Forums Latest Members

Has some watch "Journalism" lost touch with reality?

1. tyrantlizardrex Feb 26, 2017

In recent months it's become more and more "cool" to fire abuse at Hodinkee.

Accusations of being in the pockets of the brands they're allegedly writing objectively about abound.

Bile filled threads appear forums when the "dink" comment on (or list) watches that aren't legit, and that have often been called out days, weeks, months or years before hand as such by knowledgeable collectors.

Frankly, I've struggled to give a damn.

They're in bed with some brands?

Meh. They're making bank the only way they know how.

They don't always know as much about watches as hyper knowledgeable collectors?

Meh. Maybe they should ask for help rather than make bold statements of fact.

Today though, I hit the first thing that really made me think - "Really? Have you lost your fucking minds?"

In this article, about Ed Sheran wearing a Patek 5524G: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/e...-philippe-5524g-calatrava-pilot-in-british-gq

"But critical review aside, the 5524G remains one of the hottest sub $100,000 watches in the world..."

The hottest sub $100,000 watches in the world.

Allow that statement to sink in for a moment.

Let 30 seconds pass.

Maybe check the time.

I'm guessing your watch is sub $100,000... but is it one of the hottest?

What the actual fuck does that statement even mean?

Are there lots of super hot watches that are more than $100,000?

Who buys these things?

Are they readers of Hodinkee?

Are they now worried that their watches might not be as "hot" as Ed's?

I know there are levels in this game, but Hodinkee seem to have climbed so high into the rarefied air of Cuban Cigars, and 5 start hotel bars, that they've lost touch with what most collectors spend on watches, and are now reporting what's on the wrist of a Musician with a very high net worth, as if he's some guy that comes to a GTG.

Well maybe a RedBar GTG... but don't even get me started on those red trousered, braying, Wolf of Wall Street wannabes. Fuck.

Please make the douchebaggery stop!

Edited Feb 26, 2017
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 26, 2017

Great rant! As with any publication, one must read critically. Still a lot of great info on them but they won't bite the hand that feeds them.

3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 26, 2017

Edited Feb 26, 2017
  4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 26, 2017

Damn ... Chris you clean up good.

5. Bushido Feb 26, 2017

I think the problem is getting too caught up in the posturing and the ability to claim being the most elite of the elite. People whom spend thousands on a single mechanical watch is a small fragment of any given world region. This fragments even further into rarity when we talk of those of us whom have spent thousands on one wrist watch several times over. Within this world, how do you get your head above the rest of us in this small gaggle of aficionados? Go for the rarest of the rare vintage editions, LEs, or the most expensive and complicated.

This feels to me like the segment of our little population Hodinkee is attempting to write towards in many of their articles. Showcase, focus, and write about the watches consumed by a tenth of a percentile of the collector's market. An attempt to place their "journalism" above those of other blogs and at the same time, garner a following of watch fans whom wish to be in that infinitesimally small segment.

Personally, I may pop over to their site 1-2x/week. More often than not, it takes five seconds to see they have no new articles worth a damn and move on. On occasion, I will be surprised by an article I want to read and will click on it.

ajn3323, Linzer, Superdoc and 2 others like this.
  6. tyrantlizardrex Feb 26, 2017

Vitezi and Deafboy like this.
  7. tyrantlizardrex Feb 26, 2017

When your partners gets an invite to the Royal Garden Party, and you get told what to wear... :cool:

Larry S and Darlinboy like this.
  8. tyrantlizardrex Feb 26, 2017

"Remains one of the hottest watches in the world for pop stars that are friends with other pop stars..."

Euxinus and noelekal like this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 26, 2017

That's the world today Chris, average Joe wants to dream big:rolleyes:. Next time you travel just read the magazines jammed in the back of your economy airline seat. Full of reviews of $3000 a night hotels and $50k jewellery and watches.

Just look at Ed Sheran, you think if he could afford that watch he could afford a decent tattooist. :whistling:

10. tyrantlizardrex Feb 26, 2017

It's amazing how positive people can be about really expensive stuff when they get it for free... :whistling:

Or when they're worried about what their red trousered friends think.

noelekal, Bushido and Larry S like this.
  11. Gwade Feb 26, 2017

I agree with Chris. It reads like "douchebaggery" for sure... like tabloid writing my watch stream.

