braindrain Apr 15, 2021

When I first became actively interested in watches, long ago, what drew me to them were fun designs at accessible (well, kinda, but you know what I mean) price points. For me, an entry level watch was a Bond/Pre-Bond SMP. As the designs got more and more mainstream with an never-ending march of price increases, I eventually lost interest in moderns and moved into vintage.

There are some new moderns that still excite me. Like the new Ming 17.09 that was just released. Great watch, nicely designed, accessible price point.

14. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Apr 15, 2021

The blue or green Glashütte Original SeaQ in 39,5mm is my next purchase, when the wire transfer for my left kidney comes through. I think it is a breath of “fresh” air.

4F6DE348-1201-415C-A8B7-5A6CF1B48B05.jpeg A400A3A2-1F3E-46FA-8DC4-C1AB6751BCCF.jpeg

Also check out the promo video on Youtube. Now that is a well executed watch ad, I think. The end shot of the guy holding the coffee mug, while standing next to his car is a couple of seconds too long and gets a little awkward :rolleyes: Otherwise nice and certainly appeals to me

Dsloan, Premaster, Knud and 5 others like this.
  15. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Apr 15, 2021

Standy, feel free to not 'like' this post.

IMG_3456.jpeg

Dsloan, Twocats, ChiefMark and 4 others like this.
  16. vbrad26 Apr 15, 2021

I was so excited for Tudor to release this watch, and then they did, and then I still just wanted the blue bezel Black Bay lol.
    I still like it a lot though.

blufinz52 likes this.
  17. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 15, 2021

I really like that silver BB58. But I can’t justify it as I have the first BB58 (a great watch). But want to see it in the flesh first before the final verdict. If the BB58 was a Rolex I think the Rolex shemozzzle would be even more ixnayed on the oxneigh than it already is. Funny thing with Tudor is although it has a separate branding, all the staff sit in the big green Rolex building in Biel...it’s essentially 1 company.

Dsloan, wristpirate and vbrad26 like this.
  18. vbrad26 Apr 15, 2021

Yeah I do like that BB 925. But again, nothing too exciting...

19. abrod520 Apr 15, 2021

I think it looks great, really like the bezel and dial color. Not sure about using silver for the case though but who knows. One I'd definitely like to see in person for sure

20. marcn Enough space to say witty Apr 15, 2021

Might not be much of a spark by others' standards, but for me, the 3861 got me to the mall before it opened so that I could have first crack at my OB's last remaining hesalite model from their first drop in January. I'd been on watch hiatus since 2017 when my little one was born, and all I can say is that it's this update that got the watch mojo flowing again for me.

I continue to be very impressed by what Omega is doing in their designs, and I for one can't wait to see these new Tresors and the SS SM 300 lollipop and the bronze gold, which I pray I'll hate on first sighting!

mydeafcat likes this.