Forums Latest Members

Has anyone seen this engraving?

1. ELV web Apr 29, 2016

image.png I believe TF McElligott wrote a number of toxicology/bio chemistry related books (a doctor/researcher perhaps)?

Kettil likes this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 30, 2016

Stop teasing, show us the face!

meganfox17 likes this.
  3. meganfox17 Apr 30, 2016

Hi @ELV web
    Hi @JimlnOz

Jim i know that watch.That's a Universal Geneva Ref 52502 14 kt gold watch 36.5 mm O ATM long lugs Tri Compax / 3 Subdials made somewhere in the 1940s

Do you know stuff about Paracetamol toxic poisoning on the liver / Hepatotoxicity & effects of Paraquet poisoning on the kidney
    ( Nephrotoxicity ) at the biological & electron microscope molecular level ?
    Well...This Irish born researcher was initially a Medical Doctor travelling all over Africa in the late 50s , was THE ROCK STAR of the Pathology World in the 1960s , a Great Toxicologist & Scientist i think his name is something like ex Dean & Prof Dr Thomas Frank Mc Elligott.
    [​IMG]His name is etched as a great researcher in every chemistry , biology , pathology journals & medical books in college.
    That watch can fetch a price tag of over US 7000/ or higher if the right collector comes along.
    TF Mc Elligott died in 1993 . I'm guessing that watch has a alumni fratenity engravings thinghy given to him on the 25th Sept 1969

Edited Apr 30, 2016
    jimmyd13, Kettil, Jones in LA and 8 others like this.
  4. ELV web Apr 30, 2016

Wow thanks so much, I just picked the watch up last night from time titans. And oddly enough it was the engraving that got me to pull the trigger....

Jim, here are other pictures from the seller.

image.png image.png image.png image.png
    jimmyd13, Longbow, Kettil and 3 others like this.
  5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 30, 2016

Rather nice old chap.

We need to see movement shots when you get it.

And I think Megan needs a "Watch Detective" badge :D

hermes4, D YOUNG, Longbow and 6 others like this.
  6. ELV web Apr 30, 2016

Indeed, I was trying to find out for quite sometime but I couldn't, hats off to Megan.

Here is the movement btw, good old 287 UG

image.png
    jimmyd13, Longbow, Nitzbar and 3 others like this.
  7. meganfox17 Apr 30, 2016

Guys i'm still figuring out the number 40 . Mc Elligott graduated around 1952/53 from Meds School. So usually that means he was 24/25 yrs old. In 1969 he should be....40 !!!
    He had a great BFF ( Best Friends Forever ) Research partner in Dr Robert Prentice in late 60s & 70s.. i think Prentice gave McElligott the Watch !

Longbow, Severin and ELV web like this.
  8. Steve9pm Strangely obsessed with cheap manual wind watches. Apr 30, 2016

SO impressed Megan, good stuff

Longbow likes this.
  9. meganfox17 Apr 30, 2016

I was wondering why McElligott died relatively young . Now i now. Jim i guess poor McElligott didnt achieve the Trifecta & routine Screening of PSA levels was only introduced ironically around the time of his untimely demise[​IMG]

ELV web and JimInOz like this.
  10. Huus Apr 30, 2016

Great work Megan, you 've really done your research well. :thumbsup:

meganfox17 likes this.
  11. meganfox17 Apr 30, 2016

Hi @ELV web
    Howdie @Huus
    How's it Going @JimlnOz
    Hello @Steve9pm

Ok Guys ! I'm not totally convinced about the fratenity logo thinghy engraving. I doubt it very much ! [​IMG]
    Nope. It's not some cryptic message either[​IMG]
    No i dont buy it's a double helix DNA strand on the casing. Too technical aint worth the trouble.
    I mean Mc Elligott dedicated all his life looking into a Light Microscope then later thru an Electron microscope. The clue is in picture of him looking into the microscope ![​IMG][​IMG]
    Whoever engraved that symbol isnt exactly an artist but my Theory is.... That's a picture of a glass slide on the microscope stage. The so called triangular geometry on either side of the glass slide represent the slide holders or clippers.
    Those multiple dots represent human cells under the microscope. Compare with the diagrams i've posted
    Ok.. Some of you may disagree with me...that's cool... but can anyone else offer a better explanation ?
    Mc Elligott & Microscope on Back Casing makes much more sense right ?
    i mean Who Wouldn't buy a watch with microscope engravings to a dear friend who works in the Pathology Lab all his or her life.....?

Edited Apr 30, 2016
  12. CdnWatchDoc Apr 30, 2016

Hey Meganfox, I think you are close to solving the diagnostic dilemma. Pathologists spend most of their time looking down the eyepieces of microscopes, so it all makes sense to me. Even today with all the fancy tech, many pathologists still prefer their bi-occular scope. Fantastic find ELV!

meganfox17 and ELV web like this.
  13. Huus Apr 30, 2016

Dr Robert Prentice may still be alive today. If he is he may be able to clear this up.
    Again, well done Megan.

meganfox17 likes this.
  14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 30, 2016

We may be overthinking this. The number looks to me like some kind of military identification number, possibly from the UK?

I wonder if the picture is connected to military service, perhaps in the medical corps during WWII?

Nice work. Megan, perhaps you need a title. Associate ΩF InvestiGator, maybe?

Those decisions are made way above my pay grade.
    gatorcpa

meganfox17 likes this.
  15. meganfox17 May 1, 2016

Hi @ELV web

Just asking a question here.
    When a Universal Geneva Tri Compax is fully restored polished or the movements are replaced with Non NOS dials ? how much does it affect the value of the watch ?
    [​IMG]This was the original condition of your watch[​IMG]
    I wish i could have seen the watch Dr McElligott was wearing in this photo in 1980. Damn !
    33rd US President Harry S Truman had the same watch in 18 K Gold[​IMG]

Edited May 1, 2016
    Miss_Bourginskay likes this.
  16. ELV web May 1, 2016

The value is down by quite a bit for sure. But one thing with UG is the reference only tell you the case shape to be exact, it doesn't tell you what the dial or the hands should look like. It is a bit of mix and match ;)

Believe below is same reference but with different DiaL (belongs to @littlesheep81 )

What is more important is to spot that the dial and the hands are period correct. It is really not easy but there is a huge source of information on omega forum UG thread.

image.jpeg
    GregH and meganfox17 like this.
  17. danomar May 1, 2016

This is why I like vintage, used watches. You cannot get this sort of story with a new one. Thanks for sharing!

18. ELV web May 2, 2016

@meganfox17 what do you make of the flick photo you posted "T.F. McElligott, not someone you challenge to a bare knuckle boxing match". Is that the prior owner of The watch making the comment?

Edit: sorry I found out by just googling, he is actual person behind the name time Titans (the current seller)

19. meganfox17 May 2, 2016

Hi @ELV web

Of course the previous owner made that comment because McElligott was giant Irishman!
    He's like Dwyane The Rock Johnson tall at 193/194 cm / 6 foot 4 1/2 inch weighing about 97-100 kg. LOnly a fool would challenge Mc Elligott to a fist fight

P/s It's quite easy judging McElligott's height when he's standing in the 2nd row ...Especially when you can compare him with a couple of Asian midgets standing nearby . The shortest Guy standing is the Indonesian followed by the Japanese.Both ~ 5 foot 1 -2 inch tall

Edited May 4, 2016
    ELV web and Miss_Bourginskay like this.
  20. ELV web May 8, 2016

The watch arrives...

image.jpeg
    Severin, Hijak, JimInOz and 2 others like this.