But how else can Patek promote such a piece as a desirable watch over an existing classic of the same value? I would guess the tiny population with that kind of cash for watches will be in that new watch market a short time before they get the bug, do their own research, and move into proven collectables.

For sure, the top brands give out those pieces to celebs for product placement, then blog around like this is a popular thing... Its all marketing smoke which is insulting to any seasoned collector at any level.

12. Traveler Feb 26, 2017

I think you're reading too much into this - I doubt very much Patek gave him this watch, or gives a damn if he wears it or not. He has enough cash to buy what he perceives as a nice watch - so what ? Personally I don't like this watch at all, and I doubt I'd buy it - but I do actually find it interesting to see he's wearing it. But then again, I also find it interesting to browse the Daily Mail every now and again.

13. tyrantlizardrex Feb 26, 2017

I have no doubt he bought it.

He has a lot of expensive watches... he wants to be cool so badly...

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 26, 2017

Have you considered writing to the BBC about Top Gear for the same reasons? :coffee:

Uniqez likes this.
  15. tyrantlizardrex Feb 26, 2017

Top gear in the format of the last 13 years has never claimed to be journalism... even the BBC list it as entertainment rather than documentary. ;)

propervinyl and Foo2rama like this.
  16. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Feb 26, 2017

17. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Feb 26, 2017

but does this mean my SKX isn't one of the hot under $100,000 watches?

I'm concerned.

Lucasssssss, Kmart, Andreas and 4 others like this.
  18. NT931 Feb 26, 2017

"Sub-$100k watches"?

Hell I know what gets my vote for the "hottest Sub-$1000 watch". It's my Seiko PADI ! Who cares about those "Sub-$100k" watches!
    [​IMG]

Unlike Ed Sheeran, I have no tattoos on my arm... :whistling:

nlogax, rcs914, Fritz and 6 others like this.
  19. Superdoc Feb 26, 2017

I hope that there is a bit of a revolt brewing...

Chris is quite astute... it may take others to catch on.. but the problem many of us are having with the 'Bloggers' is that they have become "advertorials" more than anything else..

They have started trading on our good will ... promising brands that they will serve up "easy prey" to them for a price. (red bar does the same thing on a smaller scale)..

We also resent the brands 'pandering' to the bloggers who have no skin in the game...

I like to think that I was responsible for no date on the Pt Globemaster, but I know that there were much more influential voices than mine... but the common ground was that we had all PAID a deposit on it... a blogger who gives an opinion is not speaking with any of his own $ most of the time...

That, and the fact that every watch they review is always an "amazing watch"...
    It always reminds me of the episode where Homer Simpson was a food critic...

Hodinkee recently put the Piaget Polo up in the company of the VC overseas and PP Nautilus... do you think Richemont had no influence on that?

for a great, honest review on that Piaget Polo , read this: https://www.fratellowatches.com/piaget-polo-s-controversional-watch/

can you imagine how that review may have looked if Robert-Jan had accepted sponsorship money from Piaget?

I have always told the PTB that watch collectors are too smart to fall for shills...

I am afraid that I may be wrong, but what scares me even more is the idea that they may not be that interested in collectors...

those easily influenced, "rappers" "ballers" "trust-fund kids" "saudi-princes" with more money than original thoughts, might just dump a ton of cash on whatever hodinkee serves up to them...

Any brand would push guys like us into oncoming traffic for a chance to reach that group...

I just hope that the watch buying community rises up to prove themselves smarter than for what the likes of Hodinkee are giving them credit.

And I hope that sites like Fratello get some recognition, respect, and reward for not selling their integrity to highest bidder...

I think that the current strategy of pandering to 'Bloggers' is a short game...

It may provide some good quarterly numbers, but the long game will always be in providing a quality product and selling to those who will instill that passion into the next generation....

Edited Feb 28, 2017
  20. aesguerra Feb 26, 2017

.................................................................................................................. Who the hell is Ed Sheeran?

:rolleyes::p:D

Alex
    San Mateo, CA